GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Starting up a website - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting up a website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting up a website

Hi all,

I'd like to set up my own website, but I'm not really sure how to go about it.

I've played around with software before, and I know a few organisations where I'd be able to use it for free, as I know it costs a few hundred to buy.

So how do I go about buying the domain name, and how do you go from that to uploading content?

As I'm not techie at all this thread may be very long by the time I've finished with simple questions after (if) people respond...

Re: Starting up a website

Hi Ames, Confused has asked this too. Please click on link below

building a website - allaboutFORUMS

Just moving your thread too.

Best wishes
    If...x
    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Ooops sorry I should have looked harder. Thanks for the move.

Comment

No worries, wish I could help but.....not computer literate me!!
        "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Hi Ames,
          There are numerous ways to set up a website, just depends on your level of expertise, and you do learn as you go along. (Some of my early sites from years ago would make me cringe now, LOL).
          There's a lot of mystery surrounding domain names and setting up your own, but it's quite simple really.
          Don't buy an existing name - it can cost you an arm and a leg. Unfortunately a lot of companies buy up many obvious first level names in order to resell them.
          Instead, look around for a good webhosting company that includes a free domain name in with the package. For a startup site you'd probably be looking at paying no more than £5 per month. Most hosting companies also provide "wysiwyg" (what you see is what you get)web building facilities and templates to use online, so you can experiment and see your input as it happens.
          Alternatively you can base your site on a cmc (content management system) platform such as wordpress, a free site management framework which allows you to run everything from a control panel once it's installed in your web space. Loads of templates and addons are freely available, with excellent documentation, regular security updates and support forums. I use wordpress now..I love it!

If you want to use software installed on your computer to build the site, as you say the proprietory ones are phenomenally expensive. However there are some cheaper versions around. Coffee Cup do a whole range of web building apps, either very cheap or free.
          If you build the site on your pc, then in order to get it online you need your ftp details from your web host, which will include a user name and password.
          Say your domain name is amesfirstwebsite.co.uk, then you'd type ftp://amesfirstwebsite.co.uk into your browser. You'd then get a popup asking for name/password before you can enter what's called the root of your domain. This is where you upload your files.
          There are various ftp programmes available, to automate uploads, or you can drag and drop in Internet Explorer.
          Some hosts provide better control of your webspace than others, by providing management options such as "C Panel" where you can easily install, create databases etc.
          Finally, each domain type is priced differently, with co.uk usually being the cheapest. If you don't get a free one in with your package they are charged annually. If you choose a new, unregistered domain there is no purchase price as such, just the annual charge in advance. You shouldn't pay more than £3 a year for co.uk. Others such as .org, .com etc are more expensive, but shouldn't be more than £10 a year.
          Shop around, check out domain hosts and see who offers most facilities and freebies.

kind regards,

Shepherdess x
          Last edited by Undercover Elsa; 18 July 2011, 09:05.

Comment

The other thing is to consider using "Microsoft Publisher". If the site is in itself not too complex for starters, there is already "built in" all the relevant html conversions. I only found out by accident after buying one of those early learning type books on Publisher.

The thing we did was access our local authority "Cyberden" through the enterprise agency and received intially free training on website building using "Dreamweaver" and then follow up training was very cheap £25 per half day.

Picked up a very cheap secondhand copy of a down level "Dreamweaver" for a few pounds and registered. Now doing their tutorials to brush up again.

Just a few ideas
            regards
            Garlok

Comment

As per my other thread, you can if all else fails speak to GBBO ---> Welcome to Getting British Business Online
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Cool, thanks everyone.

I think it's Dreamweaver I've had a play around with. As I said, I can get access to the publishing software through various community resource centres, so that side's sorte.

It wouldn't be a business, it's just for me to publicise a couple of groups I run, and to put my writing online. I hadn't thought about applying for funding, but as the groups are considered community groups I might be able to get a bit here and there.

The domain name I want is my name - as there's only two of us in the world with that name and spelling it should be pretty cheap, and available.

So from the replies, I need to look for a web hosting company, sign up and get the domain name registered, then I'm good to go?

How do I find web hosting companies, just google?

Thanks again for all the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Ames View Post
                  Cool, thanks everyone.

I think it's Dreamweaver I've had a play around with. As I said, I can get access to the publishing software through various community resource centres, so that side's sorte.

It wouldn't be a business, it's just for me to publicise a couple of groups I run, and to put my writing online. I hadn't thought about applying for funding, but as the groups are considered community groups I might be able to get a bit here and there.

The domain name I want is my name - as there's only two of us in the world with that name and spelling it should be pretty cheap, and available.

So from the replies, I need to look for a web hosting company, sign up and get the domain name registered, then I'm good to go?

I use uk cheapest (for domain names only) - they are pretty damn good but for hosting accounts with a free domain, look at godaddy or the like.....

Or speak to Steve (our forum manager) - he can provide server space for the right price
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Ames View Post
                    Cool, thanks everyone.

pop a pm across.
                    If you are going to use dreamweaver then its even easier as you can ftp straight up from it, and keep the 2 synchronised.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieb View Post
                      pop a pm across.
                      If you are going to use dreamweaver then its even easier as you can ftp straight up from it, and keep the 2 synchronised.
                      wanna teach me at the same time - I still use html reader (ie frontpage) to get the display then drop into page as code.

However dreamweaver linked to ftp sounds good so if you send ames a guide, send me one too please

Comment

We used "namesco" for our webhosting. They do a whole range of packages and when we did the comparisons January time this year, they offered the best values we thought. And they sorted out a real mess left by our previous hosting service over the domain names we have.

Might be worth having a look at Adobe website as they had manuals on line to download for their Dreamweaver/CS5 packages which are useful, plus I did note some free student type packages as well about April time.

regards
                        Garlok

Comment

We're actually going to be offering webhosting and site building services in the near future..... hopefully!

Watch this space for one of the cheapest (but best) Hosting companies to hit the markets! Yea right, but you know what I mean right....?

Comment

Working...
                          X