GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Claims if without heat with chronic illness? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Claims if without heat with chronic illness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claims if without heat with chronic illness?

Last week I was without heating for at least 5 days, I pay my bills with Swalec and also have boiler and elect cover under the swalec scheme.

The problem actually happened over a month or so ago, the fan was getting stuck in the boiler, and the engineer came out the following day/morning and only temporary fixed it with spray and said as this happens regular (in our case), he put one on for order as it will not last long, and to contact them again once gone because the part will have come back by then.

So almost 4 weeks on, the fan started making weird noises, and also the valve in the upstairs cupboard stopped working. So no heat or hot water.
    We rang them on Weds 13 March at just after 3pm in the afternoon, and they guy he spoke to said as I have chonic illness, also my son with special needs has issues too, he put it down as urgent for someone to call back and come out.
    He could not find any details of the ordered fan, and said one will have to be ordered for the following day, and they will come out anyway and check the valve, in case that is the main problem for now.
    *(So they were well aware of the issues)

(So in this case, going by some details of the scheme) urgent is within 2 hours, but I didnt check these details until well later. It was 9pm when an engineer called without even ringing first, (ok fair enough), but he could not do anything then anyway, if that fan had been ordered weeks before, that could have been done out of the way, and he said someone will be out in the morning.

The following morning (Thurs), we chased up the scheme again and they did eventually send an engineer with the fan, so that was fixed, but said he would urgently order the valve (so they should be ringing with a time when he gets back to office). We heard nothing, so chased up again, left email details as well, and they later emailed back to say that the valve would not be back until the following Tuesday 19th.

So basically we were without heat/hot water for 6 almost 7 days!

How would be square to ask for a reduction in the bills, or ask for any redress compo? (They did say it was urgent due to med conditions).

Cheers.

Re: Claims if without heat with chronic illness?

.....in regards of urgency, how many days should you wait for a part and to get the job done?

Cheers.

Comment

I don't have a clue Di but hopefully someone else will know.

It can't be right that you were without heating/hot water for almost a week - especially in winter!
      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thank you Pixie xx

I found some details about complaining to the provider, and it states if you've no gas for 48 hours, the redress should be at least £30 for each 48 hours, if the business I write to fails to comply I can write to Ofgem, as the business should compensate within 20 days.

There is something that the provider should tell you your rights as well in instances with being without heat.

And your right this time of year has been VERY cold conditions.

Comment

Thats really bad Di, I have a similar plan with British Gas and when my boiler broke last weekend , I went on line and had a guy out the same morning on a sunday!!!

I think you should get compensated and free cover for the next year!!!!

I would move as well afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
            Thats really bad Di, I have a similar plan with British Gas and when my boiler broke last weekend , I went on line and had a guy out the same morning on a sunday!!!

I think you should get compensated and free cover for the next year!!!!

I would move as well afterwards.
            So sorry to hear you had problems as well mgfboy, that's all I've been hearing of everyone's boiler breaking down.
            Glad you had it fixed on that same day.

I agree, and they are fully aware of my chronic illness as well.

There are a few options though Swalec Shield Cover and for the heating I pay for the top one at £17.90 a month, I also have one for the electrical/wiring as well, just over £4 a month.

http://www.swalec.co.uk/HeatingAndWiring/Shield/

Terms & Conds
            http://www.swalec.co.uk/uploadedFile...WiringCare.pdf

When we contacted them to come out, they agreed it was an emergency/urgent, and below is a comment from the above T&C's about response time to call back by 2 hours. We called them not long after 3pm in the afternoon and they did not return the call until 9pm that night!!!!

Breakdown calls will be treated as a priority over visits for initial inspections and annual services.
            If we agree the breakdown is an emergency, we will use our reasonable endeavours to respond to it within two hours, or as soon as is reasonably practicable, including at weekends and on public holidays.
            Despite the fact or us keeping on at them!!

I just realised I wrote 5 days on my first post lol. It was actually on the 6th not 7th day it was all completed ;-)
            Last edited by di30; 26 March 2013, 23:47.

Comment

Left emails with both provider and the Sheild company. Did expect some confirmation but nothing yet, I'm not being patient I dont think lol.

Strange they are quick enough emailing back for other matters lol.

Comment

http://www.swalec.co.uk/HelpAndAdvic...intsProcedure/

Comment

I really don't know if this is fair or not, they are saying as a goodwill gesture they will refund the £16.90 in the next 14 days, reading on some energy site it used to be something like £30 for every 48 hours!

However, this is the fault of the gas cover company, Shield (Swalec home services), even though they are part of Swalec.
                  I do have Swalec as my gas/heating provider as well. Hmmmm stumped!!

Email received this morning below from Shield.

.................................................. .........................................
                  Good Morning Mr & Mrs

First of all i would like to apologise for the delay in response. I am sorry to hear that the service you have recently received has not been to our usual high standards. We provide ourselves on the level of service we provide and I agree that in this case, your account could have been handled more effectively.

I have looked into the parts situation, I see that the Fan was fitted 15/03/13 and the Mid Position Valve was ordered on the 15/03/13, but this part was not available through next day delivery and had to be ordered into branch which means it comes from the distributor, the part was not available locally, this is what has caused the delay, but this should of been communicated to you.

Please be assured that I have identified feedback from this matter and this will be addressed with the department concerned.

I understand the inconvenience we have caused, I would be happy to issue a refund of 1 months cover, £16.90 to your bank account, this is a gesture of goodwill and this will be paid within 14 working days.

I trust my actions have gone some way to restoring your faith in Swalec Home Services, and would ask that you please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Yours Sincerely

Deputy Team Manager
                  Shield Home Services

Comment

genourous are they not = 1 months payment refund? genourous to a tee!
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
                      genourous are they not = 1 months payment refund? genourous to a tee!
                      I know !
                      I was reading on Thisismoney, that if you've been without heat for more than 48 hours, then £30 for every 48 hours should be claimed, so in my case mine is almost treble to that.

I agree they should pay back one month, and they are doing as a goodwill gesture, but that should be including the above amounts too.

I don't think I'll sit back on this one and open to further advice please?
                      Thank you

Comment

Working...
                      X