GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Can a business debt be SB? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a business debt be SB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a business debt be SB?

I run a limited company and a couple years ago we had a falling out with our accountant over the massive bills she was sending us. Essentially the products she sold us were not fit for purpose and caused us massive problems and also the use of these products incurred huge labour costs on us which were charged by her at accountants rates rather than book-keeping rates. So, the position was that she says we owe her £15k or so. I dispute this and we have reached stalemate. I did pay her a small sum about 18 months ago but that's it. I have not actually said to here that I am not paying it and dispute the amount as yet.

We have since changed accountants and moved on. The last contact we had was over 12 months ago and she has not asked for money since. I have been advised to make her a small offer in final settlement in order to clear the matter off our books but I don't even feel like doing that. She nearly trashed our business. I also cannot be bothered raising it up again and going through any potential court action. I just don't have the time.

The question really is whether there is a time period as with a personal debt where if she hasn't asked for the money, it is too late and can be written off?

Re: Can a business debt be SB?

6 years in england and 5 years in scotland. Thats the time it takes before a debt is statued barred.

I assume your accounts show the debt as being owed? if so i would be abit concerned that you couldnt prove it wasnt owed if its showing on your balance sheet.

In personal expierence courts will rule that an accountant is owed the money if the work has already been done. Your only argument would be whether the money was owed for work done or not.

Sorry but accountants can charge what they wish, and you dont have consumer law behind you to help fight whats reasonable.

So if i was you, id avoid court action and try and settle.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
    X