GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script P800 Tax Calculation help - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P800 Tax Calculation help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: P800 Tax Calculation help

As said above post today, copy of letter "J" had in the post this morning, this was to chase the first letter up, so meanwhile they would have also received the one done last week, we done on here.
    Attached Files

Comment

What she did say was, in regards of the above letter where it states the employer may have made an error by good faith which in this case the liability is then back to her if this is what they think, she said she wonders despite the fact that she done the right thing by passing it on, where they did confirm it was sent electronically, that the HMRC may then still favour the employer, she has her worries about that.

Comment

Yes that is true, it all depends on what the employer says, and what HMRC believe to be "in good faith". So vague its hard to guess.

She should still have a right to reply once they decide, so she could argue once again that she gave them her P45 and they submitted a P46 regardless so there is no error in good faith, there is a blatent error on their part.

Deal with that once we know what HMRC come back with at some point.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
          Yes that is true, it all depends on what the employer says, and what HMRC believe to be "in good faith". So vague its hard to guess.

She should still have a right to reply once they decide, so she could argue once again that she gave them her P45 and they submitted a P46 regardless so there is no error in good faith, there is a blatent error on their part.

Deal with that once we know what HMRC come back with at some point.
          Thank you, see what happens first, I expect it will take some time going by the letter.

Another thing she did raise as well, if the employer tries turning it back around on the HMRC, that they did provide the information to them, I assume they would have to provide them concrete proof of this happening.
          But if it was the case that the HMRC did finally track down the information, would it then be down to the HMRC instead?

Wondering if it could be a different software used perhaps?

Comment

If they throw the ball in HMRC's court, then HMRC would say, show me the proof, we have no record, so that wouldnt wash.

IF it was found to be HMRC's fault then it would be down to them.

But i cant see that happening. HMRC can only confirm or deny what was submitted by looking at what was submitted if you know what i mean.

Everything has to be done online either via HMRC online tools or software, theres no way to submit one thing and it come through as something else.

So that argument is unlikely to suceed.
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

If they throw the ball in HMRC's court, then HMRC would say, show me the proof, we have no record, so that wouldnt wash.

IF it was found to be HMRC's fault then it would be down to them.

But i cant see that happening. HMRC can only confirm or deny what was submitted by looking at what was submitted if you know what i mean.

Everything has to be done online either via HMRC online tools or software, theres no way to submit one thing and it come through as something else.

So that argument is unlikely to suceed.

Yes that makes a lot of sense, and judging by her employer's emails, I personally don't think they know what they are doing to be honest.

Cheers.

Comment

LOL no they are clueless.

We just have to let it play out im afraid, next step is waiting for HMRC's decision.

Comment

LOL no they are clueless.

We just have to let it play out im afraid, next step is waiting for HMRC's decision.
                  She is a worrier lol, mind you she has been left with some battles to deal with personal issues and stuff the last year or so, but I did say it will all come out either way, so just leave it to them now is best.

Comment

Hi

Please would you know if "J" should receive an acknowledgement letter to say they received her A19 information?

She asked me last week to ask and I forgot lol, cheers.

Comment

She should receive a response to the form, but not an acknowledgment it was served no. She can telephone and ask.

Comment

She should receive a response to the form, but not an acknowledgment it was served no. She can telephone and ask.
                        Ok,. thank you.
                        She did say she notes they received it via track and trace, so I should think as long as she is reassured it got there, then that would be ok, so just to wait now for them to come to a decision in time?

Comment

yeah thats pretty much it, just a waiting game, can take a few months depending on backlog, but maybe quicker, depends what department deal with it.

if its PAYE could be quicker, if its general compliance, its anyones guess.

Comment

"J" received her new tax code notice in the post today for 2013 to 2014.

She did give me permission to attach, so if I can I shall do this shortly.

This is what it's going to be:

Personal Allowance £9440
                            Underpayment Restriction -£622
                            a tax free amount of £8818

So the tax code they will be using is 881L from 6 April and they already contacted the employer to use this code as from then on.

There is something she is confused on and I am too, so not sure how to advise, as you will note from above posts attachments the amount due, but on the NOTES of this coding notice it says:
                            "We previously told you that you owe £124.45 tax from an earlier tax year. To collect this we have reduced your tax free code amount by £622.00. We expect you to pay tax at 20% on an extra £622 this year and this should collect the amount due (£622.00 at 20% is £124.45)"

She is confused on the amount of £124.45 they say is due, for the fact that the P800 tax calculations says a different amount due, and they were to use the underpayment from her other one where she was due a payment of refund.

I will scan the details up as soon as I can, maybe you may know how they worked this out perhaps, cheers.

Comment

As said above earlier.........

Below on permission of "J" is the coding notice letter.....
                              She is confused on the fact it says on the P800 letter that after using the underpayment of £449 odd, there will be £248.91 she has to pay, and on this letter they say on the new coding notice she received today "£124.45".
                              I havent a clue either lol, cheers.
                              Attached Files

Comment

...........Right ok, been looking back at her info she provided me in the past and they did mention to repay over the 2 year period, so the amount they stated is for a year only, then the other half must be the year after??

But............if this is the case, they would not have used the refund of what is due to her???

Now is it me getting confused? lol

So she owes in full was £622 as shown on today's tax coding notice.

Tax overpaid 2008-09 £443.71
                                plus repayment supplement where appropriate £6.18
                                = £449.89

But on the p800 2010-11 year letter it states after using the above overpayment that would have been due for her, the total balance she would owe would come down to:
                                £248.91.

It doesnt look like they taken the deduction of the refund into account does it?

Comment

Working...
                                X