GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Jury service - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jury service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jury service

My son is currently going through the process of assessement for Aspergers, he's 21 but it was something we skirted around for a long time beofre we've jointly decided to try and sort out now.
    His had his initial one hour chat but his next appointment isn't until August.
    Today he's received Jury Service call up, he and his Mum and I don't think this would suit him at all as he just wouldn't get the evidence but we've no official diagnosis yet. We're going to ring the hospital dept on Monday but just wondering if anyone else had experience of anything similar and what happened ?

Thx

Re: Jury service

Hi Looking forward

I got myself excused from jury service on health grounds a few years ago. I didn't need medical evidence, just wrote and described my condition and why I couldn't travel/sit in a courtroom for long periods etc they excused me.

If you say he's currently under investigation for Asperger's Syndrome and describe the issues he has and that he wouldn't be able to concentrate/assimilate information/tolerate the strange environment/stress etc it should be fine.

Elsa x

Comment

I think courts are more relaxed with excusing people these days than they used to be. Ive had a few in the past asking me to attend, and both times ive been allowed to be excused on the grounds of my job.

I just say, as an accountant, I have appointments with clients, which I can not change and would not be able to attend. They seem to be ok with that. Im not sure if that's done to the profession or just the general reason. But I wouldn't worry, you seem to have a pretty good reason for not attending.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I did Jury Service last August ..Just write and explain,,they're really understanding
        Inca has left the building,too old to keep reading HISTORY that others keep re-writing.

I was there,,I saw what you did,saw it with my own 2 eyes.wipe off that grin,I know were you've been,it's all been a pack of lies.....(Phil Collins,Coming in the air tonight)

Comment

Originally posted by lookingforward View Post
          his next appointment isn't until August.
          Today he's received Jury Service call up, he and his Mum and I don't think this would suit him at all as he just wouldn't get the evidence but we've no official diagnosis yet. We're going to ring the hospital dept on Monday but just wondering if anyone else had experience of anything similar and what happened ?
          What is the date of the Jury Service in relation to that August appointment?

Anyone can defer Jury Service once by filling in the "Deferral and Refusal" section of the summons. This can be done for even minor reasons like going on holiday, family wedding and other inconveniences (being pregnant is one but not applicable to your son obviously). If he is currently under assessment (you say he's already had one appointment) I would think that's a good enough reason to defer.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/...ry_service.htm

Comment

Brilliant, thanks everyone, we'll get it sorted for him, he's getting stressed over it already. It's July by the way.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lookingforward View Post
              he's getting stressed over it already. It's July

If the Jury Service is scheduled for July then that may be a good thing because your son will be in "mid-assessment". You can prove (if asked) that he's currently in the process of being assessed with a letter from the hospital confirming that August appointment. I would think it's not until then that you can honestly say whether he's fit or not to do Jury Service until the hospital say he is. Which conveniently won't be until after that July date on the summons

Comment

Thank you :-)

Comment

The other thing about Jury Service is that it may have a start date but it doesn't have an end date. If you get allocated to one of those long boring fraud trials which go on for weeks and weeks your son wouldn't be able to take part because he has a hospital appointment the following month which cannot be changed. If he takes the day off to attend that appointment then the whole court has to collapse for a day too (judge, barristers, witnesses etc) which will cost the court thousands of pounds.

So I think there should be no problem deferring if you include the hospital appointment letter.

They will ask you to suggest alternative available dates within the 12 month period but you can say you cannot commit to anything until his diagnosis is completed.

That should do the trick

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/dela...m-jury-service

Comment

With Asperger's I wouldn't think he'd be available at all, to be honest. I didn't give alternate dates for my condition. Might be an idea to include an official guide outlining the symptoms:
                    Attached Files

Comment

I agree, but I think the OP's problem is his son has not yet been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome he's only undergoing assessment. Once that's been confirmed (if it is) in August then it should be a doddle to defer Jury Service for ever.

Comment

Hiya

I can understand where your coming from.
                        My son now 19 was officially diagnosed when approaching 12 years old with Aspergers Syndrome and Anxiety disorders, we also had to take him out of secondary school when he was 13 years old as he could not cope with crowded environments and the school admitted they could do no more, but then they never understood this spectrum.

Do you have a Paeditrician or key worker than can help for the time being and put a support letter in place for your son?

I will do more digging on this for you x

Comment

Not much of a write up on this link below but maybe we could google search as from there on to see what we can find x

http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/is-illeg...ervice/1969958

Comment

Also check this link out here......

http://www.autism.org.uk/working-wit...-and-asds.aspx

Comment

Mencap are also a good organisation, i remember they helped me with a situation and even done a support letter for my son and it helped big time, that was whilst he was undergoing assessements before the official diagnosis, they maybe worth calling or emailing......

http://www.mencap.org.uk/all-about-l...ers-and-family

Comment

Working...
                              X