GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Our Tax System Explained - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our Tax System Explained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Tax System Explained

Our Tax System Explained:
    Bar Stool Economics

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to £100. If they paid their bill the way we currently pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
    The fifth would pay £1.
    The sixth would pay £3.
    The seventh would pay £7.
    The eighth would pay £12.
    The ninth would pay £18.
    The tenth man (the richest) would pay £59.
    So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. 'Since you are all such good customers,' he said, 'I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by £20.' Drinks for the ten now cost just £80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the £20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share?'?

They realised that £20 divided by six is £3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer. So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so:
    The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% saving).

The sixth now paid £2 instead of £3 (33%savings).
    The seventh now pay £5 instead of £7 (28%savings).
    The eighth now paid £9 instead of £12 (25% savings).
    The ninth now paid £14 instead of £18 (22% savings).
    The tenth now paid £49 instead of £59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the Pub, the men began to compare their savings. 'I only got a pound out of the £20,'declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man,' but he got £10!' 'Yeah, that's right,' exclaimed the fifth man. 'I only saved a pound, too.? It's unfair that he got ten times more than I got' 'That's true!! 'shouted the seventh man. 'Why should he get £10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!' 'Wait a minute,' yelled the first four men in unison. 'We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!'

So the nine men surrounded the tenth - and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks (what a surprise) so the nine sat down and had beers without him.

But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important.

They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill! And that, ladies and gentlemen, journalists and university professors, is how our tax system works.

The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction.

Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Our Tax System Explained

WOW!

Impressive matey - I like it as much this time round as when I first read it a few years ago (in dollars if I recall)
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt
      WOW!
      Impressive matey - I like it as much this time round as when I first read it a few years ago (in dollars if I recall)
      Actually It was taken from my friends Blogsite, that he runs (He deals a lot with Westminster and writes articles, and letters to tell them that they are in Breach of the Law and as such - can PM his site if you wish)
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

HMRC’s bad debts rocket

viewtopic.php?p=25475#p25475

Comment

On BBC 1 Tonight 8th November 2010 @ 20.30 Hrs
          HMRC Tax Blunder revealed Letters.....
          With millions of people waiting to see if they are winners or losers in the fallout from the recent tax code realignment, Panorama reveals the situation inside HM Revenue and Customs.....http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vdmbr

Comment

Why is your tax bill so high?
            The TaxPayers' Alliance reveals for the first time the true extent of taxpayer funded environmental campaigning in the UK and the European Union....

Comment

HMRC TAX E-MAILS WARNING.....

As its coming towards the end of this Tax Year MAR 2010 APR 2011, and Many due are Tax returns, over paid Taxes, Tax refunds (as the PAYE system had faulted), unfortuntant of those whom may have to repay..........

Fraud E-mails: Below is an extract e-mail

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1381826

Tell tale to know what is a FAKE.....

* Telling that i have £640 GBP to recieve from them (Why an exact amount?)
              * Its NOT referred by my NAME
              * I need to PROVIDE them with MY bank account details, so THEY can transfer the money to my account
              * BY CLICK ON THEIR LINK: (these are a BIG give away - IF YOU NOTICE at the BOTTOM of the page, you can see that the LINK IS:
              http: //pscs2.pmotors.com/e107_files/import/images.php
              RATHER THAN IN BEING THE HMRC WEB ADDRESS

What the TAX (HMRC), DOES DO:

* Write to you
              * Tells you what MAY be DUE
              * Payment sent Via CHEQUE automatic BUT NORMANLLY VIA BACS/ IE IN YOUR WAGES (After THE APR Year)

Comment

Tax dodgers face five years of extra scrutiny
                Tax dodgers face far greater scrutiny of their affairs under a new HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) plan.

The Revenue says anyone who evades tax will have their financial affairs watched closely for up to five years to make sure they......More at Media Headlines Forum pages

Comment

It's a good job for MP's that expenses are tax deductible :P
                  I hereby promise to treat Debt Collection Agencies with the same values that they treat me. UTTER CONTEMPT !!

Comment

Working...
                  X