GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Holidays, health cards, travel insurance and you?? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holidays, health cards, travel insurance and you??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holidays, health cards, travel insurance and you??

Each year, more than 45 million UK residents head off overseas either on holiday, business, visiting friends and relatives, or to study. With so many of us going abroad, often for long periods of time, there is always the possibility that you or one of your family members might need medical treatment at some stage. For UK residents travelling to Europe, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is a useful addition to travel insurance.

How the card works

The EHIC was first introduced in 2006 and replaced the E111 form. It gives the card holder access to state medical care in all 27 countries of the European Union and the four members of the European Free Trade Area - Lichtenstein, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland. The thinking behind the scheme is that access to state medical care should be available throughout the entire EU to all EU citizens. However, in practice, if your condition can be treated back in your country of origin, it should be, because the EHIC and E111 were not introduced to encourage medical tourism in which people specifically travel to member states to obtain medical treatment. An EHIC does cover pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care, as long as you are not specifically going abroad with the intention of giving birth overseas.

Exclusions

The EHIC card does not provide you with cover outside of the 31 countries of the EU and EEA. There is some public confusion here. In the past Abta has come across examples of visitors to Turkey or North Africa incorrectly relying on their EHIC. If in doubt as to which countries accept an EHIC check the NHS website. The NHS website is also the place to go to apply online for an EHIC, which is available free of charge.

EHIC Application Link:

Apply for a free EHIC card - Healthcare abroad - NHS Choices

More Info, Learn About the EHIC:

Apply for a free EHIC card - Healthcare abroad - NHS Choices
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Holidays, health cards, travel insurance and you??

Holidaymakers warned as Spain blocks EHIC usage

Care managers using backhanders to divert Spain's tourists from free EU scheme.Holidaymakers heading for Spain are being warned that hospitals and clinics are increasingly paying inducements and sweeteners to trap tourists with big bills for treatment. Tour operators, taxi drivers and even the police are offered backhanders for directing tourists to cash-strapped hospitals, according to insurers....Read more here AAD Blog Forums: Holidays, health cards, travel insurance and you?? - allaboutFORUMS
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

EHIC: WHAT IS COVERED IN EACH COUNTRY?

Austria: Treatment is free provided the doctor has a contract with one of the regional health insurance offices. If an uncontracted doctor treats you, you will be charged.

Belgium: You are required to pay a doctor for healthcare, but you might be able to claim back 75 per cent of the costs. Check the doctor accepts the EHIC before getting treated.

Bulgaria: Around 90 per cent of doctors in Bulgaria are registered with the National Insurance Fund, but always check.

Cyprus: Treatment is available from doctors in state healthcare centres, but you will be charged 2 euros per visit. You might be able to claim back.

Czech Republic: If the doctor is registered with the CMU, you will pay a small charge. If the doctor isn't registered you will have to pay the full costs.

Denmark: Consultations are covered but you'll need to check the doctor is registered. If you don't show your EHIC you might be charged but you can usually claim back.

Estonia: You will be liable to pay for a proportion of the costs for any medical treatment, including home visits. These are not refundable.

Finland: You must show your EHIC and passport or other travel documents to get reduced cost treatments. Some are free but others may be charged.

France: Make sure your doctor/dentist is registered. If you're admitted to hospital you must show your EHIC. Inpatients will have a daily hospital charge. If you are admitted and have treatment then you will be charged a flat-rate contribution of 18 euros in addition to the daily hospital charge or 20 per cent towards your treatment.

Germany: You may be asked to pay for any treatment upfront and then seek a refund in the UK (standard payment is 10 euros). Show your EHIC when you're admitted.

Hungary: Medical treatment is only given at surgeries contracted with the OEP. A fee is charged of around 2 euros per visit. A larger fee of 3-4 euros is due for any out of hours treatment.

Greece: Remember in Greece that when consulting a private doctor or dentist you will have to present the EHIC and pay all charged upfront and then claim back from Greek authorities.

Ireland: In emergencies go directing to an A&E unit of any public hospital. No charge.

Iceland: Prescription charges vary in the various districts, ranging from 0 to 100 per cent, according the category. You must provide proof of EHIC or pay the full amount.

