GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Council Tax Arrears - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Council Tax Arrears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax Arrears

Hello All,

Just got off the phone to my local council recovery department and I'm fuming!

Almost up to date with payments but last months payment cheque bounced. (It was actually the banks fault that it bounced but that's a different story!)
    I had contacted the council and said that I would try and clear the account by today. (2 months payments outstanding) This has proved not possible.
    I called the council to explain that I could not settle today and asked that the payments be spread over next years bill. I spoke to a very condescending lady who has told me if I cant pay today that they will look to spread the payments over next years bill but will insist on a court summons being issued to guarantee their money.
    After trying to explain my position and feeling like I was being treated like a naughty child for non payment, I lost my cool and told her I had had enough and she should take me to court. I requested that she recorded the fact that I had made contact and tried to sort out a settlement and then I politely hung up.

What is the impact of a magistrates court order? Does it have any effect on my already tarnished credit file? Or any other problems?

The council will of course add their £55 court fee's to my outstanding bill!!!

Where is the Banging My Head Against A Brick Wall Icon?????

Gemby

Re: Council Tax Arrears

Hi,
    Have arrears myself at the moment and the council took me to court albeit I had alreasy arranged a payment schedule with them. This was to guarantee their money as you say, I got an agreement that providing I stick to the plan they would waive the £50.00 odd fee which was something at least.
    Iwas told it has no impact on credit file

Comment

Thanks fedup,

I blasted off an email to the council yesterday just to let then know my thoughts, but I suppose it will fall on deaf ears!

As a magistrates court is a criminal court, does an order to pay give me a criminal record?

Comment

No it doesn't

Comment

Got the court summons through this week.
          They have given me a date for the end of this month and kindly added £55 in court fees.
          The enclosed leaflet explains that I don't have to attend court if I do not dispute the amount owed.
          Is there any means of defence in this case?
          The bill is in my sole name but I share the property with my partner. She is registered on the electoral role as living at this address.
          Is it worth me saying that the outstanding amount is her share of the bill?
          Just thinking that they would then have to issue the bill in her name and not charge the court fees.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Is it a liability order that you've been issued with? If so and you've made an offer to pay email the actual person on the liability order and tell them that you have been willing to make payment but was met with ignorance on the council's behalf and that you want to raise a formal complaint and that you wish to pay £x each month - spell it out. So long as you've not built up arrears after Afars then they CAN allow you to spread it or at least make part payments.

I am a prime example of a can pay but won't pay - I NEVER pay council tax until they issue me a claim at which point I pay in full. Do I pay the £55 fee? What do you think
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Evidence -> https://www.gov.uk/council-tax-arrears

If you’re struggling to pay your Council Tax, contact your council as soon as possible.

Your council may be able to spread your payments out over a longer time. Only agree to payments you can manage. You may also qualify for Council Tax Reduction.
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi Niddy,

Its just a summons at the moment. Case due on 28 April.
                The hearing is for the council to apply for a liability order.
                As I understand it, once the liability order has been granted, the council will ask me for a financial statement (which can be shown to be pretty dire)
                Think I will ask for instalments of 50p per week and see how that goes! HAhaha

They have just really Pi###d me off with their attitude, so now instead of trying my best to settle the outstanding amount, I will try my best to avoid it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gemby View Post
                  They have just really Porked me off with their attitude, so now instead of trying my best to settle the outstanding amount, I will try my best to avoid it!!
                  That is unwise, as you cannot avoid it; all you might succeed in doing is needlessly enriching lawyers and/or the momzers who now call themselves "enforcement agents".

Instead. make a formal complaint to the council and/or take up the matter with your local, elected councillors and MP. Find those self-serving gits at https://www.writetothem.com

If you can tell me which council it is - by Private Message if you like - I'll try to find details of the CEO, the Leader or Fuhrer of the Council and his/her opposite number, the Leader of the Opposition or of the Official Resistance, as the case may be.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                    I NEVER pay council tax until they issue me a claim at which point I pay in full. Do I pay the £55 fee? What do you think
                    No - your wife pays it to keep you from going to gaol.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                      No - your wife pays it to keep you from going to gaol.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                        That is unwise, as you cannot avoid it; all you might succeed in doing is needlessly enriching lawyers and/or the momzers who now call themselves "enforcement agents".

Instead. make a formal complaint to the council and/or take up the matter with your local, elected councillors and MP. Find those self-serving gits at https://www.writetothem.com

If you can tell me which council it is - by Private Message if you like - I'll try to find details of the CEO, the Leader or Fuhrer of the Council and his/her opposite number, the Leader of the Opposition or of the Official Resistance, as the case may be.
                        Sorry CleverClogs, I know I cant avoid paying it, I will just try and pay it at 50p per week for the next 19 years!

What good does a formal complaint do?

Comment

What good does a formal complaint do?
                          It is the necessary first step on a journey that may end up with you complaining to the Local Government Ombudsman.

Just as you'd do when telling your councillors about the antics of that offensive council employee, your complaint is that she seems determined to hinder payments.

Do you live in Harrow?

Comment

Do you live in Harrow?[/QUOTE]

I will PM you my whereabouts

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs
                              Do you live in Harrow?
                              I will PM you my whereabouts
                              Thank you - I have replied and I hope I have been able to help.

Harrow District Council uses Newlyn plc to collect outstanding Council Tax debts rather than trying attachment orders to benefits or to earnings.
                              Harrow District Council expects a payment from Newlyn plc of some 8% of the profits made by collecting or enforcing Council Tax Liability Orders.

Those two facts are, of course, completely unrelated. Click image for larger version

Name:	flyingpig.gif
Views:	1
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	1400018 Click image for larger version