GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script E-mail and the DPA - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-mail and the DPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-mail and the DPA

I have a separate e-mail, on a separate domain, on a separate e-mail program for dealing with debts and such matters when I do not wish to use my personal e-mail. It is never used to sign up to any websites, etc. Solely for person to person communications.
    Today I've received an e-mail from BPO/Lowell to my private e-mail account regarding a debt. I've spoken to them on the other mail but never on this one, and there is no way the addresses could've crossed or been mistakenly used.

In this e-mail there are such details as name, account number, amount owed, who too along with the usual penny baiting "offers."
    As there is no way they could confirm this e-mail is the person they're looking for would this constitute a breach of personal information?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Signature removed by site-admin. Please PM Niddy if you have any questions about why it's been removed.

Meany

Re: E-mail and the DPA

Chances are they've got it from a trace search. You'll have used it for something - somewhere? Maybe your mobile account, sky account? All these firms share data via N Hunter etc

They knew it's you. Hence they sent the email they did as its been provided by you at some point in the past in some account or application you made.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
      Chances are they've got it from a trace search. You'll have used it for something - somewhere? Maybe your mobile account, sky account? All these firms share data via N Hunter etc

They knew it's you. Hence they sent the email they did as its been provided by you at some point in the past in some account or application you made.
      Nope, afraid not. I have 3 active e-mails. The one for debt, the one for accounts (mobile, virgin, gas and electric, twitter, facebook etc) and the one the e-mail came to. It's never been used for anything outside of e-mailing friends and a single forum.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Signature removed by site-admin. Please PM Niddy if you have any questions about why it's been removed.

Meany

Comment

Originally posted by JudgeDreddy View Post
        Nope, afraid not. I have 3 active e-mails. The one for debt, the one for accounts (mobile, virgin, gas and electric, twitter, facebook etc) and the one the e-mail came to. It's never been used for anything outside of e-mailing friends and a single forum.
        Well they didn't guess it mate. Trust me - you've used it somewhere. That's the only way they got it.
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
          Well they didn't guess it mate. Trust me - you've used it somewhere. That's the only way they got it.
          That I agree with, nevertheless it hasn't been through a financial institution or link, possibly another, however they still haven't confirmed it belongs to who they're after before filling it full of information. The e-mail that was used to contact them is also not used in any other location so a search wouldn't have flagged up a connection. I lost my last e-mail to spam e-mail so I'm very careful who has what.

Meany

Comment

And your problem is . . . ?

From what I can gather Lowell has emailed you with a debt issue.

I'm not clear on whether the email came from BW Legal on behalf of Lowell (please clarify).

Is this a debt which you have no connection with or have never heard of?

Can you tell us more about this debt regardless of how Lowell has chosen to communicate with you.

That way we may be able to help you deal with the problem before it goes too far.

Plan B x

Comment

Apologies for the delay. Sent email telling then address was in error, they replied with an apology and agreed to remove it.

Plan B, it's from an old Nationwide account. It's basically bank charges caused when I swapped accounts to HSBC. Got told it'd all be changed over automatically but it wasn't. Last contact was about 4 years ago.

Meany

Comment

Working...
              X