GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Help with response to DCA please! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with response to DCA please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with response to DCA please!

Hi all

I have just received the attached letter from Moorcroft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Moor VM 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1414372

I would like to respond and looking for help with how I should respond. I'll try and summarise the circumstances:

In April 2012 I was aware that I was going to lose my job in May. I contacted Virgin Mobile and explained my financial circumstances were due to change and asked if they would renegotiate my contract of £25 month to something more manageable when I became unemployed. They said that as my account was in good order and not in default, there was nothing they could do and suggested I contacted them again if an when I went into default. In May I subsequently defaulted on my contract and wrote to them asking if they would renegotiate my contract as I could no loner afford £25. They never responded directly to my letter but had sent a text saying my service had been suspended. I then changed to a PAYG sim with another provider as I no longer had the ability to make calls with Virgin. I then received a letter from Virgin telling me I had defaulted on my account and that they had tried to contact me by phone to discuss the matter. I wrote back explaining they wouldn't be able to contact me by phone as they had suspended my service but I was willing to discuss the issue with them in writing and included a copy of the original letter I had sent them. Again they ignored my request to try and resolve the issue and just kept sending computer generated letters telling me I owed them money. I wrote for the third time asking for them to respond directly to my letters so we may sort the matter out and again they ignored me. The last letter I received from Virgin was to tell me they would be taking action to recover the remainder of my contract.

Yesterday I received the letter from Moorcroft. I would like to know how to respond to Moorcroft and also whether anyone thinks I have cause to complain to OfCom for Virgins refusal to correspond with me in writing, when I was clearly asking for help to resolve the matter.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Help with response to DCA please!

I've had several of those letters from Moorcroft, but in connection with UE debts so I sent the threat-o-gram template which wouldn't be appropriate here.

The problem with mobile phone contracts is that they expect you to pay for the whole of the contract, regardless of your circumstances. It might be worth complaining to Ofcom if you can show that you've tried to sort things out. It's ridiculous that Virgin should try to contact you by phone when they've suspended your service

I would write to both Virgin and Moorcroft, enclosing copies of your previous letters, perhaps offering to pay £1 a month, letting them that know that you were prepared to keep the contract going, albeit at a lower monthly tariff. Send the letters recorded delivery.

Are you claiming JSA? If so, it wouldn't be worth them taking you to court because £1 a month is probably all the judge would order you to pay (I know )
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Pixie.

At the minute I'm claiming JSA, but I'm managing to pay £10 per month on my PAYG phone to ensure I have some means of communicating as I have no landline in my home.

It was this £10 I was asking Virgin to consider instead of the £25.

Comment

I only have a mobile too.

It's a shame that Virgin chose not to keep your custom, even at a reduced rate, but they were the same with me when I asked for a discount on my cabletv/landline/broadband package, even though I'd been a customer for more than 10 years. Luckily I was out of contract so I could just cancel but they spent a fortune trying to get me to go back to them...even sending someone to my house to try and persuade me. What a pity they couldn't have used that money to better effect to keep me as a customer...their loss!
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Lots of "mays" and "possibles" in that letter! lol

Comment

Working...
          X