GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Gardening: Tips and Advice 2 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gardening: Tips and Advice 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardening: Tips and Advice 2

A thread for us gardener's or growers, novices or pro's. Join in sharing pictures, tips and tricks, store bargains and offers, mistakes and disasters and generally having a chat about our woes (and joys) of growing all things beautiful or yummy!
    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Re: Garden Corner: for the green fingered amongst us - Part 2

See you've been doing some thread pruning IF

Comment

Originally posted by IF View Post
      A thread for us gardener's or growers, novices or pro's. Join in sharing pictures, tips and tricks, store bargains and offers, mistakes and disasters and generally having a chat about our woes (and joys) of growing all things beautiful or yummy!

I think i posted on this thread when i first joined about growing my own veg garden, the thing is we only like savoy cabbage leeks and carrots , are these hard to grow ?

Comment

I've grown all of them so they can't be hard to grow!!
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
          See you've been doing some thread pruning IF
          "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

My garden is a no go area at the moment It's been taken over by rats again, courtesy of a nearby flooded beck.
            The beggars are fearless, just run around in the open, climbing the bird feeder pole to eat the suet balls.
            I found new homes for my beloved ducks a couple of months ago as I thought their food was attracting them, but they're back anyway. Now I can't feed my poor garden birds and daren't go out without a stick to hand.

We put poison down on Friday but they haven't touched it. My tesco order today includes a 6 pack of cheap chocolate mousse to mix with it...

But they don't know about my secret weapon yet..

We also had a mouse under the kitchen cupboards. The cat was going mad tracking it but it never came out. After hearing it gnawing I sent for a Peststop Mouse and Rat Zapper from Amazon by next day delivery ...has 4 large batteries and electrocutes them instantly if they go for the bait. (I can't use poison in the house cos of the cat).
            Put it in bottom cupboard last night...one poor little dead mouse this morning. I hate killing things, I feel so guilty now, but was worried it would chew through wires, apart from the health hazard.

Once I'm sure there's no more mice, the zapper is going in the shed loaded with peanut butter...

I feel like wily coyote!
            Last edited by Undercover Elsa; 31 December 2012, 08:20.

Comment

Just bumping this thread as it's finally warm enough to get back in the garden.
              We're now completely rodent free too, which helps!

Spent the last 2 weeks removing old larchlap fencing and hand building a replacement, and relandscaping the whole back garden. We've filled a maxi skip over the last few days. Another couple of days and I can start planting.

I'm looking for a nice compact shrub that tolerates shade to brighten up a darkish corner. Flowers that last through summer... any ideas?

Comment

Ok all you greenies

why did my carefully bought and hidden in luggage tulips from Amsterdam, which were meant to be black parrots and royal blue something, come out as bogstandard pink?

was it me?
                was it the dirt?
                I grew them in the conservatory as it's been too cold to put them out so far

Comment

Perhaps someone pulled a fast one knowing you couldn't go back to complain?

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Maybe soil composition, acidity or just Dutch stupidity? I know with hydrangeas different soil compositions give different colours...

Comment

It could be Elsa but I've not heard of this with tulips.

Comment

och think we've been done

never mind, there was probably small print in Dutch that I couldn't read.

always wanted a black tulip, saw some when I was about nine and ner really seen them again

Comment

Here you are petal

Click image for larger version

Name:	tulip.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	1393972

Comment

fabulous Pixie

thank you

I always find tulips quite tricky

in years gone past I've planted loads in the garden and they've disappeared without trace (rotted in the wet I think)

I put them in mixed pots now and I've had much better results, although everything is late, my pots are hot this year!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
                              I think i posted on this thread when i first joined about growing my own veg garden, the thing is we only like savoy cabbage leeks and carrots , are these hard to grow ?
                              leeks very easy to grow
                              carrots planted early can be quite easy my second crop though i plant in large deep containers half full of compost so the tops dont come over the top of the container [helps keep carrot fly away] i then put a third crop in the poly tunnel ready for my xmas dinner
                              cabbage i dont have much luck with easy to grow but get eaton too death by catterpillers
                              i sow leeks thickly in a seed tray and prick them out when they are as thick as a pencil
                              at the start of this journey i owed
                              £52000.00 UNSECURED £5000.00 SECURED
                              £0000.00 secured debt as of 17/12/2010 fingers crossed
                              on 14/07/2012 i now have £32.000 unsecured and £15.000 unenforceable [thanks to niddy and aad ]
                              as of 17/03/13 its now £26K AND £15K UE
                              ITS COMING DOWN SLOWLY WHILE STILL ENJOYING MY LIFE

Comment

Working...
                              X