GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Company refusal to continue call as I was recording it!!! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Company refusal to continue call as I was recording it!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company refusal to continue call as I was recording it!!!

Hi All

Just thought you would like this one! I have for several years now recorded my phone conversations with customer call centres as they are typically in a habit of lying and then covering their tracks.

I have been in a dispute with my internet provider as I have been getting inconsistent service. I've now spoken to them several times to be told there is a fault in the area which they are looking at and it will be fixed 'over the next few days'.

Today I was put through to a member of their tech team who told me that there are no fault in my area and have not been for some time.

When I explained that her colleagues had said otherwise, she stated that this was not true and that her colleagues had told me the complete opposite (that there were no faults).

I pointed out this was not the case. The woman was insistent and told me that I had never been told that there was a fault in our area.

When I told her this wasn't true, and that I recorded all my phone conversations for record keeping, and could prove what they had told me she stated that I needed her permission to record the call and would not continue the call.

I pointed out that the provisions of regulatory powers act 2000 does not prohibit individuals from recording their own conversations provided that it is for their own use and not divulged to a 3rd party.

She continued to state I needed her permission, to which I also responded this was implied anyway as her company state at the beginning of the call that all calls are recorded 'for training and quality' purposes.

She refused to continue the call and hung up!

So I now have lodged a formal complaint to the company on this point as it was obvious that they hated being caught out!

Wonder if anyone else has come across this
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Company refusal to continue call as I was recording it!!!

A common argument but i've yet to see anyone quote the law which is broken.

M1

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
      A common argument but i've yet to see anyone quote the law which is broken.

M1
      Indeed M1, perhaps thats because there isn't one!
      "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Heard it numerous times. They can refuse to continue, but then just ask them to put everything in writing as you would like a record to which you can refer to.

Comment

ha ha it's different when they are being recorded

Comment

i record all calls, i usually start with "before we continue this call i must notify you that this call is being recorded for evidential purposes" i usually get lovely people after that who are very willing to help XD

Comment

There is no need to tell them anything as far as i am concerned. No point stopping them digging a hole.

M1

Comment

a supervisor hung up on me when I told her I was recording, telling me it was against the law,
                I complained (virgin media) I received a letter from supervisor saying sorry, £25 off my bill and big sorry from virgin media team.
                true call!!!

kuma
                Do you think I look like Hitler?

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
                  There is no need to tell them anything as far as i am concerned. No point stopping them digging a hole.
                  Exactly - legally you're entitled to record your conversations as long as its for your own purposes and they are not divulged to a 3rd party.

I do this to ensure that my recollection of conversations with companies is accurate as I have repeatedly been fobbed off and lied to and want evidence that this happens.

It seems perfectly acceptable now for company employees to lie to their customers and this is the only way to give yourself protection, it cannot be co-incidence that when you ask for a companies own recordings of conversations that they mysteriously go missing, or they only record a percentage of calls, when the conversation is stacked against them........

Originally posted by kuma View Post
                  a supervisor hung up on me when I told her I was recording, telling me it was against the law,
                  I complained (virgin media) I received a letter from supervisor saying sorry, £25 off my bill and big sorry from virgin media team.
                  true call!!!
                  Hahaha - I hope you recorded that too

Comment

SnV i take it you are referring to the ISP with two characters here? Notorious for blatant lies.
                    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Working...
                    X