GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Lloyds TSB defeated - withdrawal PPI battle. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lloyds TSB defeated - withdrawal PPI battle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lloyds TSB defeated - withdrawal PPI battle.

Lloyds TSB defeated - withdrawal PPI battle.

Well the game is up on these folks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...otection-costs

Lloyds dragged back into red by £3bn payment protection charge

The bank has reported a pre-tax loss of £3.4bn – barely three months after former boss Eric Daniels heralded the first return to profit since the financial crisis and was awarded a £1.45m bonus.

Lloyds Banking Group had make a pre-tax profit of £1.1bn in the same three months a year ago Photograph: John Stillwell/PA
    Bailed out Lloyds Banking Group has sunk to a deep first-quarter loss after taking a larger than expected provision of £3.2bn to cover the costs of misselling payment protection insurance.

New chief executive António Horta-Osório said the provision – three times bigger than many estimates – was "absolutely prudent and the right thing to do". The Portuguese-born banker, who took the helm on 1 March after running the UK arm of Santander, signalled a truce with the Financial Services Authority over PPI, saying: "It is appropriate to take a provision now and move on."

Shares in the bank, in which the taxpayer has a stake of more than 40%, were the biggest fallers in the FTSE 100 on Thursday morning, losing 5% to 55p and dragging rivals lower.

Horta-Osório insisted he was not "kitchen sinking" as the bank also upped the charge for bad loans by £500m more than expected, blaming the situation in Ireland. Lloyds was a major lender following its rescue of HBOS during the 2008 banking crisis. It is expecting another 10% fall in commercial property prices in Ireland and the total group impairment charge is £2bn for the first quarter.
    The £3.2bn provision for PPI forced the bank to report a pre-tax loss of £3.4bn barely three months after the former boss Eric Daniels had heralded the return to a first full-year profit for the bailed-out bank since the crisis and was awarded a £1.45m bonus.

The bank had made a pre-tax profit of £1.1bn in the same three months a year ago and insisted that its performance was "satisfactory" on what it calls a combined business basis, which strips out the costs associated with the integration. On this measure profits were £284m.

The PPI provision follows the high court judgment on 20 April which upheld a ruling by the FSA that banks should compensate customers retrospectively for PPI. The FSA has estimated its new rules will lead to PPI providers paying out up to £1.3bn in compensation for new complaints received during the coming five years, and up to £3.2bn as a result of reviewing previous PPI sales and pro-actively contacting customers to offer them redress. That total £4.5bn bill now looks unclear in the context of the size of the provision taken by Lloyds, which under previous management had resisted taking any provisions for redress and stalled on paying claims.

The British Bankers Association, which had been leading the court action against the FSA, has until the middle of next week to ask for leave to appeal the high court judgment.
    The BBA said: "The BBA is are presently carefully reviewing the judgment of 20 April and considering whether to make an application to appeal. This decision must be made by 10 May. We will make a decision in due course."

Horta-Osório has made it clear that Lloyds no longer intended to participate in the industry-wide action. "We will not be participating in the BBA review," he said.
    "It is the sensible, prudent and right thing to do," he said of the U-turn. "We believe it draws a line under this issue," he said, adding it provided "certainty" for customers and was "in the long-term stability" for the business. But he would not disclose how many customers it had sold PPI to and how many can now expect redress.
    The £3.4bn of losses also included integration costs £333m, which have now topped £3bn since the HBOS deal.

Lloyds reiterated its surprise at the independent banking commission's decision to suggest more branches should be sold off in addition to 600 branches demanded by the EU in return for almost £20bn of taxpayer aid and warned could delay the existing sales process which Horta-Osório had accelerated when he arrived in March.
    For the whole of 2010 the bank took £13.1bn of bad debt provisions – some £5.7bn related to problems in Ireland and Australia inherited from the controversial HBOS deal.

In the first quarter it blamed Ireland for the £500m larger than expected rise in provisions. "During the past three months, a further approximately 7% of the £27.6bn Irish book has become impaired, resulting in approximately 60% of the portfolio now being impaired. Provisions as a percentage of impaired Irish loans were 56% at the end of March 2011," the bank said.
    The group also took a charge of £70m in the quarter as a result of losses arising from the earthquake in New Zealand.

