GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Why did banks argue against the consumers? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did banks argue against the consumers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did banks argue against the consumers?

A good question - WHY

The banks’ failed attempt to wriggle out of repaying payment protection insurance mis-selling victims a combined £9bn is another example of the utter contempt shown to customers. Consumers can celebrate now the British Bankers’ Association has decided not to appeal a High Court ruling that upheld Financial Services Authority (FSA) rules that force lenders to review past sales of PPI and compensate those wronged.
    But the motive behind banks’ tactics is in desperate need of further scrutiny, with a charge list as long almost as long as the catalogue of methods they used to flog policies to unsuspecting borrowers. Not only did they mis-sell the insurance, most major banks (other than Santander) then put complaints on hold pending the result of the legal case.
    This was in defiance of the FSA which clearly stated they must continue to process complaints on PPI – to protect loan and credit card payments if you cannot work. This has helped create such a huge back-log that most borrowers who demand compensation via the independent Financial Ombudsman Service must wait over a year.
    The Ombudsman typically upholds over two thirds of PPI complaints in consumers’ favour, which highlights another abuse.
    As you must first complain to your lender before involving the Ombudsman it shows far too many complaints are wrongly rejected initially.
    The Ombudsman upholds over 90% of complaints against some of the worst offenders. Next up is examining why exactly banks launched the case. They claimed the FSA was wrongly asking them to apply new rules to judge the way they sold policies many years ago. Yet all the new rules do is add common-sense detail. When you consider much mis-selling happened when staff added insurance without consent or lied by telling borrowers that they’d only get a loan if they also bought cover, it does not matter what rulebook is in place – this is not only mis-selling, it is fraud. So why did banks argue against such clear violations of consumers’ rights? Only they can answer that but their actions have once again helped create the total mistrust many have in them.
    Guy Anker is a personal finance journalist and TV producer
    http://www.money-marketuk.com/index....ion&Itemid=317

Re: Why did banks argue against the consumers?

Guy Anker is MSE Guy on MSE, btw. Not all banks did argue against it. Santander headed by at the time, Antonio Osoria(now Lloyds Banking CEO) never argued against PPI. I have to say I was very surprised that they did not appeal either.

Comment

Yup does say in there excluding Santander and I thought I recognised that name somewhere so thanks nattie for clearing that up as it bugs me when I cant to a face to a name etc
      Last edited by pompeyfaith; 9 June 2011, 20:53.

Comment

Originally posted by nattie View Post
        Guy Anker is MSE Guy on MSE, btw.
        Yep a total idiot at that!
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I am too surprised, just glad my complaints were with lloyds now, also resolved.

About time others banks done the same and move on with the complaints!

Comment

Working...
          X