GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Daughter Holiday Card - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daughter Holiday Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daughter Holiday Card

Hi,

DD is off on her first foreign holiday with her friend and her friends parents to Spain in September. She's 18 and just got her first full time job/apprenticeship after leaving college so has no credit history whatsoever but is wanting to get a credit card to take with her that she will be able to pay off the following month to avoid charges.

Does such a card exist with her credit history (lack of) that wouldn't charge her for cash withdrawals/purchases whilst in Spain ?

Thx

Re: Daughter Holiday Card

Maybe aqua, one of the higher APR starter cards and I don't think it has overseas charges.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

what about a prepaid one, it's just a handy way of taking your holiday money.

I've always found taking money out through the hole in the wall with your debit card was much cheaper

Comment

I'd just take euros and ask friends parents to put in safe / look after it for me. After all we're not talking thousands are we?

Regards cards, it's not going to be that easy with no history. She'd be better telling her bank and use debit card for ATM withdrawals if she must do that. Personally I avoid it as much as I can. Recently in Cuba I spent around 45usd on my card and when I got home it cost me around £40 in total.

On my credit card I just paid a firm 250USD which cost me £254. Go figure
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

My DD got a pre paid card for her first holiday ...She use fairfx in the past for holiday money

https://www.fairfx.com/comparerates?...FUE_GwodTEcNOg
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

She's ideally after a credit card as she's only decided to go last month after meeting up with her old school friend again. Therefore she's not got long to pay for the hol and flights so along with her other outgoings per month she's not going to have a lot of cash for actual spending money come september so the debit card/prepaid card option wont really help her. Probably only looking for £250 - £500 which she could pay off in October as there'd be no holiday to pay for anymore.

Will she be able to get the last one on this page ?

http://www.postofficemoney.co.uk/credit-card
            Last edited by lookingforward; 1 June 2016, 20:11.

Comment

Friendly bump re the PO card please

Comment

It's a lottery and none of us could say yea or nay! Has she gone any of the credit card comparison sites that do a soft credit check and give you an idea of whether she may be accepted for a card. That's why I suggested Aqua.

Comment

I'd go for prepaid one - Revolut is the best bet IMHO.
                  You load it via app whenever and wherever you are in GBP (from UK debit card), then you can either convert £ immediately to € (or US$) or just keep £ and they are converted at the time of transaction to € (or other 80ish currencies) at the current spot exchange rate (it is a perfect bank rate - you won't find anything better). For example just looking now £1 = €1.2704 (hard to bit).
                  And as it is a prepaid, there is no credit check.
                  And any left over is then easily spent in the UK.
                  ATM withdrawals are free of charge up to €500 per calendar month

Comment

Originally posted by lookingforward View Post
                    Thanks everyone.

She's ideally after a credit card as she's only decided to go last month after meeting up with her old school friend again. Therefore she's not got long to pay for the hol and flights so along with her other outgoings per month she's not going to have a lot of cash for actual spending money come september so the debit card/prepaid card option wont really help her. Probably only looking for £250 - £500 which she could pay off in October as there'd be no holiday to pay for anymore.

Will she be able to get the last one on this page ?

http://www.postofficemoney.co.uk/credit-card
                    thats a premium card. With limited CRA history it's unlikely she'd be accepted.

Any credit card would likely only offer -£500 unless she's got good history / mainstream prime accounts elsewhere.

Too many searches will go against her too.

Example; 23 year old student in part time work got refused a bog standard MBNA card but her bf who is unemployed with 5 defaults got an aqua with £200 limit.

Its a lottery in most cases.
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks everyone, been so long since I've had credit myself I didn't know about soft searches so I'll have a look on some of those for her. I'm assuming they wont hurt her credit score ?

Jadex, she's looking for a small bit of credit to tide her over until the following payday so pre paid are no good but I'll bear in mind in case I can ever get abroad again (last time was 2000 unless you count Wales haha )

Comment

Then barclaycard / Aqua / cap1 / Vanquis are the 4 you ought to start with.

** click each for direct link.

Comment

Thx Niddy

Comment

Working...
                          X