GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Travel to work - JSA - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travel to work - JSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel to work - JSA

I cant find this on the internet (DWP site or other) but what is the current travel to work rule? It used to be 60 minutes via public transport.

I have been told this has increased, but am sure I am being fobbed off.
    Last edited by oscar; 10 June 2011, 22:10.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Travel to work

i'd heard 60-90 min but i don't have anything concrete i'm afraid

Comment

Re: Travel to work

Huh there is a rule about travelling to work?

Comment

Re: Travel to work - JSA

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
        Huh there is a rule about travelling to work?
        Yep - if on JSA it used to be 60 minutes via public transport. That was the geographic area you were supposed to look at - so about 15-20 miles dependant where you live.

However, I have been told it has increased - but cant seem to find the info
        Last edited by oscar; 10 June 2011, 22:11.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

On JSA it's 60 minutes for the first 13 weeks.

This increases to 90 minutes after 13 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by swanfan View Post
            On JSA it's 60 minutes for the first 13 weeks.

This increases to 90 minutes after 13 weeks.
            REALLY??!! - I was claiming for nearly a year last time and they didnt advise me to start searching more than 60 minutes away!

Cant see how they could do that to be honest - imagine doing a 12 hr shift, take into account travelling, would just have time to get a shower before going straight to bed!

Comment

Being Fobbed off by them - making things up Oscar - are they going to pay you to travel for interview.

I had to travel to newcastle 60 miles away from me as i had an interview @ 12.30, for an Regional Accounts Manager role-
              Options:
              by train: 1 hour & 20 mins cost £12.50
              by (hire) car: 45 Mins cost £25 + Fuel
              by Bus: 2 hour & 30 mins cost £6.50

i was told to travel by bus as it was cheaper option, over all travelling time 5 hours, up time: 8.30am school bus, arrive newcastle 11.30am (proceed to navigate 2 more buses in Newcastle *expected to travel on public transport around the city, where i don't know them system*. Bus back 3.00pm arrive back home 5.30pm All for a 30 mins interview = overall travel time 8 hrs for 30 mins interview

I told the DWP: You need to also take into calculation that the above bus cost only takes me into town, NOT to the destination, so you need to add an extra £3.50 towards the Metro Zone Total cost now £10.00........

I took the easy option, i went by Train, even though i paid the difference off £2.50, the train takes a hour and 20 mins metro destination 10 mins. Train leaves at 10am arrive Newcastle approx 11.30am 1 hr to take time to get interview, 5 mins walk from 2 metro stops to interview........train back in afternoon @ 1.30pm arriv back home @ 3pm total travelling time: 5 hrs

Car: cost too much for me to hire, put against fuel cost return

I asked that i was going for a Regional Accounts Mgr position, and expected to turn up tirey eyed, crumpled suit from sitting on a bus for 2 & half hrs - with 1 hr to spare to get to the interview - trying to navigate through a city where i don't know the transport system let alone the city that i'm going too: Their Answer was: we are having budget cuts & cut backs (Not my problem - why should you inform me of your problem - i don't inform my customer why things are delivered on time 'because we have 1 driver who is stroppy and the other is always on the sick' - Ughhhh!) -
              Think that i am heading off the Line here towards the 'Are you pi**ed of thread' .............

Good morning Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                REALLY??!! - I was claiming for nearly a year last time and they didnt advise me to start searching more than 60 minutes away!

Cant see how they could do that to be honest - imagine doing a 12 hr shift, take into account travelling, would just have time to get a shower before going straight to bed!

My hubs drives over an hour to get to and fro work and yeah its harsh on the body esp since he leaves at 7am returns for 7ish pm.

Comment

Yup it tis harsh, i use be up @ 5.30 to get to work for 7.30 and finish @ 5 to get back home late (takes a strain when driving for 12 hrs a day 5 days a week) only wanting to relax at the weekend. [uts money in the pocket, food on table, etc

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
                    My hubs drives over an hour to get to and fro work and yeah its harsh on the body esp since he leaves at 7am returns for 7ish pm.
                    Originally posted by 5corpio View Post
                    Yup it tis harsh, i use be up @ 5.30 to get to work for 7.30 and finish @ 5 to get back home late (takes a strain when driving for 12 hrs a day 5 days a week) only wanting to relax at the weekend. [uts money in the pocket, food on table, etc
                    Seems I wound up a couple of people - and apologies if I did, but to use the two examples above, you both state that you/hub DRIVE to work which is around an hour away. How long would the same journey take on public transport??

Manchester and Liverpool are both about an hours drive from me. I would be looking close to 3 hours by public transport (assuming no delays) My opinion is, that with that distance, the job would soon become untenable.

Comment

no i worked from home - so covered a birds view of 100 miles circum' of area -
                      My fuel & company car was FREE -
                      Yes 'Agree' that having to use Public Transport to commute 60 miles for same wage in your own area is a JOKE if they expect that of one - Oscar -

But i think i went on a tangent of having to travel for an interview' is Ridicu' -
                      I've just spent my day off today looking for jobs 'within the Job Centre Only' a 70 Mile radius and same type of jobs came up (seaching ALL) £6.05 hr - Not much of an incentive to apply? But the Recruitment agencies are struggling, having to advertise on the Job Centre to try and real candidates onto their portfolio to hit towards their KPI's - i think i may be going onto a tangent again

Comment

I would honestly say, that i weren't courting, i would be back in Catering Mgmt again abroad - & NOT in Britain........for at least 5 more years lol

Comment

I wouldnt worry about going off ona tangent. I can see that happening myself in a few weeks or so when, more than likely, the JC will be seeing me again!

Comment

Working...
                          X