GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script work trial without pay - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

work trial without pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• work trial without pay

My daughter applied for a well known pizza restaurant and after the first shift was told she had the job. She was told that she would be paid fortnightly and was given her shift rota.

After the 2 weeks when she expected to get paid she was told the first week was a trial and was unpaid. She did quite a lot of hours work that week and wonder if anyone knows if they can make people do a complete week without any pay at all

All help grateful

Re: work trial without pay

It seems like they can do anything in this economic climate. Was she told beforehand that the first week was an unpaid trial?
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Trying to find some evidence as to whether this is allowed or not. a very quick answer to your question can be had by telephoning any HMRC tax office. or specifically the PAYE office. Just search google for the numbers.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Ok found something. according to the national minimum wage, you are ment to be paid for trial work unless you fall under certain circumstances. If you do not, then the employer faces a fine of £5000 under the national minimum wage act.

The main criteria for exclusion from minimum wage, is being part of a job center plus trial for 6 weeks.

For this to be confirmed the employer would needed to have filled out a form and sent it in to the job centre

So in my opinion, if your daughter was not under this scheme then they have commited an offence.

Should definately telephone HMRC to confirm.

Comment

Well if that well known Pizza chain starts with a D then perhaps for once the Govt minister was right. If they paid proper wages then perhaps they would get staff as opposed to needing migrants who will accept alot less before they also know they are being scammed.

Daughter in a difficult situation but if she leaves that is the sort of story that should be plastered over the press so people can make a judgement for themselves. Do they really want to eat at a place that endorses modern day slavery.

And dont give the guff about we want to see what someone is like first. Make your recruitment process much more robust or just pay them making them very aware its a trial.

Comment

To me it doesnt matter if they "want to see what someone is like first" everyone should be paid for work they have done, trial or not. As Ken says, its moden day slavery.

Comment

My daughter went for a job interview in a local pub while on a summer break from uni. a couple of years back..... and she was told that the first 3 days would be an unpaid trial, so I think this goes on a lot more than people think. Needless to say, she walked away from it and found something else but many people would accept this kind of shyte in the hope it would lead to a paid position when in reality, it stinks.

If your daughter has worked, then she needs to raise a formal complaint with the pizza company and get it addressed with a paper trail. They probably won't take her on afterwards but at least, she would get what she's owed, can then add the experience to her CV.... and move on to something more honest.
              Remember the mantra:
              NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
              Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
              Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
                If your daughter has worked, then she needs to raise a formal complaint with the pizza company and get it addressed with a paper trail. They probably won't take her on afterwards but at least, she would get what she's owed, can then add the experience to her CV.... and move on to something more honest.

^^ this

Comment

Working trials.... dear me. Surely the fact the company is prepared to offer them a position means they felt she met all the requirements the company was looking for. As already said, its nothing short of exploiting people. Fingers crossed they are in breach and HMRC step on their toes - serves the b@st@rds right!
                  Rant over.
                  When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Originally posted by mjr001 View Post
                    after the first shift was told she had the job.

So she HAD the job... you can't make someone work a trial shift, give them the job and then make them work a trial FOURTNIGHT!! Madness... deffo call HMRC

Comment

May also be worth contacting ACAS
                      "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

Please name and shame?

Crappy Hut or Domicraps?
                        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

So sorry been off line doing family stuff! Definitely involve ACAS, totally unacceptable. problem being that if she questions it she is likely to lose the job, however, would you want to work for a company that acts like this?

Jane x

Comment

Originally posted by tastyjane View Post
                            So sorry been off line doing family stuff! Definitely involve ACAS, totally unacceptable. problem being that if she questions it she is likely to lose the job, however, would you want to work for a company that acts like this?

Jane x
                            If she questions it?? NO I would not want to work for them.... YES question it, she isn't a SLAVE!!! ... and ... who is it *nose nose*

Comment

Sometimes just sometimes you have to let certain things slide in order to reap future benefits. In this instance, if a job is hard to come by (could be hours/child care/personal/travel/etc) then maybe letting it go in order to have a paid income now; *could* be the right thing to do.

We've ALL been shafted at times, let's face it. But don't they reckon revenge is a dish best served cold...... I'm sure there's ways & means to get the time back (get through trial & get paid sick for a fortnight...) kinda thing
                              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X