GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Yet another EDF victim, I mean 'customer' - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another EDF victim, I mean 'customer'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another EDF victim, I mean 'customer'

We all like to have a good moan about utility companies but EDF's behaviour the past few days with me really does take the piss.

Their prepayment gas meter went faulty at the weekend, so I couldn't top it up. I was kept on hold for the usual hour on their customer 'service' line and still couldn't get through. Eventually, I rang their emergency number as I had no gas supply and even this number took 20 minutes to get a reply. Anyway, an engineer was sent just after midnight and agreed that it was faulty and replaced it. He then told me that I'd need a new card for the meter and I'd have to ring the customer "service" line for one. In the meantime, he put a £10 emergency credit on it. Of course ever since then, I've tried ringing and ringing their bloody phone number and not got through. It might be easier to get through during office hours but I can hardly wait on hold during my employer's time, even if I'm using my own mobile, now can I?

I foolishly agreed to go on prepayment meters voluntarily last June. The electricity had a few hundred quid debt on it and it seemed better to go on prepayment voluntarily than for them to go to court for a warrant and then have to pay the costs on top. However, my gas usage has been very low (not least because this house has an obsolete boiler that conks out after a minute every time you try to use it) and I should never have allowed them to put this thing in my house. At least with the electricity meter, you buy £20 worth of credit and that gets put on the meter. With the gas one, it deducts a percentage of "debt", plus any used emergency credit etc the moment you insert the card and then it continues deducting "standing charge" even when you are using feck all gas. I put in £60 just before Christmas and it went into "emergency credit" and cut off this weekend when I've used fuck all gas since I only have the hob and the almost non-functional boiler. Go figure.

Also the only places where you can top these keys/cards up are mini-mart type shops, so you are limited to their opening hours, and they all insist on you paying cash rather than using your debit card. Very inconvenient now that I'm working again. Even more inconvenient when I can't even get EDF to post out a new goddamn card!

Now I have tried other ways of contacting them, i.e. by email, including their "Exec Team" who had been quite helpful in the past. On this occasion, however, I got a rather snarky response from the "customer liaison" man, who also "recommended" that I leave EDF. However, he did at least arrange for someone from the prepayment team to call me, which they did. But obviously she rang during office hours but she needed me to be at home in front of the meter to answer some "health and safety" questions before they can send a new plastic card. I told her I could hardly do that when I'm at work, so she arranged to call me between 6 and 8pm that evening. She didn't.

I sent an email to EDF customer service again about this and they said she would call again last night. She didn't. Now I've been trying yet again to contact them today and suddenly they seem to be under orders not to respond, I am getting no replies at all. I tried raising it on Twitter and was asked to email them about it. Yet again, no reply once I gave them my account details.

I've even emailed the CEO to complain and cc'd it to my MP, who has raised the issue with them himself on my behalf. And still they haven't replied today. If they think ignoring me will make the problem go away, they're making a big mistake. I'll be onto BBC Watchdog and the newspapers next.

But I'm mystified as to why they are being so ridiculous over a stupid plastic card in the first place. The "safety" schtick just won't wash as an engineer has only just put the damn thing in and tested it.

Re: Yet another EDF victim, I mean 'customer'

Why not change mate?
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

p.s you broke our swear filter
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
        Why not change mate?
        I intend to but I still need access to gas in the meantime, it takes 4-6 weeks to change.

I've found a company called Ebico that actually have NO STANDING CHARGE (such companies are as rare as the proverbial rocking horse waste product). Their unit rate is slightly higher than EDF's, but as I'm a low user, I'm still better off going to them. The catch is that if I do want to switch to a normal meter (and I do), they charge £52 per meter for the privilege, whereas EDF do it for free if you pay off the debt (which I can easily do now - my big problem is getting them to answer their frigging phones!).

So ideally I'd like to get off the prepayment meter (for the gas anyway) before switching. I think the best thing for me at the moment may well be to move to Ebico as a prepay customer on the gas, then perhaps switch to another utility company later on to get the meters changed. I think EDF is the only one that does a free meter change without a credit check though. :-/

Comment

Or pay edf and swap meters THEN change suppliers.... You're gonna settle anyway aren't you

Also i'd stick to email (evidence log). Just write and say you want to pay it off then go back to monthly dd with a normal meter. Get it agreed in writing, pay the arrears, swap meter, move supplier. Done.

Comment

Problem at the moment is getting them to respond to anything, they're even blanking my MP at the moment!

Comment

I got a call from the EDF Exec Team this afternoon. I got an apology, a new card being sent out by Business Post, all the debt on both meters is being waived as a goodwill gesture and they are arranging an appointment for the engineers to change both meters to credit meters, plus they've had someone calling me to help me decide which would be the best tariff for me.

I think we can chalk that one up as a win.

Comment

Awesomeness. Well done

Comment

Brilliant! I'd definitely say it was a win
                  Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Well done EC
                    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Working...
                    X