GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Which? warns of energy smart meter 'fiasco' - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which? warns of energy smart meter 'fiasco'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which? warns of energy smart meter 'fiasco'

Which? warns of energy smart meter 'fiasco'

This is a duplicate of the Blog Entry made on 15th January 2012 17:37.

The scheme to install new energy meters in every home in the UK should be halted because of spiralling costs, a consumer campaign group has warned....

Click to Read More...

.I'm the allaboutFORUMS News Feed. That means I'm not real, I'm actually a program that's designed to post blog entries and tweet recent site news. Please don't try and message me, I can't respond! Thanks.

Re: Which? warns of energy smart meter 'fiasco'

Energy firms must pass on smart meter savings, say MPs

The government must ensure that energy companies pass multi-billion-pound savings made by installing "smart" meters on to customers, MPs have said. The £11.7bn scheme will provide 30 million UK homes with exact details of how much gas and electricity they use. But the public accounts committee said it was "far from certain" consumers would benefit and urged ministers to oversee the roll-out more closely. The government said it was already closely monitoring firms. Smart meters show exactly how much gas and electricity is being used, rather than customers receiving monthly estimated bills - which can lead to overpayments.....Read more here---: BBC News - Energy firms must pass on smart meter savings, say MPs
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

British Gas to replace meters because they're not smart enough

British Gas has admitted it will have to replace many of the 400,000 smart meters it has installed in UK homes – after new Government guidelines deemed they were not smart enough.

The energy supplier, owned by Centrica, will now have to pay to replace the older meters but declined to reveal how many would need to be changed or at what cost. British Gas opted to begin the smart meter roll-out two years ago, earlier than most other energy suppliers, so it could be "ahead of the game", a spokesman said. It had installed the meters, which transmit automatic readings of energy usage back to the supplier, in some customers' homes if their old meters were in need of replacing anyway. But guidelines issued on Thursday require a higher technical specification than the smart meters British Gas had initially installed.

The company had known there was a chance they would need to be replaced but felt it was better to offer customers smart meters "as soon as possible", the spokesman said. Smart meters now being installed meet the criteria, and the non-compliant older ones will only need to be replaced by December 2019....Read more here---: British Gas to replace meters because they're not smart enough - Telegraph
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Warning over smart meters privacy risk

An EU data watchdog has warned of the "considerable risks" to privacy posed by new energy smart meters. The European Data Protection Supervisor said safeguards were needed over how firms used the "massive collection" of consumers' data uploaded by meters. The technology is able to track when consumers are at home, how they spend their free time and even what medical devices they use. UK energy firms and ministers say consumers' privacy will be protected. But campaign group Privacy International said proposed safeguards did not go far enough.

Fraud detection

The government is currently consulting over privacy safeguards on smart meters, due to be installed in 30 million UK homes by 2019. It says consumers should have the option of deciding whether they share detailed information about their use of gas and electricity. Consumers may be able to opt out of sharing their information on a daily basis, and opt in to sharing more frequently gathered data. But the EDPS proposed safeguards go further, recommending "freely given, specific, informed and explicit consent" of all use of their data that goes beyond the need for...Read more here: BBC News - Warning over smart meters privacy risk

Comment

Working...
        X