GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Car advice..... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car advice.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car advice.....

Hello people... I have a few car queries and as it's not my area WHATSOEVER, I'm hoping for a bit of guidance.

My daughter is looking to change her car for a posh one now that she's landed a new job. If she goes to somewhere like Auto-trader and it's being sold by a garage, is it still advisable to get someone from the AA or RAC to look it over?.... or will this side of things be covered because she's buying it from a garage?

What kind of come-back does she have if things go t*ts up.... length of time, etc?

Also, if it's being sold by a garage, is it still advisable to check that it's got no outstanding finance on it?

In other words, is it safer to buy from a garage or not?

Thanks in advance
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Car advice.....

Hi, we always go to car checker and pay for a check, just to be safe. It depends on the garage, some come with AA/RAC checks. Garage cars usually come with a warrantee, but as you can see from Di's thread these can be variable in their value.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Depends which garage, but usually a garage isnt going to sell a car that has finance outstanding on it, they check these things before buying them.

Most garages offer some sort of warrenty and RAC point inspection checks, my advise would be, if its a well known garage, get them to chuck in a free service, if its lesser known, perhaps consider getting someone to look it over.

Comment

That's brilliant... thank you both. I'll keep you posted....
        Remember the mantra:

Comment

If possible try to buy a used car from a garage/car sales site that has a new car franchaise. They have more to lose if you have a problem. You may pay a little more, but it's worth it for peace of mind. If you buy a car from a garage you have redress in law if it is still on finance (money owed by a previous owner) or a stolen vehicle - not so if bought from a private seller.
          It's a good idea to get an AA/RAC inspection, but be aware they don't find everything. Hope everything goes well for your daughter - and check on insurance costs before deciding on what cars to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by Exclus View Post
            If possible try to buy a used car from a garage/car sales site that has a new car franchaise. They have more to lose if you have a problem. You may pay a little more, but it's worth it for peace of mind. If you buy a car from a garage you have redress in law if it is still on finance (money owed by a previous owner) or a stolen vehicle - not so if bought from a private seller.
            It's a good idea to get an AA/RAC inspection, but be aware they don't find everything. Hope everything goes well for your daughter - and check on insurance costs before deciding on what cars to look at.
            Thank you Exclus....
            Remember the mantra:

Comment

Hi P1,

Sorry, i've had a manic weekend and only just picked up on this.

It really depends on what car your daughter is looking for. I will only buy privately and auto trader is a good place to look. A good friend of mine makes a bit of money sourcing cars for people as he sorts the good from the crap, advises on condition, checks, paperwork and does the final deal. You would be surprised where and how far he travels to get cars for people. He has been as far as Scotland to get a car (we are in Wales) - all because the prices in rural areas are usually far cheaper than say, the Midlands, or London way. If its a 20K car this can be the saving of a few thousand!

If you let me know what car, model, spec and price range, i am more than happy to send you a few links from Auto-trader and why i have selected them.

As for the RAC/AA checks - they are a must if you don't know/know anyone who knows anything about cars. An on-the-day (of sale) MOT is good, although this doesn't cover everything on the car (like electrical problems, windows, locks, etc)

Let me know if i can help in anyway.

SA
              When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Originally posted by SA Gold View Post
                Hi P1,

Sorry, i've had a manic weekend and only just picked up on this.

It really depends on what car your daughter is looking for. I will only buy privately and auto trader is a good place to look. A good friend of mine makes a bit of money sourcing cars for people as he sorts the good from the crap, advises on condition, checks, paperwork and does the final deal. You would be surprised where and how far he travels to get cars for people. He has been as far as Scotland to get a car (we are in Wales) - all because the prices in rural areas are usually far cheaper than say, the Midlands, or London way. If its a 20K car this can be the saving of a few thousand!

If you let me know what car, model, spec and price range, i am more than happy to send you a few links from Auto-trader and why i have selected them.

As for the RAC/AA checks - they are a must if you don't know/know anyone who knows anything about cars. An on-the-day (of sale) MOT is good, although this doesn't cover everything on the car (like electrical problems, windows, locks, etc)

Let me know if i can help in anyway.

SA
                Thanks SA.... I think I've now got someone on board to help us now, so will keep you updated. It may take a while to sort out though.
                Remember the mantra:

Comment

**Update** My daughter now has a new car!

We went up and looked at it yesterday (after getting advice) but I had to drive it back on my insurance because when we rang to change hers over to the new vehicle, the premium almost made me die laughing. Sourced new insurance when we got in and got it for approx. £700 less than her existing insurer. They came out tops on her last car but were pants on this one....

Did a RAC history check beforehand and no outstanding finance or write-off issues, etc.... and the car drives like a dream. MOT 'til April with no advisories on the last one, full service history, etc, etc.

All in all.... PLEASED! Makes my car look like a right banger now though....
                  Remember the mantra:

Comment

So pleased for you, and your daughter. Hope she has many happy miles of trouble free motoring. Sounds like you will be changing yours soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Exclus View Post
                      So pleased for you, and your daughter. Hope she has many happy miles of trouble free motoring. Sounds like you will be changing yours soon!
                      Thank you Exclus..... I think you're right! Mine runs well but it's getting rusty now..... think it needs to go to the scrap heap in the sky..... lol!
                      Remember the mantra:

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
                        **Update** My daughter now has a new car!

We went up and looked at it yesterday (after getting advice) but I had to drive it back on my insurance because when we rang to change hers over to the new vehicle, the premium almost made me die laughing. Sourced new insurance when we got in and got it for approx. £700 less than her existing insurer. They came out tops on her last car but were pants on this one....

Did a RAC history check beforehand and no outstanding finance or write-off issues, etc.... and the car drives like a dream. MOT 'til April with no advisories on the last one, full service history, etc, etc.

All in all.... PLEASED! Makes my car look like a right banger now though....

Good work P1
                        When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Working...
                        X