GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Anti-depressant concerns! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti-depressant concerns!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anti-depressant concerns!

I want the pill for my hormonal depression but they'll only give me anti depressants...

Cos I just sleep and lack energy 24/7 without them

SC

Comment

I was prescribed anti-depressants by my doctor last year. I can't remember what they were called but I felt totally shite on them. Everything felt like I was wading through treacle.

I had prozac about 12 years ago when I had my neighbour-from-hell problems and I felt okay with them.
      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

On the other hand, some tricyclic antidepressants can reduce the risk of colorectal cancer or cerebral glioma - link - whilst I find Amitriptyline quite effective at reducing the intermittent agony of diabetic peripheral neuropathy - link.

Comment

Even Handy's not immune from depression. I did have a severe bout around 25 years ago. Since then I have been able to recognise the onset and make changes to avoid or minimise the effects.

About 2 years ago things got so bad, I had to see my GP.
          I can't remember what he prescribed now, but the side effects were almost instant and spectacular.

Apart from the spaced out feelings, (I was chauffeuring the Hoorays the first day, and that's another story). Within Hours my Prostrate had grown to the size of an apple.

When it takes you 20 minutes to take a pee, you soon get over being depressed.

I'm not making light of peoples problems, just wanting to illustrate that the GP's who prescribe most of the Anti depressants only work on what the drug companies tell them and what it says in MIMS.

It would be good if every GP's surgery had a professional who was just responsible for patients suffering from depression or related problems and nothing else. Someone with Pharmo-Medical training would be ideal.

Regards all, Handy
          Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
          Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
            On the other hand, some tricyclic antidepressants can reduce the risk of colorectal cancer or cerebral glioma - link - whilst I find Amitriptyline quite effective at reducing the intermittent agony of diabetic peripheral neuropathy - link.
            I loved amitryptylene, it helped with the pain, helped me sleep, and worked wonders as an anti depressant. I'm not allowed it though because I've taken too many overdoses in the past, and apparantly it's a bad one to OD on.

I've lost count of how many anti depressants I've tried, ranging from awful side effects, through just doing nothing, to working.

Comment

Does amitrytaline cause weight gain though?

I need something I can lose weight on

If I feel like ODing I just go to the psych hospital

I'm not worried about cancer...on so many pills as is there's no point in worrying

SC

Comment

Originally posted by Strawberry_Cupcake View Post

I'm not worried about cancer...on so many pills as is there's no point in worrying

SC
                SC, I just realised something, did you mention you are on some new Meds? Could your rash be a side effect? I know some AD's can cause skin problems in certain circumstances.

Problem with the information sheets that come with the meds is that the drug companies tend to include every single medical condition known to mankind, just to cover their backsides.

These days instead of reading the info sheet, I go straight to google and look for problems that others have had. I find this a more accurate way to gauge if there are side effects.

Regards, Handy
                Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Nope I'm reducing the haloperidol...

Rash not caused by that. More like diarrhoea yesterday LOL

SC

PS. Quite tired today....feeling very anxious and over tired...

SC

Comment

Originally posted by Strawberry_Cupcake View Post

SC
                    i think it can cause an increase in appetite or weight gain, most anti d's tend to. i was prescribed amitriptaline for migraine prevention, it really didn't suit me at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X