GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Mortgage Company Not Playing Ball - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mortgage Company Not Playing Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortgage Company Not Playing Ball

Hi all

Sorry for the over long post, but here's the story. I have a repayment mortgage with NRAM that costs me £900 per month. In April I contracted NRAM to inform them my wife and I would be unemployed from May 2012 and wanted to know what help they could offer. They agreed to a 3 month payment holiday which covered June, July and August.

In July I contacted them again to say our financial situation had not improved and would like to apply for a period of 'interest only'. We filled in all the necessary paperwork including Income & Expenditure forms and have been waiting for a response. Despite my constant phone calls, they have waited until today (a few days before my first mortgage payment after the payment holiday is due) to tell me they have declined our application for 'interest only' on the basis they don't think we can afford it. The amount for 'interest only' would have been £475 per month.

I asked what they were going to do as I don't have £900 per month at this moment in time. They said I would have to talk to the collections team who were the ones who referred me to the 'interest only' option in the first place.

We can comfortably afford to pay £500 at present and this is what I intend to pay this month and subsequent months until our financial position improves. However, as opposed to paying £500 a month on an 'interest only' deal where I wouldn't be accruing arrears every month, I will now be in arrears to the tune of £400 every month.

If it's relevant at all, I have NEVER missed a mortgage payment in the 26 years I have held a mortgage and I have NEVER been late with a payment either.

I guess I have 2 questions.

1. What else can I do at this moment in time other than pay the £500 per month I can afford

2. What action are the mortgage company likely to take as I continually fall into arrears every month to the tune of £400.

Also, has anyone else been in this position and what was the outcome.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Re: Mortgage Company Not Playing Ball

As you are both unemployed now can you pay the £500pm? The reason I ask is I'm trying to get my head around why they wont change to interest only.

It is more difficult to get a interest only mortgage now, but it seems stupid not to offer you interest only in the short term.

Did they ask you what you would use as a repayment vehicle for the interest only???

Comment

My mortgage company didn't switch me to interest only til after i fell into arrears which like your example seemed totally arse about face but that has continued on interest only since then.

I would pay what you can, as long as you show willing to pay something it should help. I'll go dig out my paperwork to see how long it was before mine switched to interest only.

Comment

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
        As you are both unemployed now can you pay the £500pm? The reason I ask is I'm trying to get my head around why they wont change to interest only.

It is more difficult to get a interest only mortgage now, but it seems stupid not to offer you interest only in the short term.

Did they ask you what you would use as a repayment vehicle for the interest only???
        As the post was getting a little long, I didn't go into detail about our earnings. I should have said 'by July our income hadn't changed significantly' but it had changed slightly after my wife found a part time job and we were awarded Support For Mortgage Interest. The upshot was that we could manage £500 per month towards our mortgage and NRAM had all this information.

Comment

Still doesn't make sense, if they move it to interest only. The mortgage will look properly serviced you wont get any adverse on your record.

I would ask them to explain how under treating customers fairly how converting to interest only could be anything but a good. If they dont put in a formal complaint.

Comment

Any news on this???

Comment

Working...
            X