GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Home made! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home made!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made!

How about we have a thread where we can share some good ol fashioned recipes? Trade cooking tips?

Money Saving Dishes???

Just a thought?

Re: Home made!

ooooooooooooooh, I like . Will post loads here when I get a min.

Comment

Originally posted by Angel
      Great idea....anyone got a recipie for scotch pancakes....at least thats what we used to call them when we were kids.
      http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/scottish_ ... ncakes.htm

Problemo solved hehe
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I quite often bake on a Sunday, although i never eat it myself ( I am a low carber) but love to watch hubby tuck in.

A particular favourite of his is Corn Beef Onion and potato Pie, cheap and easy.

He loves my pastry but i have always used my Bero book and swear by it for baking............... a gift from my mum when i was flying the nest....... :

Mmmm Pancakes i haven't had these for years and maple syrup too ;--;

Comment

and crispy bacon with the pancakes, yum

Comment

I often make Lemon Drizzle Cake (taken from BBC Good Food)

Ingredients
            * 225g unsalted butter , softened
            * 225g caster sugar
            * 4 eggs
            * finely grated zest 1 lemon
            * 225g self-raising flour

[size=5]For the Drizzle Topping
            * juice 11?2 lemon
            * 85g caster sugar

1. Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy, then add the eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through. Sift in the flour, then add the lemon zest and mix until well combined. Line a loaf tin (8 x 21cm) with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon.

2. Bake for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the lemon juice and sugar to make the drizzle. Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle - the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping. Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve. Will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.

Comment

O man...... my mouth is watering now

I make a tomato sauce (based loosely on a Jamie Oliver one) it is lush will post that up soon - as can be used for so much

Comment

Originally posted by Miche*
                I often make Lemon Drizzle Cake (taken from BBC Good Food)

Ingredients
                * 225g unsalted butter , softened
                * 225g caster sugar
                * 4 eggs
                * finely grated zest 1 lemon
                * 225g self-raising flour

[size=5]For the Drizzle Topping
                * juice 11?2 lemon
                * 85g caster sugar

1. Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy, then add the eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through. Sift in the flour, then add the lemon zest and mix until well combined. Line a loaf tin (8 x 21cm) with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon.

2. Bake for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the lemon juice and sugar to make the drizzle. Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle - the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping. Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve. Will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.
                Oh My Days Le,om drizzle cake my fave..................... i am imagining this with a good old cup of Yorkshire Tea (drools)

Comment

Originally posted by never-in-doubt
                  Originally posted by Angel
                  Great idea....anyone got a recipie for scotch pancakes....at least thats what we used to call them when we were kids.
                  http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/scottish_ ... ncakes.htm

Problemo solved hehe
                  I hate you ;LOL I'm stuck indoors with no time to get to Tesco - not had them since I was an ickle girl and they were scrummy
                  When you have nothing you have nothing to lose

Comment

Eldest and I have been blackberry nicking We've turned them out into Blackberry and coconut flapack. Don't know what they taste like just yet as they're still in the incinerator (effectionately known as Mam's Oven in our house ;D )

Blackberry and Coconut Flapjack
                    Ingredients
                    * 250g self-raising flour
                    * 25g oats
                    * 280g soft brown sugar
                    * 200g cold butter , cut into pieces
                    * 75g desiccated coconut
                    * 2 medium eggs , beaten
                    * 350g frozen or fresh blackberries

#1 Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Tip the flour, oats and sugar into a large bowl. Rub the butter into the flour mixture using your fingertips until only small pea-size pieces remain. Stir through the coconut, then fill a teacup with the mixture and set this aside.
                    #2 Stir the eggs into the bowl of mixture, then spread over the bottom of a lined baking tin (31 x 17cm), or a 21cm square tin. Smooth the surface with the back of a spoon, then scatter over the blackberries. Scatter over the reserved teacup mixture and bake for 1 hr-1 hr 15 mins until golden and cooked through (if you poke a skewer in, it should come out with moist crumbs but no wet mixture). Leave to cool, then remove from the tin and cut into squares.

From BBC Good Food

ETA: they were really nice. A little too sweet for me so next time I'll add more coconut and less sugar.. result!

Comment

Miche i think we should call you Nigella (not Delia) Nigella is much more sexier, your recipes are fab.

I run at a local nature reserve type place and i did a bit of blackberrying the other week i only made Apple and blackberry Crumble for Mr O but the flapjack sounds awesome.

I am going to stat on Christmas Cakes when i get back from my break, i have been buying ingredients for a few weeks to spread the cost. Mmmmm i can smell them baking now ;--G

Comment

Nigella is very much like myself.. all demure and sultry but can let a clanger slip innadvertingly (or purposefully ig )

Christmas cakes scare me witless!

JAM! It's a gooden, so much nicer than store bought (well I only have Superstore value to compare it to I suppose) Only thing is to make it yourself and buy the fruit is way more expensive then ready made jam so unless you have a glut of fruit begging, maybe just for a treat!

Ingredients
                        * 900g fruit (blackberries, plums, raspberries or strawberries), prepared weight
                        * 900g golden granulated sugar
                        * knob of butter

Method all gets a bit complicated depending on what fruit you use.. lemon juice is for setting I'm lead to believe..

#1 Put the fruit into a preserving pan or large heavy-based saucepan. For blackberries, add 50ml of water and 1½ tbsp of lemon juice; for plums (halved and stoned), use 150ml of water; for strawberries, add 3 tbsp of lemon juice (no water); and for raspberries, add nothing. Bring to the boil.
                        #2 Lower the heat. For blackberries, simmer for 15 minutes; for plums, simmer for 30-40 minutes; for raspberries, simmer for 2 minutes; for strawberries, simmer for 5 minutes. The fruit should be soft.
                        #3 Tip in the sugar, stir over a very low heat until the sugar has completely dissolved. Raise the heat, bring to a full rolling boil, then rapidly boil blackberries for 10-12 minutes, plums for 10 minutes, raspberries for 5 minutes or strawberries for 20-25 minutes - don't stir though - until the setting point of 105C is reached.
                        #4 Remove from the heat, skim off any excess scum, then stir a knob of butter across the surface (this helps to dissolve any remaining scum). Leave for about 15 mins so the fruit can settle. Pour into sterilised jars.

Comment

Michella! love it lol

The name scotch pancakes has always put me off but you described them beutifully, will give them go for sure..

er,diet thread? Already one made lol

Comment

My lovely Mum just made lots of Plum Jam from some plums someone gave to me, bless she was at it for days though she is in her 70's and things tend to take a bit longer now.

I make a lot of soup from left over veggies in the fridge at the end of the week. I freeze them into single portions great to use as sauce bases or just as soup.

Ooo Michella i think we should rename you ;--G

Comment

EEK Hate to be the party pooper for this thread... If you are going to copy and paste recipes from BBC or anywhere else make sure you put the source etc.. (as recipes AND images are copyrighted) A lot of forums get into heck over this!!

Anyhoo... I shall post my recipes and photos here.. I have published in America a wee cook book

Comment

Working...
                              X