GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script 200GB Free Cloud Storage - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

200GB Free Cloud Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200GB Free Cloud Storage

I'm sure that we all have digital files which are important to us. They may be wedding photographs, scans of important paperwork, video footage, or, as in my case, music files which could never be replaced.

Back up is critical. In the last 18 months, I have had two hard drives crash completely without the slightest warning. One minute they're working perfectly, the next, they're useless. However, I suffered no file loss, because every file I have is backed up at least four times.

Even that is not enough. What if you came home one day to find that your home had been entirely gutted by fire, or that burglars had cleaned out everything, including the carpets (that's hairy lino, for those who live in Yorkshire)? It wouldn't matter how many back-ups you had, because you'd have exactly that number minus itself left.

It is vital to have off-site back up as well. If you have friends or family members, it makes sense to store a copy of each other's back up drives as insurance against the above disaster scenarios. What, though, are those of us who are all alone in the world supposed to do?

I've found a partial answer. It isn't enough to store over 1TB of files, which is what would be needed to save my entire music collection, but it is at least enough to safeguard the most important files. If you take advantage of the free packages offered by cloud providers, you can reach at least 180GB of free online storage. Here, I have only included the services which I personally use. There are others, so you could go higher than 200GB if you needed to.

Amazon Cloud – 5GB Free Storage

This is the obvious one to start with, as most people will probably already have it. If you have an Amazon account, and I strongly suggest that you do as my experience tells me that they are unparalleled for customer service, then you will already have 5GB of storage. Just log in and start using it.

Box.com – 10GB Free Storage

This one has a better interface than Amazon, and twice as much storage space. The one negative feature is that there is a file size limit of 250MB, which will completely thwart video enthusiasts. If you have smaller files, you can create zip files which are just under 250MB and upload those. That is what I have done.

Copy.com – 15GB Free Storage

This is the best service, all round. It has the best interface, there are no file size limits, and the uploads seem to be faster than most. You get 15GB with this one, and there are no downsides that I know of.

Mega.co.nz – 50GB Free Storage

This one is potentially even better than Copy, if they can iron out a few bugs. You get a massive 50GB, there are no restrictions or requirements, and no file size limits. Upload speeds are roughly the same as Copy, based on my tests. The only negative is such an obsession with security that they don't retain passwords. If the user loses their password, the files are lost. What is worse, some people have tried to log in with their correct password and not gained access. If that happens there is nothing which can be done to retrieve the files. Mega need to address this and do something about it, because it is ruining what is otherwise an excellent service. I've not had any problems personally with gaining access.

Solidfiles.com – 50GB Free Storage

This one is based in Sweden, and also gives you a massive 50GB. There is a file size limit of 500MB, which will infuriate video enthusiasts but should be manageable for anyone else. The one requirement is that you need to log in every 90 days to prevent the files from being deleted, as they don't want dormant user accounts wasting space. If you have files which you update regularly, like your photography collection, it would be a good idea to store those in Solidfiles so you automatically keep resetting the clock. That is what I do.

ADrive.com – 50GB Free Storage

This one has been around a lot longer than the others. ADrive do try very hard to get you to upgrade to a paid plan, so the free service is basic. Basic is good enough! You also need to agree to banner advertising and marketing emails. Extraordinarily enough, I've never actually received one yet. There is a maximum file size, but it is 2GB so it is only likely to affect video enthusiasts.

Firedrive.com – 20GB Free Storage

I've scarcely used this one yet, but I've included it to take the available storage up to 200GB. There is no mention of a file size limit in the Terms of Service, but with 20GB you'd be limited with absolutely massive files anyway.

*** UPDATE 7th October 2014 - it appears as though Firedrive is no longer operational. In its place, I now recommend -

Hubic.com - 25GB Free Storage

This one looks really good. It is affiliated with a French hosting company, and the upload speeds and interface are working well so far. That means it is now 205GB of free storage! ***

There you are. A free solution which will give you some degree of insurance against a life disaster wiping out your files completely. I've not provided links, as they're all easy enough to find.

These are just the services I use, so I know they work. There are others, although not all are what they appear to be. Some have offered generous free packages, and then when everyone has their files uploaded, they've pulled a bait and switch and said the files will be deleted unless the user joins a paid plan. I don't believe the ones I've listed here will pull that stunt, as most of them are long established. If anyone has any other recommendations, please feel free to post them below.

SH
    Last edited by ScabHunter; 7 October 2014, 11:51. Reason: Update with fresh information

Re: 200GB Free Cloud Storage

Very useful, SH, thanks for that!

Hairy lino? Us Yorkshire folk can't afford that posh stuff, we have shredded DCA letters.
    And our cloud storage is called The Pennines...

