GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script combi boiler bust - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

combi boiler bust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• combi boiler bust

When we rearranged the house to acomodate Mr I's failing health we had to put in a new heating system. This was completed in May 2010. We were fortunate to qualify for a disabled facilities grant to cover the work. The builder contracted the plumbing work to a local, reputable plumber, and a new combi-boiler was installed.
    On Sunday the heat exchanger was pronounced defunct and the boiler unsafe by a qulified plumber.
    The firm who made it were unsympathetic and metaphorically shrugged their shoulders. Should a boiler last more than 2and a half years? Was it fit for purpose? I have no complaint with the builder or the plumber, would thesale of goods act cover this? As it was paid for by a DFG would that complicate things or not? I would be grateful for advice. I have arranged for a replacement boiler of a different make to be installed this week as it is too cold to wait and argue with the original maker.

Re: combi boiler bust

God yes it should last longer than that - I would consider a report/complaint to Gas safe as well. You will have statutory consumer rights here too....
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I would write a letter of complaint to the manufactuer, highlighting what you have said - it should have lasted longer than 2.5 years and was it fit for purpose etc. Send them a copy of the condemnation report.

I would also state that should you not recieve a satisfactory response, that you will escalate the matter as you see fit.

If they fob you off again, more fool them, but better to have a paper trail for things like this.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Is there not a regulation E>U> 6 YEARS on electrical units? Sogat or something like that.?
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

It may we be the fault of the person that installed the boiler in the first place, combi's a funny things and if the are not set up right , clean system , right inhibitors etc they can get knackered very quickly.

Comment

we just had a new combi installed, had 5 years manufactuer warrenty as standard, are you sure your not covered for a replacement heat exchanger?

Comment

I would also inform the council that paid for the disabled facilities grant as they can lean on them too as they did for me when the shower in my wet room packed up due to a non functioning switch.

Comment

Thanks all, will write formally, and inform that I am also writing to Gassafe, not sure about sogat TTC, can you give some more info?. I'll ask plumber not to scrap the boiler in case anyone wants to come and see it, and get a formal report from him too.

Comment

Was it the main heat exchanger, ie water jacket, or the plate heat exchanger, that failed, was the system losing pressure, that is the pressure dropped to nil, or was it dripping due to failed washers on plate to plate? Most unusual for the main heat exchanger to fail that soon, unless a new boiler is put onto an old corroded system without flushing and inhibitors added. I would have wanted a second opinion. If the plate heat exchanger was leaking from washers, very common, that is easily fixed, parts less than £2.00, labour maybe £50-£60 +vat. Nothing to do with Gas Safe! All to do with either water pressure too high causing washer failure, or lack of inhibitors causing corrosion.

Comment

Enforcer, no, the pressure kept dropping and the plumber had already changed washer, previous day, (started Thurs, Visit Fri, Visit Sat, Final decision Mon.) Sorry, should have specified.Trouble is I know nowt about boilers, and was bl@@dy frozen. The plumber has done work for me several times before so I trusted him.

Comment

If the pressure kept dropping, 2 things to look for, expansion vessel failed, would have been dripping outside from 15mm discharge pipe, or, main heat exchanger leaking. Most manufacturers have a 5 year warranty on the heat exchanger. Provided that the system was cleansed and had inhibitors added on commissioning. Look for a sticker on the boiler showing Fernox Sentinel or other inhibitor. Without this you would not have a warranty, you the have a come back on the installer! He should have done this.

Comment

Thanks enforcer, so when they said out of warranty they might have been wrong? Butnow I have installed a different make of boiler I could have shot myself in the foot, booger!

Comment

Gas safe would be able to confirm if the boiler was fitted correctly to the manufacturers requirements.

In terms of a warranty - it can be through the boiler manufacturer or the company that installed it. But only with the manufacturer if it was correctly registered with them to activate the warranty.

You can ask Gas Safe for a free inspection if you are not sure if it was installed correctly - then they can instruct the installer to carry out remedial work at their own cost to bring the boiler up to correct standards.

Hope it works out for you!!

Comment

Thanks, I'm awaiting reply from manufacturer. Fingers crossed

Comment

Originally posted by mrsinvisible View Post
                              Thanks, I'm awaiting reply from manufacturer. Fingers crossed
                              quick question - was it serviced by a gas safe engineer at any time after installation?

Comment

Working...
                              X