GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Bailiffs coming tomorrow - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bailiffs coming tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailiffs coming tomorrow

A bailiff came to my house on friday (18th) while I was out and posted a letter saying he will be back tomorrow (monday) at 6am with a locksmith. I have paid the court fine in full today and don't now what else to do. Please can anybody help me?

Re: Bailiffs coming tomorrow

Hi Fallenskies,
    Welcome to AAD!

Did you pay online, and if so have you printed out a copy of the receipt?

Shep x

Comment

Hopefully this is so, in which case I'd be up in time for them coming, keep the doors and windows locked but give him a copy of the receipt through the letter box. They can be tricky beggars and like to add their own fees, so I personally wouldn't open the door.

I'm sure someone who knows more about Bailiffs will be along soon to add to this
      Have a read here for more info on what they can and most importantly can't do:

General Information About Bailiffs - allaboutFORUMS
      Do you mind telling us what the fine is for as your rights vary for different types?
      Kind regards and good luck,
      Shep x

Comment

surely proof of payment is all a decent baliff will need to toddle on his way? I know some can be right assholes, but fingers crossed u have a decent bloke who will accept theres no more he can do.

Besides, maybe im wrong but how can he secure goods against a debt thats now paid up?
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

What was the fine for? I wouldn't take much note of the guide now as much of it is VERY out of date.

It depends what the fine was for as to whether the bailiffs are entitled to take their fees first or not.

Whatever it is for though, the main thing is they won't break in, or return with a locksmith - they are lying I assure you. What they might do if fees are still owed and they can't gain peaceful entry, is levy on your vehicle if it parked outside, so I would either answer the question at the start, or move your vehicle just in case.

Comment

Thanks for your message, Fallen Skies.
            A lot of 24 hour garages have photocopiers...any chance you could get to one?
            Failing that do try ringing the number on the letter...hopefully there will be a voicemail service if he doesn't answer.
            I do feel for you, they can be so pushy!
            As Bboo says, he prob won't turn up. Whatever you do though, if he does turn up, don't open the door or let him in. Talk through an upstairs window if necessary and tell him it's been paid.

Shep x

Comment

Hi Fallen Skies,

Thanks for the message to me as well. the issue was clearly dealt with in the Magistrates' Court, so you should be fine as far as bailiffs visiting are concerned.

The thing which concerns me here is the maths. You stated in your message the amount of the original fine. The bailiffs would be allowed to charge an Administration Fee of £85 and a one off Attendance Fee of £215 = £300.

Is this what you paid, or did you pay that plus the amount of the fine? If you paid the £300 AND the amount of the fine, then you have nothing to worry about as the bailiffs will know they have nothing further to collect from you.

If this is the case, and they said they'd be back with a locksmith, I can only think they are lying in order to worry you which is a typical bailiff tactic - they really are wazzocks!

They will not return if you've paid in full (£300 + fine) so hopefully you have nothing to worry about.

Please reply on open forum as I won't give advice via pm.

Comment

Firstly they can't show up at 6am *unless you leave your house before 6am daily?, secondly you don't have to let them in..

thirdly you don't have to speak to them but if you have paid then please post a receipt in an envelope on your door addressed to them.

When they knock instruct them through a closed door to take the receipt then kindly ask them to get off your property. if that doesn't work tell them YOU will be calling the police. (see how they like threats)
                Last edited by jen_br; 20 May 2012, 21:03.

Comment

They won't show, but if they did, don't call the police. The police will side with the bailiffs or simply claim it's a civil matter. They are wrong, but they receive almost no training re dealing with bailiffs, and I think the one thing that's hammered into their heads is they have a duty to assist a HCEO in the course of their duty. They seem to assume this is the case with all bailiffs.

Comment

Much thanks to everyone who has helped me here today. I will let you know what happens tomorrow. X

Comment

I think the threat of calling the police tend to scare these guys off...
                      Listen I had people come to my door once telling me they were gonna get me deported thats how sad these guys actually are.

Comment

How did it go FS?

Comment

Jen, honestly calling the police is the worst thing you can do. They often call them themselves. I do between 60 - 90 bailiff cases a month at this time of year, so I'm reasonably up to date with things.

The old time coppers (of whom there are few left sadly) would have been helpful. The newer ones have had little training re bailiffs and don't realise they are only there to prevent a breach of the peace.

Anyway, I suspect it will have been a no show, so hopefully all theoretical anyway.

Comment

BBoo/Jen_BR

I'm not fully up to date on which circumstances a bailiff is legally allowed to instruct a locksmith.

If, in this instance, the bailiff has exaggerated their legal powers, and have been stupid enough to write this down and put it through the letter box, then I think the OP would have enough evidence to make a complaint against that bailiff.

Bailiffs aren't Rossendales by any chance?

SnV
                            "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Morning SnV,

From a Mag Court, technically they can force entry, but they won't in this case. There's also the problem with Form 4 complaints that due to their overuse, bailiffs are taking in barristers with them, and the debtor is having huge costs awarded against them. In the last two weeks I've seen costs of £11000 and £17000 awarded against the debtor. The Form 4 should only be used for major, last resort complaints. I know it's wrong, but equally none of us would want the OP put in that position.

Hopefully the revision of bailiff law going through at the moment will bring some sense to many areas.

Comment

Working...
                              X