GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Son with Special needs/benefits - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Son with Special needs/benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son with Special needs/benefits

My youngest son recently turned 16 in early January, and is on High Rate Disability Living Allowance (DLA) For Care and Low rate mobility, a few months before he turned 16 we received a letter to ask if he would like to me continue to deal with his benefit, so I would then have to sign as his appointee or if he would like to take over and do this for himself.
    He confirmed he could not cope and asked if i could carry on, so signed on a visit we had and it carried on from there.

However, he is currently having home education full time and we understand that certain benefits may stop over the following months, this includes Child Benefit, and Child Tax Credits, with the child tax credits we also receive the severe disability premium on top.

I understand that if my son starts college or under the careers office for training, the child benefit can go on longer, depending on certain circumstances as well, hours and what establishment and so on.
    I understand this is the same for tax credits.
    I am aware working tax credits is also separate to that of child tax credits.

So basically if my son decided to want to continue at college, the above will continue, but reading on one of the autism websites, its now known that if they continue to receive home education child benefit can still be payable, but my question is will it be the same for CTC's (if receiving home education).
    I have also asked this over on the ASD site but no-one have got back as yet, so if anyone has any ideas I will be very grateful, thank you.

Re: Son with Special needs/benefits

Originally posted by di30 View Post
    My youngest son recently turned 16 in early January, and is on High Rate Disability Living Allowance (DLA) For Care and Low rate mobility, a few months before he turned 16 we received a letter to ask if he would like to me continue to deal with his benefit, so I would then have to sign as his appointee or if he would like to take over and do this for himself.
    He confirmed he could not cope and asked if i could carry on, so signed on a visit we had and it carried on from there.

However, he is currently having home education full time and we understand that certain benefits may stop over the following months, this includes Child Benefit, and Child Tax Credits, with the child tax credits we also receive the severe disability premium on top.

I understand that if my son starts college or under the careers office for training, the child benefit can go on longer, depending on certain circumstances as well, hours and what establishment and so on.
    I understand this is the same for tax credits.
    I am aware working tax credits is also separate to that of child tax credits.

So basically if my son decided to want to continue at college, the above will continue, but reading on one of the autism websites, its now known that if they continue to receive home education child benefit can still be payable, but my question is will it be the same for CTC's (if receiving home education).
    I have also asked this over on the ASD site but no-one have got back as yet, so if anyone has any ideas I will be very grateful, thank you.
    Hi Scallywag

Have you checked out Direct Gov’s ? "Disabled Students' Allowances"

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/EducationAndTraining/HigherEducation/DG_10034898

Gerry x x

Comment

Di, I k now there are a lot of programs recognised by the govt as acceptable forms of training, I know my son was on a program like an apprenticeship but held by an employer.

Best to ring them explain that he is STILL in education -- home education I believe is recognised.

Comment

Brilliant, thanks for the quick feedback folks, I really appreciate it big time.

Time is going so fast and we are discussing these issues with my son, he is not totally sure on where he wants to go for definate yet, but we're looking at all different things, training, college and so on, again thank you. xx

Comment

How did you get on with this Di?

gerry x x

Comment

Hi Gerry

Well to be honest he is still unsure on what he wants to do, he is still deciding and knows he will have to make a decision very soon, but the links above are very helpful. Thank you for asking and for the link sweetie XXX

Comment

my ex is an education welfare officer will ask her to take a look tomoz and sure she will point you in the right direction re benefits etc
              at the start of this journey i owed
              £52000.00 UNSECURED £5000.00 SECURED
              £0000.00 secured debt as of 17/12/2010 fingers crossed
              on 14/07/2012 i now have £32.000 unsecured and £15.000 unenforceable [thanks to niddy and aad ]
              as of 17/03/13 its now £26K AND £15K UE
              ITS COMING DOWN SLOWLY WHILE STILL ENJOYING MY LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by wishfullthinking View Post
                my ex is an education welfare officer will ask her to take a look tomoz and sure she will point you in the right direction re benefits etc

That would be lovely, thanks so much.

Comment

Has your son got an SEN statement? Also, is the home education provided by you or by the Local Authority (tuition service or the like?)

