GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Parental Responsibility ? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parental Responsibility ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parental Responsibility ?

My youngest daughter has a son and is single. I am trying to find out how to share the responsibility for him in order to take him to the dentist and such occasions which at the moment mean that she has to go when it would be easier for me to go instead. I know its possible but need to find out the correct way and how to ....

I v searched online, and found consent letter templates, solicitors advice which is confusing, court orders for residence, which all seems vague and not very helpful. I would of thought some sort of consent letter would be enough , rather than a court thing , We just want to share it for simple occasions like the dentist, doctors which at the moment they insist she goes in order to sign things etc.

So .. I wonder if anyone on here knows !

Thanks
    If you are using a shovel to dig yourself into a hole, a credit card company will be happy to give you a JCB !!

Re: Parental Responsibility ?

You'd be treated as a nanny / au pair / helper / granny so your daughter needs to just notify people that you may attend / act on her behalf and to call her if in doubt. The dentist - you go with them next time and have your daughter authorise you at reception and to the dentist. Same with School / GP etc.

Its nothing legal unless less you mean you have a 50% legal guardian order type thing...?
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I have taken my sons twins to various places docs, dentist and only written contact that has been needed is school that's for when they need to contact us .xx
      if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

School sends us letters, or phone, the Parent or Guardian for one of our grandsons, never had problems with anything else.

Comment

Yes I get the school thing...( I was a teacher in a former life),... this is for the medical issues/ things covered by this parental responsibilty. I took him the dentist the other week and she informed me some new rule had come out that only parents can take a child now. He now has to go to the hospital to have the tooth out and has been informed only" parental responsible" person can take him. This is a pain as there is only her and she is working full time and I m not.

Not looking for guardianship or anything, (we are thinking of covering that in a will), just being able to help her out with doctors dentists, and this tooth extraction, the things children get. I was thinking like Niddy said, some sort of signed note... but cant find anywhere that covers this topic. Its all about residence orders and care.

Seems ridiculous that his absent father who he don t know could take him but me and my daughters partner can't.
          If you are using a shovel to dig yourself into a hole, a credit card company will be happy to give you a JCB !!

Comment

You can with authority from the primary carer ie your daughter. She authorises you.

See this as a basic guide -> http://www.grandparents-association....childcare.html
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

it would help if you were on the school MIS as a known contact as well. think the dentist is getting carried away with rules. As long as you are able to pick up the child from school, then you can take them to the Doctor/dentist etc. If there is a procedure required, then it may need parental consent, depending on how serious it is, dentist is just covering their arses

Comment

Originally posted by MrsD View Post
                it would help if you were on the school MIS as a known contact as well. think the dentist is getting carried away with rules. As long as you are able to pick up the child from school, then you can take them to the Doctor/dentist etc. If there is a procedure required, then it may need parental consent, depending on how serious it is, dentist is just covering their arses
                TBH thats what I am thinking, although someone will have to sign for the anaesthetic I would imagine... going follow Niddy s signpost.... I ve been looking everywhere for some guidance before we end up going to a solicitor...All I want to be is helpful .....

Thank you

Comment

No need for solicitor. Your daughter tells them & they adhere. First & foremost is welfare so they'd never refuse a life saving operation just cos you, the grand parent, wasn't authorised.

Its pretty easy to sort. Literally your daughter just says to add your details as a second contact and authorised to act as guardian in her absence.

Comment

Even signing for medical things such as this extraction needing anaethestist?? She says the reception person told her they would nt consider anything other than authority thats gone through court....

Seems a grey area to me. and jobsworths...... but thanks, I think I will ring someone off that link you gave me,, and told her to make further inquiries when she takes him for his treatment...

Comment

I think if a child has anaesthetic the guardian or parent must be present. I'd want to be anyway. A normal filling would be fine with authority. More risky procedures would require a parent / guardian obviously.

Comment

My Mum recently took George to the dentist and was turnedaway after they said the exact same thing; she has taken my other two over theyears (albeit sometime ago) and we had no idea that the law had changed. They would not budge even when I offered tofax over a letter of consent for my mum to accompany George on my behalf! The world has gone mad in my opinion – I needto work to afford to provide for my son, my mum is his primary carer when meand Dave are both working, it’s just not that easy to get time off work foreither of us and therefore the government suggest our son cannot get medical ordental treatment. Obviously we didrebook and I took him for his check up but it just seems mad to me.

Jane x

Comment

They can't just refuse. It's YOUR WISHES They're adhering to.

--> http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/aboutnh...dh_4117353.pdf

page 3 - who has parental rights....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	1408416

Note - "BUT YOU CAN AUTHORISE THEM"......

Comment

Thanks for that Niddy. My DDs and SILs work fulltime so it's useful to know, especially as my second DD's in-laws look after my GS except for the day he goes to nursery (and my GD comes to me).

In the past I've taken my grandchildren to the doctors without any problems and I've been to school to give antihistamine to my granddaughter. I took another granddaughter to the dentists quite recently and they were okay with the check up but said that a parent needed to sign the form for treatment.
                            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Reporting back.... I rang the link from CAB ...Grandparents website. She was not too sure, and thought a consent letter would suffice trips to the dentist, doctors etc.... I also rang the NHS clinic where Alfie is going and she was adamant that a parent must go in order to sign for any treatment. I asked about a letter of consent , witnessed even and she again was adamant that the only signature they would accept was of parental authority, and shared authority would have to be given through the court...

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                              They can't just refuse. It's YOUR WISHES They're adhering to.

--> http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/aboutnh...dh_4117353.pdf

page 3 - who has parental rights....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18628[/ATTACH]

Note - "BUT YOU CAN AUTHORISE THEM"......

This is why I was so confused, I have taken children abroad, and as teachers considered loco parentis, so why not granny?? I agree with Tastyjane, its a bit ridiculous, and mad, My daughter only has me, father does nt even know the boy, yet he could sign as his name was on the birth certificate, the sperm she calls him. She is training as a nurse, and needs my assistance.. so this is something now we have to resolve...

The medical treatment... I can understand the reasoning... but surely an easier way than court authority....Mad,,,,

Comment

Working...
                              X