GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Store Card - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Store Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Store Card

Some advice/opinions please...

My fiancee and I recently went to a shop so she could buy some jeans. At the checkout, we were told by the lady at the checkout that she could apply for a store card - and if she got it, she would be entitled to 25% all purchases made with it.

The APR is something ridiculous, like 39.9% or something, but we told that she has 56 days in which to pay it off before any interest is applied, so we thought this was a really good deal.

So the lady filled in the application, asking us questions which I felt seemed a little too in-depth for a store card, such as MY income as well as hers, our mortgage costs etc... but I played along - if it strengthened her chances then I didnt mind.

They then phoned a number and passed her the phone and told her to listen to the terms and conditions. She did, but the supervisor kept talking to her during the call, so she couldnt focus fully on the call, and even said afterwards "it has asked me to press something if I understand, but I didnt hear it all" and the supervisor said "just press any button", which she did, and it terminated the call. The supervisor then phoned through to (as we now know) Santander to pass on the details of the application for the credit check etc... and it was approved.

She then asked my partner to sign the application, and put the jeans she was buying onto the account (but they were not eligable for the 25% discount apparently - only future purchases would be, nothing bought that day was).

She received some documentation today, and it triggered some alarm bells. She went online to check, and the website confirmed what the documents said, that she isn't entitled to a 25% discount of all purchases - only 10%, and only for the first 3 months!

We are not mistaken, as we asked these two staff members lots of details about the 25% off, such as would her NHS discount be applicable on top of it, can it be used on promotions, such as 3 for 2, half price items etc...

This was clearly mis-selling, but what can we do about it, and what can we expect?

Thanks

Re: Store Card

My thoughts for what they are worth.

Do you have any balance on the card now?

If you dont write to Santander and tell them to close the account and detail why you are unhappy ie what you have just written above.

They may give you a small token for a nafted off customer but more likely they will close your account and that will be that.

But they lost a customer. And if you tell everyone you know there is a chance they could lose more.

That is how many many of us will have started our own journeys many many moons ago.

Seduced by too good to be true offers.

Comment

Thank you. Yes, there is a balance on it - the jeans she bought. It's not a big balance, and she can pay it off now she has received the paperwork.

Could this not be seen as the latest "PPI" style mis-selling and be reported to FOS, FSA etc...?

Comment

I think alot of this will revolve around what was signed at the shop.

It will be in the T & C's. If they said x but you have signed for y then y would be what the court would uphold.

PPI was miss-sold because it was useless to many and was added after via phone conversations and the like.

In this case you have entered into a CCA freely. This CCA will have T & C's. I would think its also got a cooling off period? But and I am no expert they can vary things if its in there.

Just for the very reason you are on about now. You think they played a curved ball to you and have been less than truthful.

Sadly thats what these guys do. Tempt us

Personally and others may disagree I would pay the balance and write a stinky letter to Santander along the lines of what you have written above but being very definite you wish to close the account.

You may or may not get a trinket off them.

I would then put this one down to experience but remember that banks name.

Comment

I would also consider writing to the customer service department of the retailer in question and make a formal complaint as Santander may (I use may in very loose terms) be an innocent party here if it was the shop assistants who mislead about the discount.

If possible try to remember the day/time that you went into the shop (should be on your receipt).

If the staff are on commission for 'selling' these cards I would not be surprised if the store manager also has a target for selling x number a week so there is probably lots of pressure on pushing these cards (just like the extended warranty stuff)
          "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Agreed a two pronged approach would be good.

Santander have just taken 800 of their own salesforce out for retraining so you could perhaps mention that they might also consider refreshers for shop staff.

As to the retailer they are much more touchy about bad press. Just see Starbucks offering to pay tax to see that.

Instead of the customer relations I would be tempted to locate the CEO and complain to him/her.

Ask him why he allows his staff to lie and if he thinks it would be a good idea to write to BBC watchdog/press, anyone who would like to know.

I did that with Argos last week for a £65 item. Got £15 back so wasnt waste of time really.

Comment

Yes I think you could be really pushy on this, you should make it clear that the ONLY reason you agreed to an application in the first place was the promise of the 25% discount.

I'd even be considering arguing the remediation of your credit file as there will no doubt be a footprint left from the credit search.
              "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thank you all - sorry for slow reply - hectic time at work!

Yes, I do actually feel Santander are kind of innocent in this - as they just provide the credit, they didnt talk to us - but perhaps I will suggest that they should actually speak to the applicant when the worker rings it in, to clarify what made them choose to take the card... this way they could hit mis-selling on the head!

Comment

Working...
                X