GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Parking Fine -- not me :( - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parking Fine -- not me :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Fine -- not me :(

Hi just wondering if someone could clarify...

So I bought a car for my son its in my name and we just transferred it to his. However over xmas he got a fine for parking 10 min over his Pay and display ticket...

this was issued by Chipside Lancashire which is part of the County Council so I am aware that this is legit sadly.

Now, I didn't find out about the ticket until the letter came through the post.

Is there anything I can do because I don't own the car now... but I wasn't even driving it at the time?

Re: Parking Fine -- not me

Yea grass him up
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Going back a few years I got a ticket..I wrote to them saying that my cousin was the driver who was visiting from abroad...& if they would like his address they wrote back saying no further action....that was Bradford council.
      Good luck
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

lol thanks they told me unless ive got bill of sale (to my son wtf) the dvla said car was mine I explained I transferred ownership they don't care

Comment

Tell em it's unenforceable
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
            lol thanks they told me unless ive got bill of sale (to my son wtf) the dvla said car was mine I explained I transferred ownership they don't care
            My son got a letter (from a bailif) recently about a parking fine that he had - it has already been to court (I didn't know about it until I saw the letter). Anyway, they threatened to come and take his car away, but he had already transferred the car to my OH and the paperwork was sent off to the DVLA prior to the letter dropping on the door mat. Are you saying they can still take the car?

Comment

Legitimate parking fines should always be paid as swiftly as possible, preferably while the 50% discount is still valid.

After this time there is only one way 99% of these will go, and that is in favour of the council. The fine will fairly rapidly go up and up and you will end up with bailiffs on your back.

They can and will tow your car, impound it and charge you a ridiculous daily sum which will swiftly rise to more than the car is worth. Your car will then end up either at the auctions or as a cube of metal coming out of the crusher.

It's much easier all round to pay it (then murder your son!)

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
                Legitimate parking fines should always be paid as swiftly as possible, preferably while the 50% discount is still valid.

After this time there is only one way 99% of these will go, and that is in favour of the council. The fine will fairly rapidly go up and up and you will end up with bailiffs on your back.

They can and will tow your car, impound it and charge you a ridiculous daily sum which will swiftly rise to more than the car is worth. Your car will then end up either at the auctions or as a cube of metal coming out of the crusher.

It's much easier all round to pay it (then murder your son!)
                Don't worry I have already near murdered him. I used to pay his parking fines immediately when I was in a different position to avoid the increases and then get the money back off him. He is now paying this latest fine back weekly to the bailiff company. But I'm a little worried that he will miss a payment and they will come and take the car (which is no longer his). So my question was can they still take the car should that happen? The paperwork, (log book) was sent off to the DVLA weeks ago. I am going to get him to write a letter to them (the bailiffs) confirming the agreement with them to pay back what is now owed, but also letting them know that he no longer owns the car. Can they still take the car? Thanks

Comment

Definitive answer - I don't know.

Reasoned answer:

Here's my reasoning for saying I suspect they can't still take the car.

Your son got a fine. The fine was against him and NOT the car. He's now sold the car, but the fine remains against him, not the car.

Bailiffs are instructed - ultimately, they can enforce by levying against, and ultimately removing HIS property. The car is not his.

I'd therefore be pretty certain they can't take it now.

Comment

Cheers - appreciated. I'll get a letter sent asap as unless he tells them, I presume they would just take it without further notice should he miss a payment!

Comment

Yes - they're likely to take first and ask later.

If you're worried, it might be worth completing a Statutory Declaration (costs about £10 down any High Street solicitors):

To: Whom it may concern.

I: Mrs. Betty Smith

Of: 68 Dormer Avenue, Tamworth, Staffs B77 3LZ

Do solemnly and sincerely declare that:
                      I live at the above property with my husband, Mr John Smith and my daughter; Miss Claire Smith.

The purpose of this Statutory Declaration is to confirm that all of the items listed on the attached Schedule (One) are all owned by me and were acquired from my own funds.

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the provisions of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835. The

Signature:

Declared at:
                      Last edited by BBoo; 27 January 2012, 15:39.

Comment

Working...
                      X