If he is in full time education - 16 hours per week or more, depending on the course you can continue to receive child benefit and child tax credits up to the age of 20. This is the case for all students. It would be worth checking with the local college if he wants to work at home to see if distance learning course are available. This would also make him eligible for EMA here dependant on means testing. This would not be affected by his DLA.

In England Connexions have workers specifically for disabled young people who would be able to advise in detail but I'm not sure what services you have in Wales.

You should google Parent Partnership - they are an independant impartial organisation who give legal advice and support to parents of children with SEN.

You are probably already aware of all this so apologies if I am covering old ground. Good luck.
                  on 14/07/2012 i now have £32.000 unsecured and £15.000 unenforceable [thanks to niddy and aad ]

Comment

http://www.parentpartnership.org.uk/...pps/wales.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by wishfullthinking View Post
                      Has your son got an SEN statement? Also, is the home education provided by you or by the Local Authority (tuition service or the like?)

If he is in full time education - 16 hours per week or more, depending on the course you can continue to receive child benefit and child tax credits up to the age of 20. This is the case for all students. It would be worth checking with the local college if he wants to work at home to see if distance learning course are available. This would also make him eligible for EMA here dependant on means testing. This would not be affected by his DLA.

In England Connexions have workers specifically for disabled young people who would be able to advise in detail but I'm not sure what services you have in Wales.

You should google Parent Partnership - they are an independant impartial organisation who give legal advice and support to parents of children with SEN.

You are probably already aware of all this so apologies if I am covering old ground. Good luck.

Hiya hun

Thanks so much for this, I am very grateful.

At the moment he is not 100% in knowing what to do, but if not college it will be an extra year of home education.
                      He came out of school (mainstream) 2 years ago, nothing worked that they tried, despite many meetings with ed pysch and SEN staff etc, so it was decided that we home ed, however my uncle is a retired secondary teacher and head of secondary school he tutors my son up to 4 times a week, so its done on a private basis.

So even though we still have contacts through the ed system etc they do not provide anything for him, only send letters out now and again to ask to sign if still receiving home education, that's about it really.

Thanks for all the info, and some of this is all new to me, so its a great help, cheers.

Comment

Hi folks

It's been some time I posted on this one, but now my son has finally decided what he wants to do for now and a course by the Careers Wales Office- disability team have set him up to do a ICT course where he will be doing his NVQ 1 then make his way up if he wants to.

Basically its a training programme run through ITEC he will receive an allowance of £30 a week, and later on it goes up to £50 a week, so in otherwords earn as he learns.

However, he did have that option of college but didn't think he would cope this year, so next year they may consider this college which is funded by the Welsh assembly (The Priory) that will cater for his needs, its too late for this now this year but he can make his way there by doing one step at a time.
                        The Priory is just about 4 miles away from where we live.

Anyway, his adviser said to let Child Benefit know about this as he this should still be continued, so I have let them know and also CTC, although she did not mention anything about tax credits I assumed it would be the same as CB (that is they still receive CB then it counts for Child tax, please let me know otherwise folks???

I have not rang them but put it all into a letter which they received last week as soon as we knew what was happening, cheers.

Comment

Di,

When my eldest son when to college we were able to carry on claiming CTC until he reached 20 yrs old as he was still in full time education.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/st...taxcredits.htm

Once he reaches 18 it will stop during summer holidays, this you will need to report as well as letting them now when his learning starts again i.e start of new term.

Regards
                          Last edited by pompeyfaith; 1 September 2011, 11:55.

Comment

Thank you Pompey, that is great.

So with it being approved training I take it then it's the same as college as long as its with the list organisations for example the Careers etc.

With my oldest, now almost 23 years old, both CB and CTC continued whilst he was in the 2 years of the sixth form then stopped then when he went to Uni, as they will then continue to pay if its college but not university from what I am aware of.

So just to keep updating it every year then? (Does it stop as well if its continued training)? I will check again the info you given me.
                            Cheers hon x

Comment

Further webpage that may clarify the situation for you.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...nges/DG_172979

Comment

Working...
                              X