GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Bizarre issue with Windows Vista - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bizarre issue with Windows Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizarre issue with Windows Vista

Not sure if this problems has been reported anywhere else on the forum.

I have a Dell laptop, which is just over five years old and, although it does go slow sometimes, is plenty good enough for my purposes. It came with Windows Vista pre-installed.

But, over the last few days something strange has happened. I get a pop-up message saying that Windows need to be verified (can't remember the exact wording, as I clicked it off, but will report if next time it appears) I found the key for my version of Windows but got the message that it was not correct!

Also, my desktop background has changed to a sinister black colour and there is a white message in the corner of the screen saying that my version of Windows is not genuine!

Despite all this, everything seems to be working OK (fingers crossed when I type this)

I was wondering whether it was some sort of virus? I have looked on Google but was unable to understand any of the answers. Microsoft website is full of instructions of how to reinstall Windows but I am concerned if I try to do this the key won't work and I will end up with no Windows.

Was just wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Bizarre issue with Windows Vista

Try this --> Build 6002 Copy of Windows Vista Not Genuine - black screen

Recreate the Licensing Store with the correct data.

1) Open an Internet Browser window.
    2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.
    3) Find the file CMD.exe
    4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
    5) Type: net stop slsvc (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
    6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Ro aming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing
    7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    8) Type: cd %windir%\system32
    9) Type: net start slsvc
    10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)
    11) Restart your computer twice.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

or try a cracked code such as: P3WXC-JD4K3-3BVWP-CCY73-WMDVW

Might be easier first....

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Niddy.

Will try the cracked code first - it looks slightly less difficult! Am going to back up all my files first though - better safe than sorry.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Or upgrade to win 7 with a cracked key - did I say that!

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
            Or upgrade to win 7 with a cracked key - did I say that!
            Thanks Pompey. Cracked key would not work - have spoken to son and he is going to do that complicated thing for me.

Not sure whether I have enough RAM for Windows 7 - I only have 2 GB.

Comment

That is enough ram as that is all I have.

Comment

and (cough cough) I have a copy of windows 7 I can happily sort for you

Comment

Win-7 is better than Vista, I would go for that as a clean install....

Why not

Comment

Dell, 5 year would mean it may have come with a restore DVD (which is actually the full operating system) - have you got this? If you have, you could copy all your documents to USB, share etc (or Dropbox them), insert it and re-install from scratch. Tap the F12 key upon start-up and then "select start from DVD".
                    If not, and you need to get Vista back on there, Dell will usually supply the media it may (i say may because it was often an extra cost on order) have been shipped with for a very small cost. They usually do it for free when in warranty.
                    Personally, i nuke Vista at every opportunity and you have an ideal one here! Even when it's running without issues, its still not the best. If you don't have any persoanl/business apps which depend on the Windows platform - have you considered using Ubuntu?
                    It's free, slick, safe and continues to work.

Hope you get it sorted!
                    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful messages.

Spent yesterday evening at son's house and he managed to find the code for Vista (I did not receive an installation disk)

It seems to have done the trick but am now thinking about the upgrade to Win 7 .....

Truly a wonderful bunch on here xxx

Comment

glad its all sorted....w7 will be a better option it really makes a huuuuge difference

PM me when you decide & I can sort a copy for you

Comment

I concur, go win7 - its sooooo easy to use and blows socks off Vista

Comment

Originally posted by philnicandamy View Post
                            glad its all sorted....w7 will be a better option it really makes a huuuuge difference

PM me when you decide & I can sort a copy for you
                            Thanks, PNAA. May well decide to give it a go - my laptop is really slow at the moment. Son wanted to fix it but he had been at work all day and I suspect he really wanted to relax and drink beer after sorting out Vista for me.

Comment

well soon as you do..let me know

Comment

Working...
                              X