Comment

I have a 2TB seagate external drive that comes with free online backup to The Cloud, it has more than enough capacity for all my important files

Comment

that is great thanks.

i use Drop Box which is world wide like the many other mentioned.

i bought a digital camera and it came with 60GB free space sign up for 2 years free, and if you recommenced family/friends or even add each device to the account, your drop box space increases, so does there's.

i have 2x laptops, ipad, mac desk top, tablet and 2x smartphone now i have 100 GB and only got 5GB worth on my drop box as i have 3 external 1TB hard drives as back ups anyhow (movies, MP3 music, photography art)..............it'll take ages to fill that on my drop box if i used it lol
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

UPDATE -

It looks as though Firedrive, one of the providers of cloud data storage which I recommended above, has now given up the ghost. If I visit the site now, I just see links with a '#' on the end, and no actual links to any storage space.

I have researched to try to find an alternative, and this one looks genuine -

Hubic.com – 25GB Free Storage

Apparently, it is run by a French hosting company called OVH. You get 25GB on the free plan, 5GB more than Firedrive was purportedly offering. I haven't tested it yet, but will do so in the very near future. I'll report back on what happens.

If it works as a replacement for Firedrive, the total amount of cloud storage available using the services I've recommended will then be 205GB.

All of the other services are ones I am actively using, and so far they are working perfectly.

SH

Comment

You forgot Google drive SH!
            For me, 100GB is plenty and only $1.99 a month.
            When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I didn't really forget it – it is more that I just wanted to include the services I had personally used and found to be reliable.

It looks as though you can get 15GB free with Google Drive – I might have to test that out as well.

Paid plans are a whole new ball game. I might have to carry out some research into the cheapest you could get 1TB for. The problem is the upload time – it is probably going to take me over a year to upload my music files to the free services.

SH

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean it to sound like it came out in type mate.
                Yes, 15GB free which is shared across all Googles platform (mail, calendar, drive). I don't believe Google doc's take up space.
                Yeah, i know what you mean about the upload. I had about 40GB on dropbox although when the renewal came up recently i didn't carry on with it ($99 for 1TB), so assumed i needed to get my storage down to about 12GB (which is what it was with referrals before upgrading to Pro). So i began the ball ache of downloading and uploading and then when i cancelled it, they say they wont delete anything over the new quota, but you can't add any more; so i didn't have to move it!
                When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

UPDATE -

I've now tested uploading to Hubic.com, and I have to say this one looks really good. Uploads were fast, and it is a good, clean interface.

I've amended the original post to reflect the fact that Hubic.com is now recommended instead of Firedrive.

If you add the free 15GB from Google Drive, that means you can now get 220GB of free cloud storage, just with the services mentioned on this thread.

SH

Comment

Excellent reference list ScabHunter, thanks for putting it all together.

I'm not seriously suggesting anyone do it with sensitive information but there are a couple of Chinese sites offering humongous amounts of free storage!
                    On one I have 10TB allocated and the other 26TB . I'm hardly using any of it.

I signed up using a separate email address, a very complicated password and a couple of non-essential files just over a year ago and they're still there. It was more of an exercise to see whether:
                    a) The files (and the site) would stay there. And
                    b) Whether the email address associated with them would be deluged by spam. (That hasn't happened)

As I say, given the human rights record that China has, I wouldn't advocate this as 'secure' storage but if you're interested just PM me and I'll send you the links.

If you do try them - use them at your own risk...

Comment

Well, those are insane numbers for storage space! As you say, it isn't likely to be the safest or most reliable, but if you've tested it and it works so far it might be worth knowing about.

The biggest problem, assuming it is genuine, is that it would take more time than I have available in a lifetime to make the uploads. It might be of interest to video fans who need a huge amount of storage, and who can invest in multiple internet connections or something with greatly increased upload speed (if that is possible).

I have sent a PM, because I am interested. Thank you.

SH

Comment

PM answered. Good luck!

Comment

I suppose it is all well and good having free cloud storage but what happens when one closes down, do you lose it all?

Comment

Originally posted by Pat View Post
                            I suppose it is all well and good having free cloud storage but what happens when one closes down, do you lose it all?
                            Yes, you do. But the same applies equally to paid cloud storage!

Have a look at the following article, which is about the Firedrive service which was originally one of my recommended choices -

http://news.techworld.com/security/3...e-coming-back/

Sadly, there will never be any way of controlling what happens to files you upload to a third party server, whether you are paying a fee or not. That is why I suggest -

* Always have external drive local back-up as your main back-up. Never rely on cloud storage for anything other than last resort off-site back-up
                            * Use several different services, so a service disappearing only affects a percentage of your files
                            * Make sure that any files of crucial importance, such as wedding photographs, are uploaded to multiple cloud storage services

Paying for a service doesn't give you even the slightest degree of protection, I'm afraid.

SH

Comment

Working...
                            X