GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script The great utility rip-off - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The great utility rip-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great utility rip-off

some time ago I swapped my gas and electric supplier to First Utility as they were the cheapest for my volume of usage.

During the past year I have built up a credit of £160 and am now moving onto an even cheaper tariff with them for the next 12 months.

As part of the 'process' I have asked them to refund the credit balance and adjust (down) my direct debit due to the fact the costs is going to be around 20% less than what I've being paying...and gosh, what a trial this has been.

After several emails and promises they would phone me back I eventually had to ring them up..I got a rather stroppy person who tries to persuade me I needed to keep the credit 'for winter'...then she said I need to leave one months payment still in credit (despite another payment being due next week)...after some effort she then said she'd have to get this approved, and put me on hold for 2 minutes...then she came back and said it had been submitted for 'authorisation' and if 'authorised' we be paid back to me in 10 working days. Then I got an email later saying it would be 'around' 15 working days......meanwhile they want me to keep the direct debit the same as before, despite the cheaper tariff.

This is what they will be doing with all their customers, no doubt, and will have £m's no doubts sat in their bank as an interest free cash sum for them to avoid having to borrow money no doubt. It's a right scam.

I've threatened them with leaving, I've demanded payment 'within 24 hours' and had no response...if they don't like what you say..they just ignrore you...make it hard to communicate and when you do you always get a different person who replies without having read the history, so you get contradictory answers all the time.No doubt deliberate.

I've now got mad with them (as you do) and made a formal complaint about the process...but guess what....no reply.

I don't want to come off the tariff because it's the cheapest on the market...but the price i'm paying in frustration and providing them an interest free loan is really annoying me.

I'm minded to cancel the next direct debit due next week and tell them they already have enough money in my account to pay the next 2 or 3 bills...I'm sure they would soon be on the phone to me then....I don't mind building up credit during the summer, within an overall annual plan, to cover the winter months...but this is a carry over at the end of the yearly cycle, and they should pay me back straight away, shouldn't they ?

Any suggestions on how to get blood out of a stone would be welcomed !!

Re: The great utility rip-off

Same thing with us. Were with them also. Cept the amount we were in credit by outweighed our winter usage so they had no argument. Also we logged online and just changed it rather than listen to them
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I'd be heading back to Compare the Meerkat. (I only use them as my grand daughter is obsessed with Oleg )
      They promise lower instalments which is fine for the first year then they start front loading the payments so effectively they're getting paid in advance. Take control.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
        Same thing with us. Were with them also. Cept the amount we were in credit by outweighed our winter usage so they had no argument. Also we logged online and just changed it rather than listen to them
        nice one...I am unable to alter the amount of the direct debit as it is a locked field on their website...and i can't alter it at my bank either, only delete it,....hmmm...that would make them take notice...think i'll do that and see what happens....or will I ??

Comment

Spoke to the wife. She said check their terms because she remembers it says if you are more than £90 in credit you have a right to demand a refund
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

well that worked okay...£161 credited to my bank tomorrow... just need to sort out the tariff change and new direct debit now... I prefer standing orders as you have more control over them, might chase that up some day...?

Comment

Originally posted by cardiac arrest View Post
              well that worked okay...£161 credited to my bank tomorrow... just need to sort out the tariff change and new direct debit now... I prefer standing orders as you have more control over them, might chase that up some day...?
              Well done cardiac arrest
              "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Well done, glad you got that sorted!

Elsa - we love Olegs too!
                When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Working...
                X