GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script P800 Tax Calculation help - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P800 Tax Calculation help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: P800 Tax Calculation help

LOL i have no idea what it means
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
      LOL i have no idea what it means
      Nor me LOL!, I asked her what he meant, and she said she was told it would be with her quicker, still not heard from her, so not sure if she has it yet.

Comment

Im guessing he just ment he would type it up by hand and send it out, instead of the automated letter that gets sent out, who knows!
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Not heard from her all weekend, or today up to now, unless she's afternoon's, as I tried ringing her at just after 2, can't really remember what shift she's working this week, but do think if she has news she will let me know. (Am just curious if this manual letter reached her yet lol)!

Comment

I did manage to catch Ju before she went away for a few days to see her family, it was short and sweet as she was in a rush, but she did say something like it looks like she never had the full payment of £449 odd because £170 odd of that was to be paid to 2011-12 year, which is why she was left with £270 cheque, but she never even had a P800 tax calculation letter of that year, and the tax office just automatically done it.
            Now as she works for agency and there was a time they were laid off for a short while, it looks like its the same employer who done the same as the matter just resolved, and she returned to the same employer/agency, where again she handed in her P45 and even has proof of that being done.

But instead of tax office letting Ju know it looks like they just automatically taken the money for that one. (for another year she was not even aware of).
            Can they do that?

Comment

No, they need to make her aware of what they are doing or intend to do.

They would have sent her a letter explaining any underpayments for 2011-12 same as the other years.

Its all abit messed up if im honest, she needs those calculations. She should ask them to fax it directly now.

Comment

No, they need to make her aware of what they are doing or intend to do.

They would have sent her a letter explaining any underpayments for 2011-12 same as the other years.

Its all abit messed up if im honest, she needs those calculations. She should ask them to fax it directly now.
                Thanks SXGuy

I think she has the calculation letter, (I assumed she did) coz she said when she comes back from England she will pop the info in. (someone in her family is poorly) so she was in a hurry to get off.

I didnt think it sounded right either, unless of course with her post the P800 never arrived (mislaid), but like you said it would have been included with the other 2).

Comment

Been a while since posting on this one but I know Ju have had a lot on her plate in these recent months (family stuff) etc.

However, she did call in yesterday to leave the letter she received in her post yesterday morning in regards of the questioning of why she never received the full overpayment £449.89 where she received £270.89 in June.

She is concerned because she never had the chance to appeal this one and its only now she received the letter of explaination.

.................................................. .................................................. ...
                  Dear Mrs

Thank you for your letter 1 July 2013 regarding my colleague's letter of 13 June 2013.
                  I can confirm that your employer did make an error or mistake 2010-11.

The total tax underpaid, shown on the tax calculation dated 8 November 2012, for the year ended 5 April 2011 was £698.00. The amount caused by your employers error or mistake was £519.80. We will contact your employer to collect this amount.

This means that you still owed us tax of £179.00. This arose because the amount of the underpayment attribute to employer error was less than the amount of the underpayment.

We collected thisfrom your 2008-09 overpayment of £449.89. This therefore resulted in the cheque you received £270.89 dated 12 June 2013. Therefore no further repayment is due to you.

Yours sincerely

Assistant Officer.

.................................................. .................................................. ...................................

Originally this was about 2010-11 underpayment
                  And overpayment in 2008-09
                  Where notices were received of the above.

Error down to empployer 2010-11
                  Money owed to Ju 2008-08 of £449.89
                  But Ju received £270.89 of that as the HMRC also used £179 of her overpayment towards the amount owed.

How can this be though?
                  I cant understand this myself lol.
                  If the underpayment was down to employer then why still take part of it from Ju, how can that be?

Thanks.

Comment

I can see why you are confused, and thats where Accountants would normally explain the deductions to their clients, and so ill do the same for you LOL

Ok, HMRC are stating that her overall underpaid tax for 2010/11 was £698.00.

Part of that underpaid tax was a result of her employer using incorrect P46 information and ignoring the P45 details (income from other employments and tax already paid)

This error resulted in an underpayment of £519.80, for which they are asking him personally to repay.

The second part of the underpaid tax of £179, is what they havent actually been clear on.

