GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script help with tax - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help with tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with tax

my son is self employed in partnership with a friend , they are making a loss in the business and both of them were naïve about business and my son has received a £1300 tax bill and from what he is telling me it is fines for not putting his /tax in on time, hubby helped him to put his tax returns a month ago and when he phoned tax office they put this years through but should have been last years, he has now been fined and the £1300 is made of fines .

He has filled in an income and expenditure from which we downloaded from the CAB and he has £11 a month spare to which he could offer to pay off the debt , but he panicked and originally offered then £20 a month and they are phoning him today to discuss it with . I have told him to say that he thought he had £20 to offer when in fact after looking at his I&E he only has £11/

Are they likely to accept this or will they take him to court ?

Re: help with tax

Hold up.

What you are saying is, your son filed a tax return this year on time, for which the business had a loss, but he failed to submit a tax return last year, which has raised a penalty of £1300?

If so, is it true he should have filed a return last year? what was the turnover of the business in 2011/12?

Unfortunalty you used to be able to waiver fines if the year you submit late has no tax to pay, but they changed this in recent years, and the penalties will stand.

I have sucessfully made an appeal on fines like these, by claiming mental health issues such as, a breakup of marriage etc, for which they will write the penalties off, i dont know your son's situation, but if there was a good reason for failing to submit last year, let me know and ill guide you through an appeal.

If not, it will still stand. Please make sure you file a return for 2011/12 regardless of the fine, as this MUST still be filed.

In regards to the penalty being paid off, they will accept this, but they may also ask you to pay off in installments, and they may also add interest.

You need to speak to them on the phone and get this sorted, send an I & E only if they ask for one.

They will speak to your son like a peice of trash, but he must stay firm and get them to see its all he can afford.

Some have been known to ask stupid things like, cancel sky or sell your tv. Dont let them get away with this, your son has every right to own a tv and pay for sky before any penalties are due to be paid.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
      Hold up.

What you are saying is, your son filed a tax return this year on time, for which the business had a loss, but he failed to submit a tax return last year, which has raised a penalty of £1300?

If so, is it true he should have filed a return last year? what was the turnover of the business in 2011/12?

Unfortunalty you used to be able to waiver fines if the year you submit late has no tax to pay, but they changed this in recent years, and the penalties will stand.

I have sucessfully made an appeal on fines like these, by claiming mental health issues such as, a breakup of marriage etc, for which they will write the penalties off, i dont know your son's situation, but if there was a good reason for failing to submit last year, let me know and ill guide you through an appeal.

If not, it will still stand. Please make sure you file a return for 2011/12 regardless of the fine, as this MUST still be filed.

In regards to the penalty being paid off, they will accept this, but they may also ask you to pay off in installments, and they may also add interest.

You need to speak to them on the phone and get this sorted, send an I & E only if they ask for one.

They will speak to your son like a peice of trash, but he must stay firm and get them to see its all he can afford.

Some have been known to ask stupid things like, cancel sky or sell your tv. Dont let them get away with this, your son has every right to own a tv and pay for sky before any penalties are due to be paid.
      hi thank you for your reply, my son has just text me and they have accepted £10 per month to clear it which he is happy about that as it has put his mind at rest .

Its a stupid situation and he could have avoided it but that's young people for you they know better , and this is something he will not do again .

Comment

I only recently realised that SAR requests from the Tax office they do not charge, could be useful for anyone having problems.

Comment

thanks Di good to know

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
            I only recently realised that SAR requests from the Tax office they do not charge, could be useful for anyone having problems.
            That's good to hear, I may have to send one to find out about the overpayment they claim they made to me.

Comment

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/DPU_SAR

They don't usually make you wait the full 40 days ;-)

Comment

Working...
              X