GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Alton Towers - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alton Towers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alton Towers

Righty then, the battle is afoot with Alton Towers, this morning i lodged the following complaint with them.

Complaint: I brought my family to the Alton Towers resort for a two day stay between 25th -26th May 2013. We stayed in the Alton Towers hotel on Saturday night. Below are my notes of the visit. I have to say that from the motorway, the park is poorly signed, when we went to Chessington, Thorpe park, Paultons Park, they were all signed from the motorway, however Alton Towers does not benefit from this luxury. So, on arrival i find out that the Smiler Ride is not working, now on Sky the night before, there's an advert telling everyone to come to the park and ride the new ride, the ride that isnt working!!!!. So we felt a tad deflated at that, but we decided to carry on and make the best of it even though the kids were disappointed. So, we get into the park,brought my lad a toy, when we got it back to the hotel, it was buggered, the batteries were brown with corrosion and leaked everywhere. We queued up for over an hour to get on a ride called "Rita", we got to the front of the queue, only for the ride to break down, we then waited for ages, then they made an announcement telling us that they had decided to close the ride. Half of the afternoon was lost on this alone. And whats worst, nothing to compensate us at all. Now ive read their terms and conditions and i know there are clauses that say no liability for closed rides etc, so i get that, but it don't stop me from feeling really let down after spending a LOT of money on this place. Sooo, we decided to abandon the day and go back to the hotel, before we left the park, i made a point of asking a member of staff one question. That was as follows " As a hotel guest, i understand the park opens at 9am?" yes i am told, so i asked a second question " so, if i come in at 9am, i can get on Air,Ripsaw and Nemesis?" yes sir you can. So we go back to the hotel planning our second day in the park. We had a meal in the Secret Garden restaurant, my daughter had fish in batter with chips, she said it didn't taste right, although i put it down to my daughter being fussy, however, at night i don't think that i was right, because she had serious stomach cramps and shyte everywhere. Soooo, we start day two. We get to the monorail station and the bloke there tells us, "its broken down and we don't know why" any idea when it will be fixed? no, any idea when the mechanics will be here? no, so i tried to catch the guy, to ask how to get to the park from the hotel as it isnt sign posted or shown on their map of the park that they gave us, the bloke just ignored me and walked off. Anyway, we manage to get to the park eventually, and we get in, we go to the back of the park to get on Air, Ripsaw, and Nemesis, and as were walking towards the ride some bloke walks in front of us and say that we cant go there. So i asked why, and i was told only one ride in this area opens before 10am and that's nemesis. So i asked when the others open, 10am im told, and the arcades too? yes he said. Well he was wrong, the arcade opened at 10:17am and frankly at this point the kids were pretty upset, they had to walk all the way to the back of the park and couldn't go on anything other than nemesis which my lad was too small for and there was nothing else open for him to go on. I feel that the staff had given out bad misinformation there which did impact on our day. I mean you expect staff to know how their park operates. So, on leaving the park, my daughter and son ask for a hoodie each, to remember the park as like a souvenir, so we buy them a hoodie each from the shop, we get home and my daughter tries hers on, and it literally falls apart, she put her had in her pocket and there was a huge hole in the pocket and the stitching hadnt bitten on the pocket at all. To top it all off, Friday evening, during the soaps on ITV, there was an advert inviting customers to come to alton towers to ride the smiler ride, yes, thats the one that broke down and didnt work!!! Oh and to top it off, we went to the smoking area on the map near Fried Chicken in the area of Oblivion, we couldnt see any signs for the area, but checked on the map we were in a smoking area, so my partner lit up a cigarette, she was told in no uncertain terms (rather rudely) that she could not smoke there and was told she had to move to a smoking area or if she continued she would have to leave the park. When we pointed out the map said we were in a smoking area, we were told the map must be out of date, but that we were still in the wrong. Well the "map" was one we were given on entry to the park, so if it was out of date is that our fault? was that right to threaten to throw us out over? I look forward to hearing from you!!.

Re: Alton Towers

Never did like that place
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

you didn't have a good Bank Holiday weekend after reading that!

I like the article on Alton Towers T&C About children classed as an Adult at the age of 12+, but can't enter the park unless with an Adult aged 18 yrs or over but they class an 12+ year as an Adult for a Entry Ticket fare........Contradicts itself really...........

No child or children under the age of 12 will be admitted to the Theme Park unless they are accompanied by an adult who shall be 18 years or over and such child or children whilst on site must remain under the control or supervision of an adult at all times
      we stayed at a very nice B&B in Alton Village and went to a local pub where there was Draft Beers..........
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Quite a different story to this one:

Diary of a Benefit Scrounger: A Strange Tale of Corporate Generosity

Comment

It is not likely to have been a place I would have visited anyway, as it seems to be geared up for families; but it is definitely on the avoid list after reading that.

SH

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
            loved it

very different to the op

Comment

I would have wished and prayed they said it was "illegal" to smoke in that area, would have loved to jump on them about what the law actually says regarding smoking.

Comment

I hope they do right by you on this Paul.

I know they have those clauses in regards to rides being closed, however if they are advertising on the TV the day before, and you actually made the trip to the park on the back of this, its pretty poor.

And as for the cost - it seems most places now are looking (at least) to get £100 out of a family of 4 even if its some crappy farm park with a mangy chicken and an arthritic goat.

Most theme parks seem to cost double that, plus food, plus petrol etc and you're well on the way to 4 tonne for a day out.

When you can fly the family to south of france for a week for close to the same cost I think theme parks need to raise the bar a bit on meeting peoples expectations. Theres no excuse for shoddy quality on gifts etc.
                "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

What a disappointing weekend! The very least they can do is reimburse what you have spent.
                  When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

LOL I mystery shop Merlin group and their hotels.... sadly they have issues all the time. I do have names of people if you want some help.

Comment

I went to Alton Towers once and it was a big disappointment. Many of the rides didn't work, food wasn't very good, it was all disorganised and staff were unhelpful. I wouldn't go again.

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
                        LOL I mystery shop Merlin group and their hotels.... sadly they have issues all the time. I do have names of people if you want some help.
                        that's handy!

Originally posted by finechina View Post
                        I went to Alton Towers once and it was a big disappointment. Many of the rides didn't work, food wasn't very good, it was all disorganised and staff were unhelpful. I wouldn't go again.
                        The last time i went there (about 5 years ago) enjoyed the rides available, although due to the queues it isn't possible to get on that many during the day which is a shame.
                        Rita was working and was good fair play.
                        When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

The Alton Towers website says that The Smiler is closed.

Did you look at the website before you went Paul? Though it's unfair of them to be still advertising it on TV when it's not working. I bet loads of people were caught out.
                          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                            The Alton Towers website says that The Smiler is closed.

Did you look at the website before you went Paul? Though it's unfair of them to be still advertising it on TV when it's not working. I bet loads of people were caught out.
                            They emailed me, the day before we travelled, however at that point id already left to travel up. # they emailed on friday, but i had left to go to my mothers at that point, just to clarify, as i stayed at my parents, then travelled up from there

Its not just the smiler being broken down, if it were then that would have been something that id have turned ablind eye to, but its the rest, there were more issues than ive posted, but those were the main ones for sure.
                            Last edited by Paul.; 29 May 2013, 15:01.

Comment

I know it wasn't just The Smiler being broken down that caused you problems

Big businesses think they can get away with stuff like that. They hadn't reckoned on you visiting!
                              Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Working...
                              X