GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Wescot Shenanigans... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wescot Shenanigans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wescot Shenanigans...

Hi All...

I'll try to be as brief as I can with this one

In may 2012 I closed my business and was left with a number of debts. One of them was a Barclays Bank business overdraft of £10,000 for which I was a personal guarantor. When the business closed, I contacted Barclays with a monthly offer of payment based on a pro rata amount of my disposable income at that time taking into consideration my other creditors.

Barclays accepted my offer of £45 per month and I have subsequently paid them every month since and have never missed a payment.

On 27 Jul 2015 I received a letter from Barclays saying they were transferring the management of this debt to Wescots and that Wescots would be contacting me shortly to arrange payments to them instead of Barclays.

Wescots sent me a letter a few days later as expected and asked me to contact them. I chose not to actually contact them by phone or letter, but instead followed the payment link in their letter and set up a standing order to pay them £45 a month. A couple of days later a payment was made to Wescots.

In early August, Westcots contacted me by letter to say that I hadn't taken any action on their first letter. I emailed Westcots and informed them that I had taken action and that July's payment had been sent and August's payment was due to be sent within the next two days.

They emailed back simply saying that they couldn't discuss my account with them until I verified my home address and date of birth.

Not wanting to give them any more information than is absolutely necessary, I emailed back saying that I wasn't willing to share that information and they simply had to check their account and they would find they had now received two payments as per the original agreement I had with Barclays and that they would continue to receive a payment for £45 every month.

They again emailed back and said they could not discuss my account without verifying my address and date of birth and they were putting my account on hold..

I wrote again saying that I wasn't particularly bothered about 'discussing' my account and therefore wasn't willing to give them my address or date of birth. I pointed out that if they couldn't be bothered to check their account then that was their problem and not mine and if they had put my account on hold, would they like me to stop paying?

The last email I received a couple of days ago continues along the same lines, except this time they have said that even if I was paying what I was required to pay, they may still take recovery action against me because I haven't contacted them and set up a payment plan.

That's where our communication ends. Please tell me if I am being unreasonable in not verifying my address and date of birth and I will do so immediately. Alternatively, what action should I take now, other than continuing to pay every month?

Many thanks in advance...

Re: Wescot Shenanigans...

It's because you're emailing.

Write a letter. They'll respond to you then - if not and they again demand ID then formally complain so it gives you a route to FOS at a later date. Don't supply evidence if you write a letter.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Wetcloths at it again - kindergarten out again!
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
        It's because you're emailing.

Write a letter. They'll respond to you then - if not and they again demand ID then formally complain so it gives you a route to FOS at a later date. Don't supply evidence if you write a letter.
        Cheers Niddy, I'll get something sorted and sent off.

Comment

Working...
        X