GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script carers allowance - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

carers allowance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carers allowance

wonder if anyone can help me, i have both parents ill, my dad has Parkinson's and my mum has had cancer and also has a hip problem, my mum gets some sort of an allowance for taking care of my dad, but i feel he needs more care now and my mum is finding it hard to manage, my dad has had a fall yesterday he fell out of bed this is to do with Parkinson's and i'm really worried about them both, i go down as much as i can but i also run the business while my husband works his other job, is it possible that i could claim carers allowance so i can be there more often and not run the business i can't give up the business as we can't afford to lose the money but if i could claim carers allowance then that would take the place of the money from the business.
    if anyone knows i would be grateful also would my mum lose her money as she still needs to take care of my dad during the night and during the times i cannot be there .

please and thank you

Re: carers allowance

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
    wonder if anyone can help me, i have both parents ill, my dad has Parkinson's and my mum has had cancer and also has a hip problem, my mum gets some sort of an allowance for taking care of my dad, but i feel he needs more care now and my mum is finding it hard to manage, my dad has had a fall yesterday he fell out of bed this is to do with Parkinson's and i'm really worried about them both, i go down as much as i can but i also run the business while my husband works his other job, is it possible that i could claim carers allowance so i can be there more often and not run the business i can't give up the business as we can't afford to lose the money but if i could claim carers allowance then that would take the place of the money from the business.
    if anyone knows i would be grateful also would my mum lose her money as she still needs to take care of my dad during the night and during the times i cannot be there .

please and thank you
    Hi,
    You can only get carers allowance if the person you want to claim for receives the middle rate of the care component dla. ( CA£239pm)
    Last edited by helmsman; 5 July 2013, 16:11.

Comment

Also, one one person can claim Carer's Allowance for the same person so on that basis, if your mum claimed it you wouldn't be able to.

You don't say how old your parents are but could your mum try claiming Disability Living Allowance (now known as PIP, I think) or Attendance Allowance? It takes months to be assessed but worth getting the ball rolling if it hasn't yet been tried.

:-)
      Remember the mantra:
      NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
      Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
      Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Another point to consider (and I am sure this is right but may have to check it) that if you claim carers allowance the maximum amount you can earn per week is just £100
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

thank you guys, my brother has called a meeting lol, we are going discuss the best way forward, to be honest i don't think i could cope with the stress of caring for them both i need my two brothers to share the care .

I am grateful for the information you have given me and i will now pass this on to my brothers

ps my mum is 80 this year my dad is 78 January

Comment

thank you guys, my brother has called a meeting lol, we are going discuss the best way forward, to be honest i don't think i could cope with the stress of caring for them both i need my two brothers to share the care .

I am grateful for the information you have given me and i will now pass this on to my brothers

ps my mum is 80 this year my dad is 78 January
            Persuade your mum to make a claim for Attendance Allowance if she's not yet done it.... it seems like she has some care needs of her own now.

Remember the mantra:

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
              Another point to consider (and I am sure this is right but may have to check it) that if you claim carers allowance the maximum amount you can earn per week is just £100
              Yes... that is correct Oscar.
              Remember the mantra:

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
                Persuade your mum to make a claim for Attendance Allowance if she's not yet done it.... it seems like she has some care needs of her own now.

i spoke to her today and she had someone round who looked into all their entitlements, as they have savings they cannot get anymore help, me and my brothers will look after them we are going to see about some handrails and my mum want's a walkin bath as both of them cannot step over the bath , my brother is going to age concern on Monday to see if they can get any help at all.

thank you and yes my mum does need more help i go round and help as much as i can but i still need work and she understands this, we take them shopping every two weeks and i clean my mums house every Monday and change all their bedding, if they need any thing during the week i bring it in from the shops and make sure their toilet is clean and i make sure i clean the worktops everyday with dettol wipes as my mum got an infection last year and was really sick for six weeks bless her , i am trying my best it is the least i can do for them they looked after me and now we look after them .

Comment

Attendance Allowance has nothing to do with savings..... it probably never occurred to the numpty advisor to suggest it to her. This kind of thing makes me so cross....

Remember the mantra:

Comment

It is important that she gets the disability benefits sorted first as they are a passport to other help like a disability facilities grant which will cover adaptations to the home sounds like you mum and dad need a disability wetroom installed so a DFG will cover this and handrails etc around the house.

Disabled Facilities Grants - GOV.UK
                    Last edited by pompeyfaith; 5 July 2013, 20:26.

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
                      Attendance Allowance has nothing to do with savings..... it probably never occurred to the numpty advisor to suggest it to her. This kind of thing makes me so cross....

i spoke to my mum and she gets 50 pound a week i assume this is attendance allowance.

Comment

Is £53 a week now for the lower rate

Attendance Allowance - GOV.UK

Comment

i spoke to my mum and she gets 50 pound a week i assume this is attendance allowance.
                          You need to establish what this money is.... there might be a reference number on her bank statement. If not, please come up with a precise weekly/monthly amount and we can try and work it our from there.

A letter would be ideal of course... :-)
                          Remember the mantra:

Comment

Hi there

When my dad was still with us, although both of my parents were disabled, I can recall for a little while my mother was dad's carer and received Carer's allowance, he did have the highest component of DLA and Mobility.
                            In time one of my older sister's taken over to care for both parents and the carer's was handed from my mum to my sister. My sister continued to work but she then just had a part time job, so what she received from working, she was in the limit of Carer's allowance do didnt lose out.

Also just a suggestion, although I don't know how you or your parents would feel about this, but there is also daily help out there for medication, personal care if required a few times a week, or maybe once or twice a day (depending on the requirements), from Social community care.

In my own case with my parents, as dad was so poorly, with so many health conditions, mum was also finding it so hard as he also ended up with demential, so we all pulled together as a family to help all we could, but it came to the stage that dad required professional care.

Anyway, back to the Social community care (if interested) check with your local council website to see what help can be offered.
                            Before dad was disharged from hospital, we spoken to the staff to see what help dad may be entitled to, and they arranged for a meeting for the family and the Community care officer.
                            So as soon as dad was discharged from hospital from day one, the nurses came once in the morning, to make sure meds were given, and any personal care if required, washing, dressing etc, shopping, they were absolutely fab.
                            However, charges may apply after so many weeks, (6 weeks I think), so you get the chance to change your mind in that time if you want to, so no charges will apply. I think mum paid about £24 a week.

Sorry to change the subject a little, but just want to let you know there is support out there too. I can totally understand you want to be there as they are your parents. We done the same, we shared the care, but dad's problems became too complex.

Good luck x

Comment

..........I forgot to add, I am a full time carer for my 18 year old, he has special needs, and my hubby works full time, but that makes no difference, it will only affect what you bring home and does not include partner's income.

Comment

Working...
                              X