GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script printer ink - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

printer ink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• printer ink

Saying it's out when it's not on a canon MG5150..

Managed to refill (cos I dumbo : really thought it was out)....with a Just refill kit but it went everywhere cos it was still half full

So now this am (after leaving it overnight) it says it's out again. I know full well it's not!!! So finally I manage to override by pressing the OK button...

Considering the price of these printers you'd have thought they'd have gotten their act together

Just really glad I had the just refill kit and not like forked out for cartridges

SC

Re: printer ink

I find that most printers will say they are empty even though they have some level of ink left in the cartridges.

There are a couple of things you can do with your printer:

1) buy a chip resetter (expensive option)
    2) only replace with proper cartridges and accept that there will be some ink left (again a fairly expensive option!)
    3) do the top ups that you are doing, carefully, and disable the ink monitor

Instructions on how to disable the ink monitor, should you decide to, are here

http://www.inkbank.com.au/webcontent20.htm
    If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Thanks.

I did that with a prayer first thing (just pressed the OK button when it said it was out of ink)....

Any idea why the 'spare' strange cartridge is now complaining? (like saying it's getting low on ink?) Even though I've not reset that?

SC

Comment

Sorry SC, I don't own the same printer as you, so have no idea?

When you disable the ink monitor, it shouldn't warn you at all when the ink has run out, hence you have to keep your eye on it?!?

Hope you sort it x
        If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Nope it's just disabled it on the ones that were causing the prob (the ones that had run out)...I have 5 separate ink cartridges in mine...

Does that make sense?

SC

Comment

Majority Epson Printers have a Counter on there mother board..........SO-After so many prints (2000 OR SO?), it'll flash up to say 'Printer require servicing - A: BIN THE PRINTER, unless you can overide the Printer clock......

Cheap Ink cartridges: Ebay (But check Printer and Ink price before buying)....
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Somtime's cheaper to buy a new printer............
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Indeed I2D this is a scam that needs sorting out too many good printers have been binned because there cartridges are too expensive and it cheaper to replace the printer.

I never buy ink over the counter and always search the net for the cheapest deal and I always use re-manufactured cartridges from third party companies.

The printer manufacturer will of course say not to use these and gives reasons why, but that is all twaddle I have never had an issue with re-manufactured and the ink quality is good enough for what I use it for.

Comment

Originally posted by 5corpio View Post
                  Majority Epson Printers have a Counter on there mother board..........SO-After so many prints (2000 OR SO?), it'll flash up to say 'Printer require servicing - A: BIN THE PRINTER, unless you can overide the Printer clock......

Cheap Ink cartridges: Ebay (But check Printer and Ink price before buying)....

Epson Printers can be over ridden I had the same error some time ago printer lasted another 12 or so months after saying it needed a service

google SSC Service utility for epson

no good mind for SC as printer is a cannon..

dont set me off on Lexmark printers though...OH had one before we met shopped for replacement carts cost more than the bloody printer did when she 1st bought it!!!
                  Last edited by philnicandamy; 10 December 2011, 19:31.

Comment

Yeah precisely LOL

Like I said think it's sorted

Think my ink was £7 including all the kit (drill, syringe, bungs etc) from amazon....and it had about 150ml of ink ...

Now how many epson cartridges would you get for that!!! At least 20 or 30

Cheaper by far ..Or try CISS (though not tried them myself too expensive)

Also believe you can get Ink from Lidls' (or could) from time to time so maybe worth keeping an eye out for

SC

Comment

I always thought that when you install a new cartridge you need to callibrate (sp) the printer and this tells it the type and volume of ink thus alleviates the problem you're explaining....

However I could be wrong
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I thought so too..but I must be behind the times...

it wouldn't even run a test page before I overrided it

E

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          I always thought that when you install a new cartridge you need to callibrate (sp) the printer and this tells it the type and volume of ink thus alleviates the problem you're explaining....

However I could be wrong

You do normally..with epsons its calibrate the print head etc etc etc etc

Comment

so what is this? How to fix a dodgy epson printer LOL

Maybe we should make it sticky? Printer questions come up ALL the time on the 'other' forum

And best printers too? epsons or canons are currently in the running

Was well miffed when about 10 days after buying my canon I found it half price in staples (still with all the ink)

Preferences to wire to to wireless?

Daren't wireless anything in this place bar the remote since Mr HND downstairs hacked into my wifi the other month

SC

Comment

Whoa guys,

Just a couple of little tips here. Firstly Canons and most other printers work on the "bubble jet" type head which sprays (very simply) a measured amount of ink through a number of fine holes. Epson use a different technique which is piezo electric based and from a purely engineering point of view is far better, simpler and elegant solution.

Other than on the HPs we have, we have moved over to bulk ink supply systems. At the moment we use four colour printers and the system, heads, tubes, etc costs about £23. A lot of the CSS suppliers will send them full of standard ink as well. each bottle holds about 10 to twelve OEM cartridge worth of ink. Running costs, well the last Epson cartridges we bought cost £14.99 each on the business account from Staples. Each cartridge contains 6cc of usable ink. We found a supplier (now not in the market as such called BuyTech) where we were buying 125cc of ink for the bulk supply at 79pence yes 79 pence!!! Each of those bottles giuves about two fills of the bulk system So we reduced each Epson cost from a staggering £59.96 per fill to an equivalent 26 PENCE per fill. Sadly that company has now pulled out as I said but have found a guy in Scotland who supplies at £2.39 for 150cc of ink, still a pretty heavy cost saving. It doesn't take long to recover the bulk system costs, less than one set of cartridges.

We also use a special ink on another printer for a hot press process I use in modified form. From the normal supplier each cartridge (6cc) is now £54 (bloody scary). Fitted up with bulk system and now buy inks which are used in the fabric and architectural industries for £15.99 per 125cc.

By the way Lexmark used to be the printer division of IBM many moons ago when they still made hardware and yes they are darned expensive to run.

Hope that helps people look at their costs a bit.

regards
                              Garlok
                              Last edited by garlok; 11 December 2011, 12:54.

Comment

Working...
                              X