GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Personal information toolkit - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Personal information toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal information toolkit

Personal information toolkit

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen...ml/access.html

Accessing your information

You have the right to access information that organisations hold about you. Asking them for your information is known as making a ‘subject access request’.
    Who can I make a subject access request to?

You can make a subject access request to any organisation you believe holds information about you. Examples include:
    • banks and credit-card companies;
    • hospitals and doctors;
    • your present or past employer;
    • and mail-order companies.
    How do I make a subject access request?

To make a subject access request, write to or email the organisation you believe holds information about you. If you are not sure who to write to, address your letter or email to the company secretary of the organisation.
    Your letter should include:
    • your full name – also give any names you used to be known by, such as a maiden name;
    • your full address, including your postcode;
    • any information you think the organisation will need to find your information and check that you are who you say you are. For example your employer may need your payroll number, and a hospital may need your NHS number;
    • it is also advisable to refer to the Data Protection Act.
    It is a good idea to send your request by recorded delivery. Keep a copy of the letter and any further letters you send or receive. The organisation may ask for a fee, which is normally no more than £10. However, they may charge you more for certain types of information, such as health records. They may also ask for more information to check that you are who you say you are.
    Once you have provided all the relevant information and fee, the organisation must reply within 40 days.
    The reply should include:
    • a copy of all the information they hold about you;
    • details of:
      • why your information is processed; and
      • the types of organisations it may be passed on to.
    The information may be sent to you as a computer print-out, in a letter or on a form. You should be able to understand the information, and any codes should be explained. You can also obtain a copy of your credit file. For more information on this, visit our website www.ico.gov.uk or phone 08453 091 091 to request a free copy of ‘Credit explained’.
    What information can’t I see?

Some information on your record may be held back, for example if:
    • it could identify someone else and that person objects to being identifed;
    • or you are the subject of a criminal investigation.
    Who do I contact if I have difficulty getting my information?

If you do not receive a reply to your request within 40 days, you should send the organisation a reminder by recorded delivery (again, keep a copy).
    If you still don’t receive a reply, visit our website www.ico.gov.uk or contact our helpline on 08456 306060 for advice on what to do next.

Re: Personal information toolkit

Hi,

I have sent a SAR to a company. They have to reply in 40 days but i don't know if it's 40 days from the date on the SAR letter or 40 days from the day when the letter was received and signed for according to the Royal Mail site.

Comment

It's 40 days from average date of receipt so you add 2 days to it which covers postage of request.

However few companies respond in this timeframe. Send the SAR chaser from our templates if it hits 42 days and no response. Usually the receiving firm will acknowledge a SAR. Have you heard anything back? Proof of delivery? Cheque cashed? Anything at all ??
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for replying so quickly, I have checked the Royal Mail site and it's been delivered. It's not been 40 days yet, I just want to find out because Christmas got on the way.

I didn't send a cheque, it was a Postal Order. Is there a way to find out if it was cashed?

Comment

Originally posted by yellowInk View Post
          Thanks for replying so quickly, I have checked the Royal Mail site and it's been delivered. It's not been 40 days yet, I just want to find out because Christmas got on the way.

I didn't send a cheque, it was a Postal Order. Is there a way to find out if it was cashed?
          With all the bank holidays give it 43 days since date of receipt according to track n trace.

Regards postal order; don't worry about that. You have proof of delivery so that's fine.

When was it signed for/delivered and which firm did you SAR? Is this for a reclaim?
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the very quick replies, it was sent just before Christmas and signed on the 2nd of Jan.

I guess the deadline would be mid-Feb.
            Last edited by yellowInk; 5 January 2013, 13:21. Reason: Added line

Comment

13th Feb is the deadline.

How come you're hiding your IP from us? Are you aware you're connecting to us through an IP Proxy?

Comment

Working...
              X