GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Legal Aid - Unfair Bank Charges - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legal Aid - Unfair Bank Charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Aid - Unfair Bank Charges

Legal Aid granted for unfair bank charges

The Scottish Legal Aid Board have granted full civil legal aid certificates in the cases of Sharp v. Bank of Scotland plc and Reid v. Clydesdale Bank plc. This will enable Govan Law Centre to argue that the overdraft charges applied to our clients' current accounts were unfair in relation to s.140A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, as amended, and separately, regulation 5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations (on grounds excluding price in relation to the UTCCR as per the decision of the UK Supreme Court in OFT v. Abbey National plc and others).

http://govanlc.blogspot.com/2011/03/...rom-govan.html
    Last edited by Gerry; 19 March 2011, 23:53.

Re: Legal Aid - Unfair Bank Charges

This have any effect in England and Wales Gerry?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
      This have any effect in England and Wales Gerry?
      I dont know Oscar, Its the first Unfair Bank Charges Case that i've heard of to be granted legal aid. I would imagine if legal aid is granted in scotland for the case, it should also be given in England and Wales.

Gerry x

Comment

Its just for Scotland right now, different laws remember although we can utilise certain case law, presedent doesn't always work the same and because this is not in England, until someone succeeds in England, it'll stay as a Scottish presedent right now. Unfortunately....
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
          Its just for Scotland right now, different laws remember although we can utilise certain case law, presedent doesn't always work the same and because this is not in England, until someone succeeds in England, it'll stay as a Scottish presedent right now. Unfortunately....
          Its a step in the right direction though, Thanks to Mike Dailly from Govan Law Centre.

Comment

Working...
          X