GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Cheap Car Insurance - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap Car Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Car Insurance

Anyonw know where is a good deal for car insurance?

My car is 17 years old, worth about £350 ish and I cant get a quote under £300!!

The meerkats need shooting ...... and as for that greasy Greek bloke, moneysupermarket obviously dont haggle either!!
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Cheap Car Insurance

Originally posted by oscar View Post

My car is 17 years old, worth about £350 ish and I cant get a quote under £300!!

The meerkats need shooting ...... and as for that greasy Greek bloke, moneysupermarket obviously dont haggle either!!
    As far as I understand it, car quotes are going up and up - the insurance cos have all been hit badly with lots of claims and are fighting back with increased premiums. My broker warned me to expect a big hike when I renew and thinks it will get worse through 2011.

I also gather that the value of your car (within reason) doesn't actually make that much difference to your quote.

Let us know if you do find a quote that's halfway decent!
    Niddified and proud!

Fought and won the UE battle, thanks to Niddy and this forum...
    SB since 2016. Now have my life back!

(I used to be MustGetStraight but I've lost a "t")

Comment

Hi

I'm just about to go though this annual farce. I in the past I used the guide on the well known website for experts who like to save money,

** I hope I don't get barred for mentioning THAT site **

It takes a bit of time but I did save quite a lot last year. I ended up with Admiral, not had the renewal in yet for the coming year though.

Make sure that you don't overestimate your mileage, I only do 5K miles a year, the difference between this and what some of the sites put in for the 'default' mileage can add up.

When they asked for any previous quotes I put in the actual quote less £10, they then beat that quote, did this a couple of times, even went back to one site and they then beat their own previous quote by £20. Guess they just wanted the business.

Also on most sites, for me, third party was usually more expensive than TPF&T. Less cover = more expensive

Depending on your age may be worth getting quotes for fully comp, as for my parents THAT was cheaper than TPF&T.

I'll post back when I've done the renewal.

Good luck

MK
      One day at a time, with £34K of UE debt

LloydsTSB - For the (UE) journey NatWest/RBS Mint - (Un)Helpful banking
      Marbles - they lost 'em - and my CCA, what a shame

Comment

Car insurance is a postcode lottery. My daughter's insurance went up by £100 a month when she moved back home from where she was working 40 miles away. That's because the area where we live is a known 'crash for cash' hotspot. There's a report in the local paper today of 6 people being charged with it. The car was only worth around £500!

Take care when using comparison websites as sometimes, when you click through to the insurer's website, details that you have entered have changed. This can lead to the insurers not paying out because you have given 'false' information.

The reason that third party or tpft insurance can be more expensive is that insurers think that you won't be as careful when you have an older car. Check out what the cost would be for fully comp and also if it would be cheaper to have a named driver added to the policy.

Have you used a cashback site? I use topcashback and last year I got £70 cashback on my car insurance and the year before almost £100. Make sure you clear your internet history before you click through from the cashback website.

A good point about the mileage mk_chatham. I used to just leave it at the default but last year I checked what I'd done the previous year and it was less than 7K. you can use the mileage on your MOT certificates to check.

Good luck oscar and let us know how you get on.
        Last edited by Pixie; 25 January 2011, 13:15. Reason: feeling ill spelling!
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Well I started looking last night and it seems that the best offer so far has been the Co-operative with a quote of £290. That was fully comp with a £250 excess. As my car is 16 yrs old and only worth £250 pounds its seems pointless going fully comp but the quotes for TPF&F were a lot more, and third party only was over £750 !!

Unless I can find something cheaper in the next couple of weeks it looks like I'll be changing from Admiral to the Co-op. I will see if they can at least match the quote though, after lowering it by £10

Going to investigate the cash back sites, thanks for that Pixie, last year I went through Nectar and got £5 worth of points which was something I guess.

Worth getting a quote from the Co-op Oscar ?

MK
          One day at a time, with £34K of UE debt

LloydsTSB - For the (UE) journey NatWest/RBS Mint - (Un)Helpful banking
          Marbles - they lost 'em - and my CCA, what a shame

Comment

Hubby got £180.00 full comp quote Hastings direct(mind you we are oldies)
            if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

i got mine through Swift Cover, i was with them last year. i tried shopping around but overall prices were up £100pa+ on last year!! the closest quote for me was LV, so worth having a look at them.

it seems a lot of people are being hit with a higher premium this year

Comment

after searching through all the comparison websites I went straight to direct line carrying 4 years NCB.

Quote was £140 less than anywhere else.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Signature removed by site-admin. Please PM Niddy if you have any questions about why it's been removed.

Meany

Comment

How old is your car?

What is it, a bloody Ford Capri? Cortina? Cavalier?
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                    How old is your car?

What is it, a bloody Ford Capri? Cortina? Cavalier?
                    oi be nice lol My car is 15 years old (Mk3 Astra)
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Signature removed by site-admin. Please PM Niddy if you have any questions about why it's been removed.

Meany

Comment

I'm with Direct Line.

I had no no claims when we 1st got the policy as I'd only just passed my test a few months previously but went with them because named drivers build up no claims aswell when they get their own policy with them.

Elephant were about £180 cheaper but I stuck with Direct Line because of the no claims thing.
                      Made by God...Improved by the Devil
                      Save £2 a day - £1610.00 so far

Comment

i don't own a car - and its a pain in the ass, when it comes to looking for a decent car (cheap), But the insurance hits me big time (i'll never use a compare site, going direct to the ppl, its cheaper)

All vehicles i've driven has been company cars, so i have NCB to add, which racks things up to get insurance quotes........Need money to buy a car first!!! before anything.

But i do find hiring a car over the weekend when i am off sat-tues, for £55 4 days take back Weds morning is cost effective if you NOT going to rely on a car all the time. £24 sat-sun take back Mon morning.........! When you start to get to know them especialy the Manager, she gives me the same price BUT upgrades the car for me (Its like trying to get a Rhino into a Ago! 1.0 ltr doesn't work for me, so here is a Corsa 1.4 instead
                        Last edited by 5corpio; 9 July 2011, 19:38.

Comment

Try Aviva, we got my son insured (with me on it) for under 1000k!

Comment

Anyone know where is a good deal for car insurance?

My car is 17 years old, worth about £350 ish

I'd sell him for that!

Comment

Apologies for post above - me being a wazzock AGAIN!!!!

Skimmed it and misread.

Comment

Working...
                              X