GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script PPTP vs open VPN - advantages and disadvantages - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PPTP vs open VPN - advantages and disadvantages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPTP vs open VPN - advantages and disadvantages

But I like stuffing

BTW can anyone tell me the difference between PPTP and open VPN ?

Re: CAG becoming libellous by nature...

Forget vpn's etc, grab yourself a little download called Tor Tor Project: Anonymity Online it's a freebie

It also sticks firefox on yer pc as the browser to use.

It will bounce you around the world a few times (just like in those hacker type films) and you are certainly anonymous if you use it.

Everyone who trawls the Deepweb uses it, heading into nerd territory now so will shut up

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
      But I like stuffing

BTW can anyone tell me the difference between PPTP and open VPN ?
      Obviously not Jon

Comment

PPTP VPN Accounts Advantages:
        1.) Works on Mobile Devices (PPTP & L2TP)

Iphone, Ipod Touch, Android, and Windows Mobile are just a few of the devices that work natively with PPTP. It's a very easy setup, just a Host Name, Login and Password in the network settings. With your PPTP settings you can use any computer around the world to connect, even computers in Internet Café's.

1.) Speed

Usually PPTP / L2TP / SSTP offers a faster connection than a OpenVPN SSL VPN.

1.) 3 Methods to Connect

StrongVPN service offers 3 methods to connect with on our PPTP type accounts. PPTP / L2TP and SSTP. Depending on your needs you might fight one faster than the other, usually PPTP is the fastest of the 3. The same login and password will allow you to connect to all three, L2TP would require one additional piece of information called the "Secure Key" which you place into the settings.
        (Please note all of our PPTP packages can connect over L2TP and SSTP. For a more technical explanation of these types of connections you can review this Microsoft Technet Article )

PPTP VPN Accounts Disadvantages:
        1.) Unfortunately when a PPTP connection has a problem communicating with the VPN server, it will drop the connection. This will exposé your computer to the Internet off the VPN. For some customers this is unacceptable, we do have software that will drop your Internet until you can make another connection to the VPN server. We do have a VPN Blocker software that will prevent this from happening though -

2.) Stability problems on DD-WRT firmware (PPTP Only)

Customers looking to have their local network on one single VPN account can load their PPTP account on a router that supports DD-WRT. This free firmware upgrade allows you to take a single VPN account and connect it through the local router interface. This will allow your local network to share a single VPN connection. Unfortunately DD-WRT does not always work well on routers with PPTP accounts. The developers of DD-WRT are making improvements every month though, and it should be noted that there are customers that have PPTP accounts on DD-WRT routers with no problems. Your mileage may vary! If you must have router with PPTP, you can also try the popular Tomato firmware.

3.) Fixed Ports

If you are in a restricted area where the ISP or Government has been known to block ports or protocols, and they block the fixed set ports that PPTP - L2TP or SSTP run on, then the VPN will be blocked. When we have customers with this problem, we advise them to use an OpenVPN package since on ours there is the ability to adjust Ports, Protocol, and even Encryption level.

OpenVPN VPN Accounts Advantages:
        1.) Works very well with DD-WRT routers

Customers looking to have their local network on one single VPN account will need to have a OpenVPN account and a router that supports DD-WRT. This free firmware upgrade allows you to take a single VPN account and connect it through the local router interface. This will allow your local network to share a single VPN connection.
        We have supported many customers through their modification and the good news is, it works well.

2.) Stronger Encryption

What does this mean to you? Well some customers consider the more encryption the better, it would also be fair to say that it's possible with PPTP for someone to get your password while connecting. Remember we said possible not probable.

3.) No drop of packets (*when using TCP)

If you should lose connection, you won't be thrown back on the internet. This maybe important to you.

4.) Allows you access to more servers

With our Open VPN accounts you have access to all of our servers, PPTP and OpenVPN. At any time if you want a server that is offering only PPTP accounts, you can simply request it via our customer area. This means that our OpenVPN accounts are also PPTP if you need them to be. Simply login to your customer area and choose the PPTP server of choice, and a login and pass will be sent to you.

5.) Port Modification and Protocol Modification Ability

If for some reason the standard configuration of our OpenVPN accounts still find you unable to connect. Our expert team can provide a custom configuration by changing the Ports or Protocol that your VPN service connects with Not sure what all that means? No problem we can login and do these changes for you remotely.

OpenVPN Disadvantages:
        1.) Requires Software

OpenVPN uses a software and a group of files to authenticate you to the VPN server. The software we use is open source and very compatible, but as with any software depending on your system it could cause problems. The good news is we see very little problems with OpenVPN software as a whole, maybe 1 system out of 100 has an issue with it if that.

2.) Some consider it complex

It's a fairly simple installation process but depending on your OS and your level of knowledge you might consider it complex. The good news is we offer 24 hour live help, and we can even install it for you remotely in under 5 minutes. On Windows computers it's basically loading the software and putting our files into your cprogram files\openvpn\config folder, and then connecting. On a Mac, you use either Tunnelblick or Viscosity software that we provide. We do have our setup pages here that explain how to do installation for all VPN account types

Well you did ask!

Comment

Bet he now regrets asking
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
            Forget vpn's etc, grab yourself a little download called Tor Tor Project: Anonymity Online it's a freebie

It also sticks firefox on yer pc as the browser to use.

It will bounce you around the world a few times (just like in those hacker type films) and you are certainly anonymous if you use it.

Everyone who trawls the Deepweb uses it, heading into nerd territory now so will shut up
            Not completely annonymous on a Windows Platform. "We have our ways" (in a nazi accent)

Linux Os for tottal annonymous surfing. (or at least linux on VMWare)
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
              Bet he now regrets asking
              That'l teach him

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                Will take a bit of digesting but very useful info Vint!
                Don't think for one min I understand it!

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                  Not completely annonymous on a Windows Platform. "We have our ways" (in a nazi accent)

Wasn't he in Peanuts?

Comment

I think we are getting away from the OP here, but OpenVPN has a much stronger encryption than PPTP is the simple answer.
                    Oh and FF is not as secure as some others.
                    Last edited by vossy; 17 July 2012, 17:48.

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
                      I think we are getting away from the OP here, but OpenVPN has a much stronger encryption than PPTP is the simple answer.
                      Oh and FF is not as secure as some others.
                      Quite right Vossy. These posts should be moved to another thread

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post

Been playing about with Linux Mint, very nice indeed

Sometimes being anon on the internet is a must.

Not into the whole Mitnick thing of getting into Gov. systems, however there are a few private company systems whose security, is how can I put it, a bit lax compared to what you would expect it to be.

Comment

Re: PPTP vs open VPN - advantages and disadvantages

I have a machine running Ubuntu, very quick and no av or firweall. Not for everyone but very good especially on an older machine

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                            Agreed 100%

I'm onto it!
                            So it was you was it!
                            I go out to do a bit of shoplifting shopping , come back and thought the world had been taken over by IMS

Bastards all of them

Oh and as if my mind wasn't screwed enough....it really is now.

Comment

Re: PPTP vs open VPN - advantages and disadvantages

So my next question to all you wizz kids is...can you be tracked by pc as opposed to IP address?
                              i.e if you use a VPN can someone still identify the windows pc that is using it?

Comment

Working...
                              X