GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Advice re Santander and CRA - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice re Santander and CRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice re Santander and CRA

This is on behalf of someone else, and appears strange to me.

Credit file was requested and Santander had logged an alias - using maiden name, but married title. The person hasnt used their maiden name for nearly 40 years. Sent letter off to Sant. and get the following response.

"The recording of previous names is of benefit to consumers and to lenders, as by having other naem information on file it may assist in the identification of the applicant, and also where a credit history in a former name exists that information may assist the outcome of an application. Therefore, accurate alias information is retained indefinately on your credit file as it remains relevant and useful information."

No application (knowingly) has been made in this name, Mrs X X as opposed to Miss X X. As the surname has not been used for such a length of time, then I cant see how it helps to identify the applicant, further, there is no previous history with this name and title. While I can appreciate the last sentence, as no credit has been applied for with Mrs (maiden name), surely it can be removed?

"As the alias on your credit file relates to your maiden name, there is no reason from your point of view as a consumer or ours as a lender for it to be removed, nor any benefit. Its mere presence would not have an adverse effect on any future applications you may make."

I can see one good point to make - it could (potentially) show a possible attempt of fraud or account takeover etc etc. It's presence could well have an effect, as it potentiailly shows an application for credit in a diffferent name - so possibly the hiding of a previous bad history. They have also refused to remove the information.

It may be being a bit OTT here, but surely this cannot be fully correct? Would every married woman in the country have the same problem (though it should be Miss X X and not Mrs X Y) - presumably it IS the case, then to pick on say, Joan Collins (and assuming she was not famous) then her file would state also known as U, also known as V also known as ...... assume you get the picture!
    Last edited by oscar; 13 February 2012, 19:40.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Advice re Santander and CRA

Equifax United Kingdom - Frequently Asked Questions

'Forever' is a long time......
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

shoot me down guys but surely your friend never gave anyone permission to report anything to anyone in her maiden name, cos no one would have thought to ask 40 years ago...................

Comment

As a woman when you apply for things you have the quesstions "have you ever been known as another name" Same with Equifax they ask this question.

Comment

Not just women Jen.

Thanks Riz. As you say forever is a long time. But no one in their right mind (and certainly not this person) would put that have been known by their married title and FORMER surname.

Doesnt make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
            As you say forever is a long time. But no one in their right mind (and certainly not this person) would put that have been known by their married title and FORMER surname.

Doesnt make sense.
            They might, if they'd been married and divorced, considered "Miss" indicated prim spinsterhood and that "Ms" is an awful American import.

Santander is probably little different from other banks, as they seem to have a culture where compliance with the wishes of the data subject or even with the Data Protection Act 1998 is purely optional.

Would those jerks record an 'alias' if Glen had been chopped and stitched to become Glenda?

Comment

Working...
            X