GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Travel insurance - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travel insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel insurance

Hi all,

I need travel insurance for my big holiday, but because of my three health problems I'm finding it hard to get cover.

If I take out insurance and don't declare two of my illnesses, and get ill with something else (say, a broken leg), will they still cover that, or will they wriggle out of it by saying that as I didn't disclose something unrelated I'm not covered?

Re: Travel insurance

All insurers try to wriggle out of paying, so best be on the safe side.

Comment

Thanks. The problem is though that declaring all three of my illnesses means I can't get insurance at all. Mind you, I haven't checked all the insurers out there.

Guess that's tonight's job!

Comment

Ames

whats the likelihood of you breaking your leg out there? Surely you are covered with the free NHS EU thingy? I always pay for insurance via club direct, as they're very cheap ---> Travel Insurance - Annual Single Trip Holiday Insurance - Club Direct

But do it through the comparison site for better rates!
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

If you non disclose , any policy will not pay out for anything.

There are companies that will carry the risk of some existing conditions,but they will normally just exclude them.

Aviva can be flexible but the internet search is your friend.

It really just depends what the conditions are and where you are going.

Comment

Thanks.

I've got the EHIC card, but I also want cover for all the other things, like flight cancellations etc, not just medical.

I'm worried about my immune condition, I'd want to cover that in case I catch something since I'm more prone to it, but I'll be getting an extra dose of antibodies just before I go.

I'm going interrailing round Europe - Poland, Romania, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary and Italy.

I've found one company that'll cover me - for £168 Although that's for an annual policy.

I think it's the mental illness that's causing the problem, some just have 'mental disorder' which could be anything, others I have to put bipolar because it's the nearest they have, when my diagnosis is Cyclothymia.

Oh, and there was the one that wanted all details of my liver problem, which was nothing serious and was 7 years ago!

Comparison sites don't work because each insurer has different questions about the medical conditions.

Back to the forms...

Comment

You know, for what you're doing £168 isn't that bad if they'll agree to insure you.... yea my single trip (worldwide inc caribbean) is only £27 for 3 of us, but then you've got to take into account, would treatment cost more than £168 - if so then it's a good deal... someone I know at work has a dodgy ticker and each year for a two week cover period in europe, he has to pay £340 insurance - he budgets it into the overall cost....
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Woohoo I've found one! It added less than £20 for the year when I put all my medical conditions.

Comment

Didn't see your reply Niddy, tell him to try Direct Travel!

The way they worded it I didn't have to declare the liver problem - they said 'liver damage', which I've never had, it was just a lesion that didn't affect function tests.

Wow, I was only halfway down the list on the first page too!

Comment

Originally posted by Ames View Post
                    Woohoo I've found one! It added less than £20 for the year when I put all my medical conditions.
                    an annual policy for less than £20 per annum with your pre-existing medical conditions

Just be careful, seems awfully cheap

Comment

Didn't see your reply Niddy, tell him to try Direct Travel!

The way they worded it I didn't have to declare the liver problem - they said 'liver damage', which I've never had, it was just a lesion that didn't affect function tests.

Wow, I was only halfway down the list on the first page too!
                      wow, £2.22 for a policy is like dirt cheap (check the excess though )

---> Travel Insurance - Holiday Insurance | Direct Travel Insurance

Comment

Yes I think be very careful of the over cheap ones. I can find insurance just about to travel with the ticker problem and the arthritis, BUT to go and see No 1 son in Oz it is somewhat more than the flight cost and Mrs G has to be insured separately on top. Hence to all intents and purposes travel outside UK is not on.

To get around this a bit I tried the reciprocal arrangement route with the NHS and Oz health service, not on and I even looked at going by sea o na merchant ship as a passenger try 9grand on for size! EEK.

regards
                        Garlok

Comment

No, it added £20, the total policy was £45 ish.

Most of my conditions are fairly minor - the diabetes is only just in the diabetic range and doesn't need treatment, my diagnosed mental health problems are fairly serious but I've never been hospitalised. It's the immune problem that's a worry, but again I've never been hospitalised or had cancer etc, so it's at the milder end of the scale - and having treatment for it brings the cost down a lot.

I've just been back to the one that came up at £168 and put in my actual medical conditions, instead of lumping them under 'bipolar' or 'mental disorder' and it brought it down to £70 extra.

So I was being a muppet and not filling the forms in properly.

Comment

So I was being a muppet and not filling the forms in properly.
                            I'm sayin nuffin

Comment

Just make sure when you take up the policy that when you get the docs though, that there are the actual endorsements on the policy to say they will cover the disclosed conditions.

Comment

Working...
                              X