GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script P800 Tax Calculation help - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P800 Tax Calculation help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: P800 Tax Calculation help

Could be quicker to ring. Would be interested to know also.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I did try ringing but no answer, I note they open til 4pm on Saturday's. If not I expect it will be Monday she'll ring, am interested to know too, considering they must have already looked into the previous employer as it was the same year and she wasnt there long, about 3/4 months and not working before that I dont think.

Comment

im hedging a bet that the 179 is a result of underpaid tax based on incorrect P45 information.

If you look on a P45 it shows the date of leaving and the last month/week to which it applies. They would know what tax should be stopped on the earnings up to that point.

Its possible after sorting all this they looked at it and realised it was 179 quid short.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Right Ju ended up ringing them earlier in the week and was just told they will send a letter in the post for as soon as possible. She said the guy she was talking to seemed to be confused about it, so which is why he said it will be looked into and letter will be sorted to be sent.

Comment

LOL ok, well as you know, this letter could take awhile, so lets see what it says when it finally arrives.

Comment

Cheers SXGuy

She said when she does receive it lol, I can post it up on here :-) expecting it will take some time lol.

Comment

Ju SAR'd HMRC and not long received the information back. she left them with me today, but not had the chance to look through it all yet.
                I note the last 2 pages states the original payment due to her, and the amount she did end up receiving. Not sure if there are any clues of what she wants to know though. So whilst waiting for the letter she said I can take a look through and post up any info I think may be relevant. There may be more yet.
                Attached Files

Comment

With addition to the above, I did find more info on earnings she earned before she commenced employment with the current employer.

So she commenced employment 30 August 2010 with the employer she's still with now (We know this company been dealt with by the HMRC and resolved on Ju's favour).
                  The employer before them, from April to the above date she got paid monthly, her tax code 647L.

Earnings from start of the 2010 tax year to Ending employment (to the above date) £9019.50

Tax paid in previous employment: £1106.00
                  (As it states on the info) the amount of tax deducted as advised by your employer was £1106.00

Your Tax Code 647L

She's a 20% basic tax payer.

What I would like to know is, will it help with an online calcularoe for that year 2010/11 to work out how much tax she should have paid in that employment?

Do you have a good link to a tax calculator please?

Cheers.

Comment

.......Been working it out.

With the above earnings from the previous employer 2010/2011 of £9019.50
                    The earning with current employer 2010-11 works out at £11,320
                    Full total for 2010-11 year = £20340 from both the above employers for that tax year.

So with the tax code being 647L for that year (Basic tax paying Rate @ 20%) maybe an online tax calculator for each earnings will help to find that problem of where they recently used part of the payment.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Comment

Sorry Di, was out drinking last night, only just seen this. http://www.listentotaxman.com/ one on this site is pretty good, may be a few pennies out though, something to do with them treating the L as a 9 instead of 5. but you will get a rough idea.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                        Sorry Di, was out drinking last night, only just seen this. http://www.listentotaxman.com/ one on this site is pretty good, may be a few pennies out though, something to do with them treating the L as a 9 instead of 5. but you will get a rough idea.
                        Thank you SXGuy

Hope you had a good night :-)

Do I put in each job earnings over a year? (as from April to August was her previous employment) but put in her full taxable income for yearly?

I shall give it a go anyway and see what we come up with, thanks.

Comment

Earning from previous employment: April 2010-August 2010 £9,019.50
                          Tax free allowance: £6470.00
                          Total Taxable:£2549.50
                          20% Tax Due: £509.90

She paid tax of £1106.00.

Earnings from August 2010 to April 2011: £11,320.00
                          Tax Free Allowances: £6470
                          Total Taxable: £4850
                          20% Tax Due: £970

Total income for year of both of the above as shown on P800 Tax Calculation Tax year 2010-11 = £20340.

Now do I go by tax due or total taxable?

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post

She would have paid more because she left in August and earned £9019.50 over 5 months. Had she stayed a whole tax year, the tax would have reduced down.

Tax codes for the year are divided by the rate of pay. so 6470 / 12 * 5 months, is what her allowance would have been at that point.

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                            Earnings from August 2010 to April 2011: £11,320.00
                            Tax Free Allowances: £6470
                            Total Taxable: £4850
                            20% Tax Due: £970

Total income for year of both of the above as shown on P800 Tax Calculation Tax year 2010-11 = £20340.

Now do I go by tax due or total taxable?

thanks.
                            What i think you will need to do, is calculate the tax due based on her total income for the year April to April, use her tax code of 647L, would out the tax due, and deduct it from what shes actually paid. that will give you an idea of whats still due or what owed.

Comment

Thanks SXGuy will have a go now lol, I'm hopeless at this sort of thing lol.

So basically put in the full amount of £20340 of both incomes together into the calculator?

(Just wondering where that £179 would have come in of what they used of her original payment due, to see if it could have been the previous employer - where the payment may have been due, but not sure how to work it) lol.

Okay here goes for the year:

Total Gross pay 2010-11 £20340
                              Tax Free Allowances: £6479
                              Total Taxable: £13,861
                              Tax Due: £2772.20

So she paid £1106 from the previous job, and approx £968 with the current job where HMRC are asking for the underpayment back from them, but nothing proves if the previous employer was responsible for the remaining £179 that they taken from Ju's £449 overpayment??

Stuck?? :-/ lol

Comment

Ah hang on, might have found it

£9019.50 - 2697.92 (tax allowance over 5 months) = 6321.58 taxable. Tax @ 20% = 1264.32. 1264.32 less paid (1106) = underpaid by £158.32.

Now if that 179 includes underpaid national insurance contributions, then that may be it.

Comment

Working...
                                X