Theres two potential reasons for this. The first reason being, the amount of tax stopped by her previous employer (as shown on her P45) is incorrect also.

Or HMRC issued an incorrect Tax Code at some point resulting in her employer not stopping enough tax.

I do know, that HMRC have in the past, issued incorrect tax codes, for which they have clawed underpaid tax back from people in future years. Infact quite a lot of people were in a similar position a few years back. In most cases HMRC just updated their current tax codes to claw it back, but it appears in this case, as she was due a repayment, they have taken it from that instead.

The difference your friend has received is correct based on their calculations.

So personally, i dont see what valid reason your friend would have to appeal this. I think she should be happy she's had 519.80 paid on her behalf by the employer, and has also received £270.89 in her pocket.

Comment

I can see why you are confused, and thats where Accountants would normally explain the deductions to their clients, and so ill do the same for you LOL

Ok, HMRC are stating that her overall underpaid tax for 2010/11 was £698.00.

Part of that underpaid tax was a result of her employer using incorrect P46 information and ignoring the P45 details (income from other employments and tax already paid)

This error resulted in an underpayment of £519.80, for which they are asking him personally to repay.

The second part of the underpaid tax of £179, is what they havent actually been clear on.

Theres two potential reasons for this. The first reason being, the amount of tax stopped by her previous employer (as shown on her P45) is incorrect also.

Or HMRC issued an incorrect Tax Code at some point resulting in her employer not stopping enough tax.

I do know, that HMRC have in the past, issued incorrect tax codes, for which they have clawed underpaid tax back from people in future years. Infact quite a lot of people were in a similar position a few years back. In most cases HMRC just updated their current tax codes to claw it back, but it appears in this case, as she was due a repayment, they have taken it from that instead.

The difference your friend has received is correct based on their calculations.

So personally, i dont see what valid reason your friend would have to appeal this. I think she should be happy she's had 519.80 paid on her behalf by the employer, and has also received £270.89 in her pocket.
                      Thanks SXGuy

Yes I see what you are saying and agree with you.

I will try explaining this to her as best as I can. (She in a tizwaz at the mo due to personal family issues) all going on at the same time.

Thank you for looking into this though, but I do see what you mean. I think she just assumed that as the underpayment was down to employer error then it meant the full amount owing was down to her employer and didnt know how they worked it out, and that they deducted the £170 from her overpayment to pay for something that wasnt her fault (if you get my drift) lol!

thank you.

Comment

I do see how its confusing, she could perhaps write back and ask them to explain where the underpaid tax of £179.00 arrived from.

If its also down to previous employer error, i.e not using correct tax code, that could be claimed back again, would be a seperate claim this time, going through the same process again.

But explain to her that it appears this was underpaid tax concerning another issue and not part of her employers error which is why they have deducted it.

Comment

I do see how its confusing, she could perhaps write back and ask them to explain where the underpaid tax of £179.00 arrived from.

If its also down to previous employer error, i.e not using correct tax code, that could be claimed back again, would be a seperate claim this time, going through the same process again.

But explain to her that it appears this was underpaid tax concerning another issue and not part of her employers error which is why they have deducted it.
                          Thanks again SXGuy, yes I shall let her know and see what she wants to do.

I do still have copies of her notices here, think I may have posted it earlier in the thread, but not sure if this would explain anything.

Will let her know - thanks :-)

Comment

Just dug up some of her past letters from the tax office.

The one dated 20th December 2012 states that the overpayment (2010-11) was do to with the employer (PMP) who's she still with now (with going through records for that actual year). No mention of the company she worked with before that.
                            Do you think (if she wants to try to appeal on this) that she should enclose that letter?

This was also when they said when they (HMRC) received the P46 from the current employer.
                            Attached Files

Comment

No i think she should at the most, ask them to explain where the underpaid tax of 179 quid came from, and we can take it from there.

Comment

No i think she should at the most, ask them to explain where the underpaid tax of 179 quid came from, and we can take it from there.
                                I spoken to her quickly and she said she thinks she understands, but dont think she will bother appealing but she may just ask on where the £179 came from as she is curious on this. Maybe it would be quicker if she rang them.
                                She said thank you (again) lol!

Comment

Working...
                                X