GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Basic Bank Account - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic Bank Account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Bank Account

hey everyone,

I'm currently looking for a new basic bank account. I don't have a very good credit score so I need a bank where they don't do credit checks. So far I've found an account on the website of eccount money where they don't check your score. But I still wanted to search for alternatives to compare.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks!

Jessica
    Last edited by MightyBoosh; 28 August 2012, 17:44.

Re: Basic Bank Account

The one that is mostly recommended to those with a poor credit score is the Coop Cashminder account.

I dont think you are going to escape a credit check for a bank account unfortunately.

EDIT - just looked at their site. £12.50 a month AND 50p for every cash withdrawal you make is a hefty fee to pay.
    Last edited by oscar; 27 August 2012, 19:45.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

The Co-operative Cashminder account is a very good basic account The Co-operative Bank | Cashminder I have one and my credit rating is dire - it can even be opened by bankrupts). It doesn't matter if there isn't a branch near you as you can open an account over the phone (can't do it online) and use the Post Office if you need to pay money in.

Most of the banks offer basic bank accounts but make sure that you don't open one with a bank that you owe money to - be careful of banks within the same group - because they can take money out of your account, eg wages, to offset your debt.
      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Info on basic accounts here: Basic bank accounts - Money Advice Service

List of available ones here: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...unts_table.pdf

In theory most of those will not do a credit check in the way you are thinking. i.e. do a check or assessment of your "creditworthiness" before giving you an account. That is the point of a basic account. You can get one with a poor record. Checks for ID verification and money laundering etc will still be done, but not score.

Comment

Originally posted by MightyBoosh View Post
          So far I've found an account on the website of eccount
          Have you seen the fees they charge?

Money down the drain.

Originally posted by oscar View Post
          EDIT - just looked at their site. £12.50 a month AND 50p for every cash withdrawal you make is a hefty fee to pay.
          Yep. Just saw. Not good.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post

I didn't check out the eccount...but those fees are ridiculous especially when you can get basic bank accounts that don't charge a fee.
            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Working...
            X