GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Council charging for care - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Council charging for care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council charging for care

Good morning,
    Please can anyone hep?
    I have a adult son aged 22 he lives in assisted living,having one to one care paid for by social services,he receives full housing benefit to pay for the rent on his flat,this i had to fight to get for a year but now it is in place.
    The council now want to charge him £38 per week towards the cost of his care,he receives DLA and ESA because he cannot work due to his severe disability,the question is can they do this,should i fight it? any advice will be much appreciated.
    thanks in advance twins2.

Re: Council charging for care

How much do these allowances total each week? Have you completed a financial assessment with his care worker?

When my father needed council care we completed a financial assessment and ended up paying about £40 per week in addition to the amount from the carers allowance. We were told that once the assessment had been completed it didn't matter how much care was provided, the payment would be the same. Day's monthly income came to about £1200.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Good morning,
      yes i have,
      the problem is what they think my son should have to live on and what my son needs to live on are not the same.What they dont seem to understand is he is a young man who has a life to live despite his disability.When my son does anything ie; goes on a cineama trip he has to pay for himself and for his carer.I thought DLA was to help him live with his disability not to have to give it to the council to pay a portion of his care.
      He gets ESA and full DLA with low mobility.
      Part of me wants to just give in as it sucks the life out of you dealing with these people,but if i dont hep my son who will?
      I have learnt though experience that they do get it wrong and you have to stand up to them but it is exhausting,
      thanks for listening twins2.

Comment

Hi twins2,
        You might find the guide in the link below useful. (Its produced by AgeUK but covers all circumstances of paying for care)

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN....pdf?dtrk=true

I would definitely appeal the assessment, and stress your son's need for a social life within his capabilities, due to his age etc.

Elsa x

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
          Hi twins2,
          You might find the guide in the link below useful. (Its produced by AgeUK but covers all circumstances of paying for care)

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN....pdf?dtrk=true

I would definitely appeal the assessment, and stress your son's need for a social life within his capabilities, due to his age etc.

Elsa x
          Thank you so much,
          i have had a quick read and now understand were i can go from here,
          regards twins2.

Comment

Let us know how you get on xx

Comment

Originally posted by twins2 View Post
              Thank you so much,
              i have had a quick read and now understand were i can go from here,
              regards twins2.
              Good morning everyone,
              I have recived a reply from the council they want me to send them a list of all his outgoings social and otherwise and they want evidence of the need for thomas to pay for him and his carer to do anything social,I am in the process of providing this evidence,
              thanks twins2.

Comment

We have found that often any increase in one allowance causes a decrease in another. It is unfortunate. The person is an individual and the carers are paid employees. If you are working for anybody and are forced to make a personal expense, you can normally claim it back. My sister and her housemates go on holiday with carers one to one, and must pay for the care, and the carers' holidays and expenses whilst they are away, even though the family has no choice in where they go e.g. Spain, Italy. Egypt. As they are mentally as well as physically handicapped they will seem to appear to 'agree' to anything.

You do not state the disability, but if there is a requirement for 24 hour care, there are some benefits and some charities also help out e.g. Rowntree Foundation. Was your son disabled form birth or through an accident or degenerative disease? If you can speak logically and fluently you are more likely to get better treatment than if you can't

We have found that if you are disabled from birth, you are just left to find your own way unless there is somebody in the school/ institution to put you in contact and your family with the right people. At 16 you are on your own with no help to yourself or to the family. That is because it is expected (don't know why) that you will have already had your help - a bit like career advice, it's there as somebody gets paid, but is rarely of any use. After 16 there is very little direction of any use.

If you are disabled through accident or sudden illness there is more help as you are in touch with professionals, therapists and doctors, and maybe lawyers who can show the way. Sometimes there is no help.

However, with regard to paying for carer and self, there is a scheme in cinemas that will allow the person with disabilities to apply for a card that will allow the disabled person to pay the standard rate, but the carer to go free. Also if he has a student card, e.g. goes to the local college for therapy a day a week, then there are student reductions.

Some theatres and other leisure facilities also give people needing carers to accompany them special prices. You have to ask as there are discounts. e.g. Disneyland Paris gives carers free entry and 1/2 price accommodation with a full paying disabled person. They also allow queue jumping.

On an aside there are pitfalls all round in care. Some carers are better than others, and often work more hours than they are paid for. I recently heard of a group of carers working for an organisation - ie not personal assistants - getting the sack for taking their charges out to the pub, at their charges' request. They got the sack because they had a single alcoholic drink.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X