Italy: Check the doctor is registered with the SSN, as its services are normally free.

Latvia: A standard fee is charged when visiting the doctor, although under 18s will not be charged. Health clinics do not charge for emergency or intensive care.

Liechtenstein: The EHIC will cover any visit to a public health scheme doctor. You will be charged 67 Euros, which can be reimbursed when back in the UK. All medicines are free.

Lithuania: Treatment is free of charge under the EHIC scheme. Always present the EHIC with a valid passport before any consultations or treatment is administered.

Luxembourg: Travellers will need to pay for treatment first, then claim back from the CMO, who will fully fund any stay in hospital or medicine. Always show EHIC.

Malta: Treatment is available from doctors in public health centres but remember to show the EHIC before receiving help. Any medication is free for the first three days only.

Norway: There will be a standard fee for treatment in Norway, but you may be able to claim in back in the UK. In most cases, prescribed medicines will be charged.

Netherlands: Consult a doctor working under the AGIS scheme and treatment will usually be free. Ensure you always show the EHIC before receiving treatment.

Poland: Look for health providers working under the state healthcare scheme, marked with the NFZ logo.

Portugal: State healthcare is provided without charge for all appointments with the local doctor, dentist and state-run hospitals. Show EHIC on admission.

Romania: If you need to see a doctor, dentist, pharmacist or need to go to hospital, you should check if they're working with the Casa Nationala de Asiguarari de Sanatate.

Slovakia: Consult a doctor who works under the Slovakian health insurance system. A daily charge is due for inpatient hospital treatment (maximum 21 days). All other services are free, but there may be substantial non-refundable charges for complex procedures. Out-patient treatment is charged.

Slovenia: Consult a doctor registered with the HIIS. Even with the EHIC, standard patient contribution must be paid. If you don't have an EHIC then you will be charged full treatment costs. This is non-refundable in Slovenia but you may be able to get a reimbursement in the UK. Emergency services are free.

Spain: State provided healthcare is free with EHIC, but private healthcare is charged and is non-refundable. If payment is requested upfront, you are probably receiving private health care.

Sweden: Check that the doctor is part of an affiliated public insurance scheme. Charges are not refundable and vary between 10-15 Euros per treatment. Patients under 20 years old will be treated free of charge.

Switzerland: Check the doctor is registered with the Swiss public healthy authority and always show your EHIC. Normally you will have to pay for treatment and then claim it back.
      Last edited by 5corpio; 16 April 2013, 10:06.

Comment

Car hire fuel ruse leaves holidaymakers fuming

Rental firms are finding new ways to sting holidaymakers, with a petrol policy that will leave your wallet running on empty. Holidaymakers hiring a car abroad this summer are being warned about a worsening car rental rip-off – firms that make you pay up front for a full tank of fuel, then insist you return the car empty. In recent years car hire outfits across Europe have increasingly adopted "full-to-empty" fuel policies as a way to increase revenues. The policy, which can easily add £50 to the cost of hiring a car, is particularly rife in Spain where it is increasingly difficult to find a car hire that will let you return a vehicle with a full tank of petrol. Some firms now insist on full-to-empty on all rentals, while others only apply it to hires of four days or more. What's more, holidaymakers often have to pay an inflated price for the tank of petrol. Some are reporting being asked to hand over €90 (£77) to cover a tank of petrol on a small car, which if bought at a local garage would cost only €50 (£43)......Read more here

Comment

Be careful with cruises. They assume that you have travel insurance to pay your way. The medical facilities are basic and they are not equipped to the standard of a cottage hospital or modern GP's surgery.

The ships are registered in Bahamas or somewhere, which means they do not respond to GMC or other national medical boards and they staff are self employed contractors. This also means that the shipping company does not take responsibility for their actions.

You also need to pay directly to the medical centre and claim back on insurance. Difficult if you are having a heart attack. You can leave the ship with £10000 debited to your credit card.

The ship is a floating hotel and there are trips booked for 1000's at each port with a big mark up. As they would lose £100000s, the captain will not ever change course or slow down even if it results in you dying.

Comment

Holidaymakers urged to check EHIC with 4.5m to expire this year - Read more HERE at aad blog

Comment

Working...
            X