Analysts noted that first-quarter income had fallen to £5.2bn as higher funding costs hit margins, which the bank had already warned were under pressure.
    The bank is prohibited from paying dividends by the EU.

Re: Lloyds TSB defeated - withdrawal PPI battle.

And straight from the horses mouth....

http://www.lloydstsb.com/payment_pro...complaints.asp

What does the Judicial Review mean for my PPI Complaint?
    We are no longer participating in the Judicial Review or are part of how the British Bankers’ Association intends to respond to the High Court’s recent judgment.

We are now reassessing the complaints that we have already received and dealing with them in a swift and timely manner.

Those customers who have not complained but have concerns about their PPI policy should contact us directly using the details above.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13291640

Lloyds to pay £3.2bn for mis-selling PPI policies.

Lloyds Banking Group has set aside £3.2bn to pay compensation to customers who were mis-sold payment protection insurance (PPI).
      The bank is inviting past purchasers of PPI to get in contact and lodge a claim for compensation if they think they were mis-sold the policies.
      PPI policies are supposed to cover loan repayments if someone falls ill, has an accident or loses their job.
      The huge bill has pushed Lloyds into the red to the tune of £3.47bn.

Legal ruling
      Lloyds' decision will put huge pressure on other lenders to follow suit.
      The bank made it clear that its move followed the recent High Court defeat for the British Bankers' Association (BBA).
      The BBA had challenged new rules imposed by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) for selling PPI and which, importantly, require banks and other lenders to review all past sales of the insurance.

Lloyds said: "Since publication of the judgment, the group has been in discussions with the FSA with a view to seeking clarity around the detailed implementation of the policy statement.
      "As a result, and given the initial analysis that the group has conducted of compliance with applicable sales standards which is continuing, the group has concluded that there are certain circumstances where customer contact and/or redress will be appropriate."

Lloyds' decision on PPI could hardly be more dramatic, or more expensive for the bank.
      It has thrown in the towel after years in which the banking industry has denied there was much of a problem.
      Banks have fobbed off hundreds of thousands of complaining customers.
      Of course, not all PPI policies were mis-sold and some have paid out.
      But millions were sold, by credit card and hire purchase providers as well as banks.
      The FSA's initial estimate of an industry-wide bill for mis-selling of a bit over £3bn is now looking like a wild underestimate.
      The chances must be that the rest of the banks will finally do as they have been told by the regulators.

Comment

And of course the rates are going up so they can recoup their 'losses'.

Telegraph

Nothing the financial institutions are capable of amazes me anymore.

Comment

Well lets hope this will be the beginning of an end.

This should put pressure on the remaining banks and if they have any sense they will do the same, stuff the appeal!

Comment

I think it is you who has 'cracked em' di.
            Half of the money set aside is to cover the costs of responding to all your correspondence...
            Well done!

Comment

Originally posted by MattyA View Post
              I think it is you who has 'cracked em' di.
              Half of the money set aside is to cover the costs of responding to all your correspondence...
              Well done!

Cheers Matty.

All we want now is the others to do the same.

Its coming to crunch time now, it would be daft if the BBA takes it all the way to appeal and yet waste more money.

They seem to forget who bailed the big banks out!

Comment

Well it looks like Barclays will be announcing pulling out of the BBA appeal,, so this leaves HSBC and The Royal Bank of Scotland to decide!

Come on you remaining banks stop cutting off the nose to spite the face, and get back into the real world.

Comment

..........there were two in the bed, & the little one said "roll over"........

Comment

lol, great or what?

Excellent news!

Comment

Couldn't resist posting up this pic link

http://www.cartoonbankers.com/wp-con...010/10/ppi.bmp

Comment

I just sent my forms to the FOS.......I guess I will be hearing from Lloyds soon then!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mickb1969 View Post
                          I just sent my forms to the FOS.......I guess I will be hearing from Lloyds soon then!!

Well hopefully, although they do have a huge backlog, and apparently hiring lots more staff (with the bank)- to try to keep on the intake of even more complaints coming in.

Fingers crossed.
                          Last edited by di30; 13 May 2011, 11:00.

Comment

Mick, it may take some time unfortunately but hopefully not.

They are unidated with complaints and have a huge backlog, although I would assume the FOS will take on further staff as well.

If mine are not resolved by the bank by the next coming weeks its a direction I will be taking to the FOS, but going by experience some taken more time than others.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X