GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Life after credit cards - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Life after credit cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life after credit cards

I have just been looking back at my credit card statement files and see that this week is exactly one year since I last used a credit card. (not that I could start using one again, and certainly not anytime soon that's for sure ! )

If you had said to me a couple of years ago that I could function without the use of a credit card I would have shaken my head in disbelief .... and thought no way !

Well it just goes to show how wrong I was....there is life without relying on credit cards..... and I feel refreshed for it !

Re: Life after credit cards

I agree with you 100% Allan. I have not used my cards now for what nearly 18 months and i thought I would crumble without them. But hey - guess what I have managed.

You know 2 years ago i woud be scared to check my bank account - so I basically know what my account is to the pound and pences. I only spend what I have or save if I need.

I must say things on here like the NSD challenge have really helped.

You know what grates on me at times, I think I was watching something on TV about holidays or something - o yes it was about holiday nightmares and what is their advice - always have a credit card to fall back on...... erm what about us who don't have that option?

Comment

Yes Looloo,
      Holidays can be a problem in case of an emergency without the back up of a card.

As you know I have to go to the USA quite a lot, and over there "card is king". if you said you did not have a credit card they would look at you like you had just stepped off a space ship from Mars.....

I could not function in the US without some sort of credit type card, I have my UK bank debit card, and for places that will only take credit cards and not debit cards (and there are quite a few) I have opened a US bank account, and have had a card issued to me, it says Mastercard on the front and is accepted through the card machines as a credit card, but it is actually linked to my bank account, I don't have to top the card up, it just draws from my account each time I use it, just the same as a UK debit card does....well as long as there are enough $$$$ in the account of course..

Comment

How weird was this Allan. When we were in Miami - near where we were staying I could not draw money out on my debit card - but when I got to acutal Miami it worked just fine!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnylooloo View Post
          How weird was this Allan. When we were in Miami - near where we were staying I could not draw money out on my debit card - but when I got to acutal Miami it worked just fine!!
          I can understand that Looloo, I have come across the same thing a number of times when trying to use a UK debit card, hence my reasons for opening a US bank account so I know a local issued card will (or should) always be accepted.

I once had a panic when I only had my UK card a while back, I was driving back from Miami across to Naples on the Gulf coast, and half way across Alligator Alley in the everglades I needed gas, I pulled into the only service station for miles, a little back wood place off the main drag (you know the type,where it could be a scene out of the movie "Deliverance" !) and they would not accept my UK debit card, or travelers cheque.
          I only had $5 in cash in my pocket, so I used that for a couple of gallon and set off, it wasn't long before the low fuel light came on...I drove another 50 miles with it on until I got close to Naples and found a garage that would take travelers cheque....

That was one scary trip.... I thought if I run out of gas here in the middle of nowhere, either the alligators will get me...or the bloody hill billies will rape and kill me ! and I'll never be seen again....

Comment

I agree with you 100% on this one & you get used to life without them.
            Here's a wee beer to celebrate, i paid cashing:layer:

I’m flabbergasted at you saying “Hence” though lol

Gerry x

Comment

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel like a piggy Allan!!

phew glad you made it!

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry View Post

I’m flabbergasted at you saying “Hence” though lol

Gerry x
                Forgive me Gerry, feeling a bit tired this afternoon, so your quote above went over my head, maybe you can spell it out for me.. ?

However for clarification, my use of "Hence" = "Therefore" my reason for opening a US bank Account
                OK my wee pal...

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnylooloo View Post
                  Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel like a piggy Allan!!
                  Hoink Hoink...isn't that the sound piggy's make ?

However according to the Urban Dictionary....maybe not..http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=HoinK

I think we have got a little off topic....

Comment

WTF........

and yes we have lets get back to credit cards.

Are these top up credit cards ever a good idea? I'm not even bothering to look into right now as got so much going on, but just wondered if anyone used them?

Comment

Looloo I suppose top up cards do have a place in the system for some folks, but not for me, Not really a top up credit card, but I once used one of the type issued by Travelex when going on holiday a few years back instead of taking Travelers cheques or too much in cash.
                      I found it did not work in quite a few cash machines, and the withdrawal fees taken from the balance when it did, worked out more than if I had just used my debit card overseas.

I suppose the bottom line with any type of pre-paid card is be sure of the fees attached to it's use.

Comment

Cool thanks - didnt' think there was anything great about them - so will just manage as we do!!

Comment

I finished paying off my cc's on Nov 2nd 2010 but I quite simply cannot part with them!!

When I was BT'ing from 1 to another for the better deals, I closed some along the way but the one's I've still got I can't bring myself to part with.

I like the security of knowing that I can use one if I have to but I feel guilty if I do!!
                          Made by God...Improved by the Devil
                          Save £2 a day - £1610.00 so far

Comment

Originally posted by alland View Post
                            Hoink Hoink...isn't that the sound piggy's make ?

However according to the Urban Dictionary....maybe not..http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=HoinK

I think we have got a little off topic....

How on earth do you know these things??!!

Getting (quickly) back to credit cards. When I was first considering UE I wondered how I'd manage without credit cards to 'fall back on'. The whole idea of not having a credit card was unthinkable.

Now, almost a year on, I find I can manage reasonably well, especially as I'm also out of work. It's a case of going back to the 'good old days' - you either save for something or do without!

The No Spend days are a great way of making you think about whether you really need something. More often than not you don't!
                            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Sometimes life is hard without CC.
                              I needed a car for a few days but couldn't rent any without credit card.
                              Not only big corporations but also all local small companies do require credit card or sometimes two CCs to cover possible damage costs.

Comment

Working...
                              X