GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script ATM problem - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATM problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATM problem

Hi,

I tried to draw some money out of an ATM in my local supermarket on Friday and after an age waiting it said something along the lines of "session timeout, transaction cancelled, then out of order or similar". I went to use the machine next to it as there's two and it wouldn't let me have the money due to insufficient funds. Checking my a/c on my phone I can see the money shows as being taken and I didn't have enough left to take it again.

I know the problem is the internet speed round here, but went to see the shop manager to report it and she said it happens a quite a lot. I've had the issue with the POS machines before and it's normally refunded back in 3 working days. Anyhow phoned the bank so they were aware and have left it until today to see if the money would return but as it hadn't I phoned the bank again. The man had to ask me questions so he could fill in a form to pass to a different dept, all this was costing me money as it's an 0845 number on my mobile, and the upshot is that it can take up to 15 days !!!!! If I had known that I would have done the report on Friday grrrr

Just what I need before Xmas, has anyone had the same thing happen and if so did it really take 15 days to sort ?,

Banks NatWest by the way, but it was one of those generic link cashpoint machines you find in supermarkets and garages

Thx

Re: ATM problem

Did you really expect any better service from the NatWorst Bank?

Comment

Good point

Comment

It's actually not natwest. It's the ATM operator. They'll get a tally at the end of the day and it should reset itself. You usually call the number on the ATM - to get local rate number for natwest look on the back of your card. It's there as an overseas number. I call it all the time when I call natwest.

It shouldn't take this long so complain to the bank who should be able to provide a temp overdraft / funds until it's found its way back. They can do this as they'll be aware whether your cash was dispensed or not as the ATM operator usually has an automated upload (around 4pm) which lets them know in Head Offixe how much to send to fill up with securicor etc. At the same time they'll match the machine shut-down at the time your transaction took place.

I can't believe they're saying 2 weeks!! Nuts.

Put a complaint in and emphasise the distress and hardship it's causing you and your family. If you need to then go to FOS it's already in motion.
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Yep, it seems like the ATM is timing out before the transaction completes but after the bank has authorised the payment and completed the withdrawal transaction. Somebody has not been managing their system properly, looking at their logs, testing transit times and refining the timeout parameters. Not rocket science just thoroughness in testing and monitoring; qualities not necessarily in abundance in the finance sector.

The ATM supplier is to blame, but RBS needs to manage their contract with them better. Unfortunately, it is likely that the reconciliation staff have been made redundant as they must earn at least £15k pa.

Comment

I have had this before (and quite recently). When it happened years ago, took about a week for money to be returned, more recently, it took 24 hours.
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

What a nuisance. If an ATM is there it should be fit for purpose or they should take the fooking thing away!
              When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I'd be getting straight on to this guy -

les.matheson@rbs.com

who is the contact given on CEO email for the GnatPest Bank. Make sure that your communication is headed "Formal Complaint", so they cannot ignore it. If they do, take it to the FOS.

SH

Comment

Originally posted by SA Gold View Post
                  If an ATM is there it should be fit for purpose or you should fill the thing with concrete.
                  I've fixed your post for you.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                    I've fixed your post for you.

i was going to add to the original post not to take away in the way some people pull up with a truck, pull from the wall and go! But, you have suggested another option CC
                    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Thanks everyone, it's a right pain and I'll be sending an email to Mr M. Our internet is so bad at times out here in the sticks, I've had the same issue with the POS machines before where there's a delay and the money goes from my a/c but when the signal gets delayed on the way back the transaction gets declined. The problem here is that I've only had say £50 in the a/c and the shopping was for £30 so when you try it again there's not enough money left and you end up embarrassed trying to explain to the person behind the counter that the money was there.....honest.

Apparently we are due for fibre............................................. ...............................................in 2016

Comment

email sent

Comment

Working...
                        X