GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Child Tax Credit & Your Child Turning 16 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Child Tax Credit & Your Child Turning 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Tax Credit & Your Child Turning 16

Hi all

I have searched the forums for anyone else who may have posted regarding this subject but cannot find anything, so I thought I would post what happened to me as a way of warning others.

I found out last week that suddenly my benefit had stopped. (Child Tax Credit) and it was not until I got my paper work I noticed that my award was only to the 31st of August. (My own fault for not reading my paperwork properly!!)

I rang them to enquire why and it was because my child had turned 16 this year.

I said to them that I renewed my claim in May by telephone and that I was asked had any circumstances changed. My answer was NO. My child was staying on at school (going into sixth form) so in my mind, no circumstances had changed.

Apparently its up to us to actually tell them this. They do not prompt this question at all.

So just a small word of warning to double check your paperwork and remember to prompt them if this is what is happening with your child when they turn 16. It could save you a loss of benefit and all the problems it can start with missing payments until they get it sorted.

I feel its a bit of a flaw in system as Child Benefit write and ask you your intentions, but yet tax credits don't.

Be careful

Chooch

Re: Child Tax Credit & Your Child Turning 16

Originally posted by Chooch View Post
    Hi all

I have searched the forums for anyone else who may have posted regarding this subject but cannot find anything, so I thought I would post what happened to me as a way of warning others.

I found out last week that suddenly my benefit had stopped. (Child Tax Credit) and it was not until I got my paper work I noticed that my award was only to the 31st of August. (My own fault for not reading my paperwork properly!!)

I rang them to enquire why and it was because my child had turned 16 this year.

I said to them that I renewed my claim in May by telephone and that I was asked had any circumstances changed. My answer was NO. My child was staying on at school (going into sixth form) so in my mind, no circumstances had changed.

Apparently its up to us to actually tell them this. They do not prompt this question at all.

So just a small word of warning to double check your paperwork and remember to prompt them if this is what is happening with your child when they turn 16. It could save you a loss of benefit and all the problems it can start with missing payments until they get it sorted.

I feel its a bit of a flaw in system as Child Benefit write and ask you your intentions, but yet tax credits don't.

Be careful

Chooch

Hi Chooch

Thanks for this.

I did receive letters from CHB at the beginning of the year, and the renewal letters in the new tax year to say as my son turned 16 the credits will end by 31 August, same as the CHB, and to let them know by August 2011 if stay on at school, college or doing approved training.

With my older son, I recall on having to let them know in the August time as well, he is 23 almost, but stayed on at school for the sixth form for 2 years, they backdated it all back, so it should be the same for you too.

Comment

Thanks Di

Yeah its all being back dated, there is not a problem there thank goodness.

Just thought that there might be others out there who like me, took it as granted things would just continue as normal.

I know I was not the first .. prob not the last either, but when you miss money for a couple of weeks it can get you into a mess.. prevention is best

Chooch

Comment

Originally posted by Chooch View Post
        Thanks Di

Yeah its all being back dated, there is not a problem there thank goodness.

Just thought that there might be others out there who like me, took it as granted things would just continue as normal.

I know I was not the first .. prob not the last either, but when you miss money for a couple of weeks it can get you into a mess.. prevention is best

Chooch

Cheers honey.
        Yes I know exactly what you mean, and we did miss it, my son normally gets paid a premium for severe disability as well which have helped big time for him in regards of his extra education at home, as he could not cope at school.

Comment

Working...
        X